13 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2017 7:07 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7KYK bricked

ngriaznov

Actually the same issue happen to me (described here). Same memory BTW. Unit was working normally and at some point everything freeze so I had to reset unit using Power button. No BIOS boot screen anymore.

Nothing on the screen, tried different BIOS versions (updated using security jumper procedure, since monitor screen is black).

There is no way to fix it and replacement is not an option for me unfortunately (bought NUC in a different country, I'm currently residing in).

It seems that it can happen sometimes. Be aware.

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK bricked
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC community.

We are sorry to hear that the NUC is not working properly anymore.

In this case the option we recommend to do is to test the NUC with the minimal configuration, with no hard driver/SSD and with just one memory stick, we should be able to get an error message or get the BIOS that way.

If the problem persists after that, then the next step to do in order to try to fix is the BIOS recovery, as it was described on the thread you gave us above.

If the NUC remains bricked, then the warranty replacement will be the thing to do, remember that the Intel warrant is global, so even if you purchased the NUC on a different country, we can still replace it for you.

If you are interested in the replacement, and to confirm the information above, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select NUC on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@14

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK bricked
            ngriaznov

Thanks for reply,

I tried the following:

- minimal configuration (used RAM in any possible configuration I can have using two sticks) - same result (nothing on the screen)
            - w/o RAM - LED is blinking three times - this is normal
            - w/o SSD - same result (nothing on the screen)

- BIOS update using security jumper (BIOS versions 33, 41, 42) - same result (nothing on the screen)
            I created support ticket, if no immediate resolution - will request replacement.

I will keep this thread posted.

Thank you!

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK bricked
              Intel Corporation

Hello :

You are welcome.

Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

Perfect, to replace the NUC will be the best option at this point, since we basically tried all the troubleshoot steps that we recommend to fix this problem.

Once you get the replacement NUC it should work with no problems, thank you very much for keeping this thread posted.

Regards

Alberto

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK bricked
                Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you were able to contact Intel to replace the NUC?

Regards

Alberto

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK bricked
                  ngriaznov

Yes, I was able to contact Intel for replacement. It seems that BIOS was just dead at some point. Waiting on the replacement to arrive. I hope everything will be fine after that. Thanks!

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK bricked
                    Intel Corporation

Hello :

You are welcome.

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

It is great to hear you were able to replace the NUC, the replacement NUC should work just fine.

Once you get the chance please let us know the results of using the replacement NUC.

Regards

Alberto

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK bricked
                      Intel Corporation

, I just wanted to check if you received the replacement NUC already and if it is working properly?

Regards,
                      Alberto

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK bricked
                        ngriaznov

Yes! Received it and it is working great! Thanks!

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK bricked
                          Intel Corporation

perfect, excellent, thank you very much for letting us know that information. It is great to hear the replacement NUC is working fine without any problems.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,
                          Alberto

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK bricked
                            rvengelen

Hello Alberto and others,

I tried to get a warranty replacement for my "bricked" D53427RKE NUC board back in 2015. But the process was somehow halted. Now If I log in to the support site I can't see my original support request.

Inspired by this thread I would like to re-attempt that procedure.

Could you please advise how to go about?

Regards,

Ronald van Engelen

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYK bricked
                              Intel Corporation

Hi, , Sure, remember that the warranty on the NUC is for 3 years based on the date of purchase showing on the invoice.

In order to replace the NUC, please get in contact directly with Intel so they assist you with the replacement process:
                              Chat support; http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_processor_ww_english_Chat, for phone support, depending on your location, you will see the contact information on the links below:
                              EMEA contact information: http://intel.ly/28QeAF3
                              APAC contact information: http://intel.ly/1ITfjUF
                              LAR contact information: http://intel.ly/29c0rW4
                              North America: Phone Number  1-916-377-7000, Monday - Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).

Regards,
                              Alberto

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KYK bricked
                                rvengelen

Hello Alberto,

Thanks for your reply.

I did see and try the chat option a few times this week, but it always seems down. And prior to your message, the only telephone number I saw was that of some 1990's AT&T toll-free number. So I am very happy you pointed me at the Support Contact Information for EMEA page which has a real Dutch telephone number.

In the mean time I did geta support ticket out (back in october 2016, one month before the warranty expired, the login of the support system seemed to be stuck in an endless loop). Although the contact so far doesn't look to promising ("warranty expired"), I'm still trying to convince your colleagues to help me.

I'll keep you (and others) posted.

Regards,

Ronald

• 13. Re: NUC6i7KYK bricked
                                  Intel Corporation

Hi, , You are welcome. Thank you very much for providing that information.

I sent you a private message, please check your inbox.

Regards,
                                  Alberto R