11 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2017 7:28 PM by DeanGibson

What HDTVs actually WORK with the latest Intel Compute Sticks - please share your experiences!

AAC

I love technical communities as they allow a great virtual dialog across MANY user experiences.  Recently, I tried to marry an Intel Compute Stick with my "office/test" VIZIO HDTV model E420d-A0 (about 2 years old and EXCELLENT color and clarity) ... and BSOD!  My story is documented in another forum thread about "BSOD with VIZIO HDTV, works with Samsung" BSOD with VIZIO HDTV - works with Samsung .

WHY??? To simply "replace some aging low res, finicky video projectors" and enjoy an "Intel Plug-n-Play" HDTV experience and create "large Windows 7 and 10 DESKTOPS".  My goal is to first get this to work and then move UP to the newest 60", 70" and 80" units!

BUT ... using the old glass half full versus glass half empty paradigm ... TODAY, I found an older VIZIO model no M3D4470KD (47', 1080p HDTV, purchased from Costco about 4 years ago but STILL works great as an HDTV).

Plugged our current Intel Compute Stick model no. STK1AW32SC IN and BAM ... it just WORKED on FIRST boot = AWESOME sight to see after my struggles in the other thread!

Intel, says that they have NEVER tested any VIZIO models, yet VIZIO is very popular here in Silicon Valley and I certainly do NOT want to replace our VIZIOS if I can get them to work!

The "approved" list is a small fraction of what's actually in the market today.  So, the reason I started this thread is to use this community to figure out "what works and what doesn't" so that we EACH don't have to "suffer the 8+ hours that I spent trying to get MY VIZIO to work.

So, I hope that some Intel Compute Stick engineers and product dev people look at this because "TURNING a 40" - 50" - 60" -70" - 80" HDTV INTO a Windows 10 "computer" is just amazing!

I would like to hear about ALL brands like Samsung, LG, Sony, etc. - we just happen to have purchased and like VIZIO for several years ... but, I want "MODELS THAT WORK" ... maybe, you can use this as well?

So, here is what I know after only having the Intel Compute Stick model STK1AW32SC for a few days:

1)  VIZIO 47" 1080p, model no. M3D4470KD (model about 4 years old) = WORKS FIRST TIME

2)  VIZIO 42" 1080p, model no. E420d-A0 (model about 2 years old) = does NOT WORK (other thread documents what I tried)

Anyone have a good or bad experience?

Scott

PS  I have very successfully integrated a cool - light and compact - Logitech model 830, backlit, wireless keyboard, but have not yet tried other peripherals https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZOPVSKW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 1. Re: What HDTVs actually WORK with the latest Intel Compute Sticks - please share your experiences!
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Compute Stick communities.

In regard to your inquiry, as you mentioned, Intel tested some components and those products are the ones that we can confirm as fully compatible with your Intel® STK1AW32SC compute stick. Just in case on the following link you will be able to see the tested peripherals for your compute stick:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000017555.html

In that list you will find some monitor and TV models, but also as you said, there are a lot of products in the market that also are fully compatible with the stick and that are not listed there, in those cases we based the compatibility of them depending on the video ports they have compare with the video ports the stick has.

For example, the stick has a HDMI 1.4b, so a TV that has that same port and that same version should be fully compatible with the stick, and it should work with no problems. When you use a TV that has an HDMI port 2.0, there might be compatibility problem with the stick, and the best way to confirm that will be by testing with the actual TV.

http://ark.intel.com/products/91065/Intel-Compute-Stick-STK1AW32SC

For the VIZIO TVs, the same theory applies, if the TV has an HDMI 1.4b port it should work just fine with the stick, in order to check on that you just need to look for the specifications of that TV model or get in contact with VIZIO directly to confirm what kind of video port they are using, they might have also a list of tested pheripherals:

https://www.vizio.com/

Also, I encourage all the peers viewing this thread that if they have more information or suggestions about this subject to please post their comments on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: What HDTVs actually WORK with the latest Intel Compute Sticks - please share your experiences!
            AAC

Hi Alberto,

Thank you for the details and specifically about HDMI 1.4b compatibility.  I "thought" that HDMI 2.0 is fully "backward" compactible with previous standard HDMi 1.4b?  I looked at the VIZIO specs and they don't really "specify" whether it's HDMI 1.4b or HDMI 2.0?  That said, I am pretty certain that this VIZIO has 1.4b inputs but are trying to verify with VIZIO.

What doesn't make sense, it that this same HDTV - model E420d-AO - that BSODs with the Compute Stick has zero problem with Amazon Fire Stick, Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, Sony DVD/Blue-Ray player, etc. - I have NEVER had a problem over the last 2 years that I owned the VIZIO since "Day 1" and I never have seen HDMI specs detailed out.

It sure appears to be a "hardware or software hand shake/sync issue" ONLY at boot up.  For example, I "tricked" Windows 10 somehow to boot and it's been ON for over 36 hours.  I can t urn the VIZIO "off" and even switch between HDMI "inputs" that does NOT crash Windows 10.  However, a Restart or Shut Down immediately triggers a BSOD.

Is there any diagnosis or system logs that can help?

• 3. Re: What HDTVs actually WORK with the latest Intel Compute Sticks - please share your experiences!
              Intel Corporation

Hello :

You are welcome.

Thank you very much for letting us know that information, we really appreciate that you took the time to do that.

The HDMI 2.0 should be backwards compatible, but the HDMI version 1.4b might not reach the version the TV has, in the case it is working with HDMI 2.0, so in some cases will work but sometimes will not work, to check directly with VIZIO is the best option to confirm that.

