7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2017 2:44 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel compute stick with powerbank

Halfivanov

Hello all!

I want to try intel compute stick (BOXSTK1AW32SC) on a trip as a laptop with usb monitor.

I want to use the powerbank 17000mAh with usb output 5v 3A .

Is this possible?

Did anyone have similar experience of use?

Thanks for the response!

• 1. Re: Intel compute stick with powerbank
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Compute Stick community.

In order to provide the most accurate response we will do further research on this subject.

As soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

I also encourage to all the peers viewing this thread that if they have any comments or suggestions about this matter to please post them on this forum.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: Intel compute stick with powerbank
            Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to let you know that I just received some updates based on the research we did  on this matter.

We performed a lab using a power bank to provide power only to the Intel Compute Stick (we use an independent power supply for the monitor)

The result is that it is possible in theory, but due to the energy requirements, the time to have the Intel® compute stick powered on is really short and unstable.

Lithium (Li-ion) batteries contained in an external battery exchange most of their charge at 3.7-3.8 volts. The compute stick works at 5 volts, therefore it might be enough just to turn on the ICS but becoming unstable under software requirements.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Intel compute stick with powerbank
              tgmorris9587

I don't think Intel will ever tell you that this is OK or will work reliably. However lots of users are doing just what you want to do when used in an astronomical (laptop replacement) imaging implementation. The trick is to make sure you have a power source that will deliver the necessary current/voltage for the duration needed.

I used a powerbank that supplied 3.1A @ 5V and it worked fine for my specific case. The gotcha was that when I shut down the ICS it would restart a few seconds later because the powerbank circuity was just too darn smart. In this case, the way around it would be to unplug the powerbank right after powering off or to change the BIOS setting to not power on after a loss of power.

You can find more examples if you search for "compute stick telescope" or similar.

• 4. Re: Intel compute stick with powerbank
                Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for providing that information, we really appreciate you took the time to sharing this suggestion with all the peers viewing this thread.

Regards

Alberto

• 5. Re: Intel compute stick with powerbank
                  Halfivanov

Hello Alberto!

Thank you for your work and detailed answer!

• 6. Re: Intel compute stick with powerbank
                    Halfivanov

Hello!

Thank very much for your answer!

Very helpful!

• 7. Re: Intel compute stick with powerbank
                      Intel Corporation

Hi, , You are very welcome. We do our best in order to try to assist you.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,
                      Alberto