8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2017 3:40 PM by Intel Corporation

DH61WW MOTHERBOARD

anirban007

DOES DH61WW MOTHERBOARD SUPPORT SINGLE 8 GB DDR3 RAM?

• 1. Re: DH61WW MOTHERBOARD
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Desktop Boards communities.

To answer your question, if you need to use the board with just one memory RAM stick of 8 GB, then you will need to use a Double-sided memory stick, on the following link you will be able to confirm that information:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005810.html

Any further questions please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: DH61WW MOTHERBOARD
            anirban007

Dear Sir

What do you mean by "Double-sided memory stick"?

actually i want to install a "8gb DDR3 CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600Mhz RAM";

will these ram be supported by these motherboard?

• 3. Re: DH61WW MOTHERBOARD
              Intel Corporation

Hello :

To answer your question, the single-sided RAM is basically just the RAM modules mounted only on one side of the stick. Double-sided RAM s similar just that the RAM modules are mounted on both sides.

For example, if you use single-sided memory, in order to get 8GB of RAM you will need to use 2 sticks of 4GB, because each of them will have 4GB on one side and nothing on the other side.

When using double-sided memory, in order to get 8GB of RAM, you just need one memory stick, since it will have 4GB on one side and 4GB on the other side.

I hope this information was helpful for you.

I looked at the specifications of the memory you gave us, and it does not mentioned if it is single-sided or double-sided.

Remember that the system memory of your board shows the memory RAM should be:

Non-ECC
              Unbuffered
              DDR3 1333 MHz and DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM DIMMs

The one you gave us shows it works with 1600MHz, that is a little bit higher than how it should be, since the memory speed the board supports is 1066MHz or 1333 MHz as max speed.

None of the specifications above are showing in the link for the memory:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9

So, in this case it will be better to get in contact directly with Corsair to confirm if it is fully compatible with the board.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/company/contact

The following link shows a memory that complies with the specifications of the board:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Patriot-Signature-Double-Memory-Module/dp/B004E2382W?tag=viglink_thaus-21

That is just an option, because there are different brands and models.

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 4. Re: DH61WW MOTHERBOARD
                Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 5. Re: DH61WW MOTHERBOARD
                  anirban007

Dear Sir

I want to know whether "double-sided ram" is same as dual channel ram..

can i use quad channel ram in this motherboard(DH61WW)

please reply and thanks for the previous help..

• 6. Re: DH61WW MOTHERBOARD
                    Intel Corporation

Hello :

You are welcome.

To answer your question, double-sided RAM and dual channel RAM are not the same, the double-sided RAM is the one that has RAM modules on both sides of the stick, for example, on this board to get 8GB, you can use one stick of double-sided memory of 4GB on each side to get 8GB.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005810.html

Now, the dual or quad channel RAM is a configuration that you can use on the PC. Most of the PC’s have different colors on the memory slots, for example, this board has 2 blue slots and 2 black slots, if you use 2 sticks of RAM on both blue slots, that will be a dual channel mode, if you add one more stick will be a triple-channel mode and if you use 4 sticks that will be a quad-channel architecture, on the following link you will be able to confirm that information:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005657.html

I hope that information was useful for you, please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards

Alberto

• 7. Re: DH61WW MOTHERBOARD
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Let's explain this clearly.

Double-sided RAM (double-sided DIMMs) have memory chips on both sides of the DIMM. This can be significant because some double-sided DIMMs present these memory chips in a way that is unsupported by Intel's Desktop Boards. Intel's boards want memory to be presenting in a x8 (we say this as "by-8") organization where the memory on the DIMM is presented 8 bits (one byte) at a time. Some double-sided DIMMs (though also some single-sided DIMMs) present the memory in a x16 ("by-16") organization - and this isn't always supported by Intel's boards - or is supported but the number of these DIMMs that you can actually use is less (for example, you can only use two of them even though there are four DIMM sockets).

Most Desktop processors support two memory buses. These are referred to as having a dual-channel configuration. This allows memory transfers to be interleaved on the two buses and this the overall throughput can be increased. There are also (what they call "extreme") Desktop Processors that support three or even four memory buses. They are an offshoot of the Server Xeon processor technologies. These are referred to as tri- and quad-channel configurations.

In most cases, boards will have support for installing one or two DIMMs per memory channel. That is, a standard board will have two or four DIMM sockets. When there are two sockets per channel, the DIMMs used in these two sockets must be identical - same size, same speed, same wait-states, etc. Depending upon the board design, the DIMM(s) for one channel may be required to be the identical to the DIMMs in the other channel or they may be allowed to be different size or different speed. On your DH61WW board, you have support for standard 2nd- and 3rd-generation Desktop processors with two memory buses. Both of these memory buses (or channels, as they are more-often referred to) are represented by a single DIMM socket

Hope that explains it better. This is a terse as I can be. As you can see, there are a lot of nuances to this subject. People have written entire books about it.

...S

• 8. Re: DH61WW MOTHERBOARD
                        Intel Corporation

Thank you very much to for providing all those details on this thread.

, I hope that information was clear and helpful for you and please let us know if you have further questions or doubts about this subject.

Regards,
                        Alberto