Also, depending on the TV, sometimes you have the option to do a firmware update on them in order to make it work with the stick.

Additionally, some products are just not compatible with each other, so the fact that all those products work with that same TV it means that there is an option that the compute stick might not be fully compatible with it, due to the firmware of the TV or the BIOS of the stick.

And yes, as you mentioned above, another possibility is that there is “hardware or software hand shake/sync issue" that could be related to the same compatibility problem. At this point there is diagnosis or systems logs that can help to identity exactly the reason why this problem between the VIZO TV and the compute stick occurs.

However I will do further research on this matter and as soon as I get any updates I will post all the information on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 4. Re: What HDTVs actually WORK with the latest Intel Compute Sticks - please share your experiences!
                Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to let you know that we are still currently working on this matter.

As soon as I get any details, I will post all the information on this thread.

Regards

Alberto

• 5. Re: What HDTVs actually WORK with the latest Intel Compute Sticks - please share your experiences!
                  Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to let you know that I just received the results of the research we were doing on this matter.

According to that information, the HDTVs that we can confirm as fully compatible with the compute stick are the ones listed on the link provided previously, of tested peripherals. The TV models listed there are the ones that were successfully tested by Intel, so any product outside that list may or may not work with the stick.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards

Alberto

• 6. Re: What HDTVs actually WORK with the latest Intel Compute Sticks - please share your experiences!
                    SanJM

Hi,

From day one I have problems with the handshake, with two different TV sets.

Funny thing is that it can work for several days and all of the sudden it gives the problem, only thing I can do is doing restarts or unplug HDMI cable from TV monitor and plug it back with the stick off.

Not sure if this is simply a bios hardware/ Windows 10 failure or other problem.

It's grazy to say that you can only use this stick with a few TV sets or monitors like mentioned on the list, nobody buys a stick and then buy also specific TV, mouse, keyboard, usb hub, drive or whatever.

If Intel put something on the market with HDMI 1.4b it should be downwards compatible with whatever TV or monitor with 1.2 or 1.3, like all other manufactors do, so this is not HDMI1.4b standard but Intel 1.4b HDMI. The same counts for usb 2.0, usb 3.0 and sd card slot till specific size.

When you buy a stick nobody points this out, now I also have a stick with lot of frustrations.

Now trying devcon.exe with .cmd script to restart the display adapter during boot, otherwise maybe the pin 19 trick will do it (no detection of display off).

Keep you informed.

• 8. Re: What HDTVs actually WORK with the latest Intel Compute Sticks - please share your experiences!
                      AAC

I couldn't agree with you more!!!

It's crazy to say that you can only use this stick with a few TV sets or monitors like mentioned on the list, nobody buys a stick and then buy also specific TV, mouse, keyboard, usb hub, drive or whatever.

Anyone else?

• 9. Re: What HDTVs actually WORK with the latest Intel Compute Sticks - please share your experiences!
                        Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for the suggestions provided above.

, I hope the information posted previously was helpful for you and once again, I encourage all the peers that are viewing this thread to join the conversation if they have any additional details on this subject.

Regards,
                        Alberto

• 10. Re: What HDTVs actually WORK with the latest Intel Compute Sticks - please share your experiences!
                          SanJM

Hi AAC,

Well my effort with the devcon.exe file and a sheduled task that starts a batch file (.cmd) during boot doesn't fix my HDMI problem, it probably only wakes up monitors that are in sleep mode, our stick has a HDMI output problem with certain TV sets or monitors.

When my stick starts correct the display driver gets restarted by the batch file and probably also when I have no HDMI handshake but the problem seems to be something in the stick that the HDMI output stays off during boot because of some reason.

Windows seems to start coz when I hold power button too soon for 5 seconds to switch it off and start again when I don't have a HDMI output I get a diagnostic screen, when I wait longer it just starts normal, so that I'm not interrupting the windows startup and in my router I can see it has internet connection.

In my case when it fails and restart the stick the display is back again, need to do several; restarts, switch it off and on, load bios defaults to enjoy a normal starting stick again for a few days.

Didn't try to put isolation tape on pin 19 yet but will try that this weekend, this prevents the signal "monitor off" to the stick and my last effort.

I strongly believe that the HDMI handshake fails because of the way it switching off.

Also when I put it off and start it few minutes later again it mostly works but when I leave it off for several hours it mostly fails.

Om my TV monitor can set several modes like a pc mode, means going into sleep after stick goes off, and monitor goes on when I start stick, and many other like DVD, Cable tuner etc.

PC mode also worked for several days but also failed later, set my TV monitor now on HDMI what means I need to put TV and stick seperatly on.

Always need to put TV on first, then stck and putiing it off by stck first and then later the monitor, in this way it mostly starts with a HDMI handshake,

Don't have a clue why my stick and LG monitor and earlier on a Panasonic has a handshake for several days and all of the sudden the handshake fails over and over when I leave it off for some hours, btw running latest drivers, bios etc. Windows 10, 32 bits.

• 11. Re: What HDTVs actually WORK with the latest Intel Compute Sticks - please share your experiences!
                            DeanGibson

The STK1AW32SC works with my Vizio 22" E220VA HDTV.

The only reason I have the Vizio is that someone gave it to me.  I do not buy Vizio TVs for technical reasons, and this thread adds to that.  I don't care that they are very popular in Silicon Valley;  up here in the Seattle area, we are more discriminating (grin) ...

Presently I use the STK1AW32SC with my Samsung 32" UN32J525DAF HDTV.