4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2017 1:48 PM by Intel Corporation

Microsoft Windows 7 installtion problem on ipm17-00 chipset

amiralikhan1979

i have hp pavilion 550-150jp with Intel chip-set ipm17-00 rev 1.04. windows 7 is not installing properly on this board. when setup starts keyboard mouse stops working after doing a lot of effort i can manage to run setup , but on completing initial setup when windows start for 1st time on account management screen mouse and keyboard stops working again i have done everything on different forums but nothing helps also added windows 7 USB image create by running utility and also by dism method but problem is same please help me with this.

• 1. Re: Microsoft Windows 7 installtion problem on ipm17-00 chipset
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello amiralikhan1979,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

The issue you are having is not related to the chipset installed on the motherboard but to the OS.

As you may know, Windows* 7 doesn't include USB 3.0 drivers, that's why the keyboard/mouse don't work. If you refer to the Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility found in our download center, the tool works better on Intel® Boards & Kits.

I would recommend using one of the two USB 2.0 ports located on the back of the chassis (in case you are using the USB 3.0 ports), in that way you will be able to get the keyboard/mouse to work.

Note that you should use a non-modified Windows* 7 image if you are using the USB 2.0 port.

In case you keep on having issues, I would recommend contacting the system manufacturer (HP) as they should have their solutions to solve this.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
          Juan Carlos

• 2. Re: Microsoft Windows 7 installtion problem on ipm17-00 chipset
            amiralikhan1979

thanks for the reply but i have done everything you have suggested and also contact hp forum support but they said in the end that they can not sort it out now what should i do

and one of the support member said

"

Unfortunately, I won't be able to help you further because the intial tool should just have worked.

This is an Intel issue with any platform with the Skylake chipset and no P/S 2 ports, not a HP issue, so you may want to seek further help on the Intel support forum."

• 3. Re: Microsoft Windows 7 installtion problem on ipm17-00 chipset
              Intel Corporation

Hello amiralikhan1979,

I am sorry to hear about the HP response. However, this is a Microsoft issue, not an Intel/chipset/Skylake issue.

Windows 7 installation media does not include native driver support for USB 3.0, so during installation, when you get to the screen to select your preferred language, a keyboard or mouse connected to a USB 3.0 port does not respond.

I did some further research and found the following website from HP that lists HP systems that support Windows 7 and Windows 8.1* and I don't see your product listed there:
              List of supported Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices

However, if your BIOS has the option to disable the xHCI you might be able to install Windows 7* and then after the OS installation, install the Intel USB 3.0 xHCI Host Controller Driver from HP and re-enable the xHCI mode again in the BIOS (or set it to automatic). We have seen some 3rd party systems that have this option. Disabling the xHCI mode makes the USB 3.0 run @USB 2.0 speeds. 

I hope this works out.

Regards,
              Juan Carlos

• 4. Re: Microsoft Windows 7 installtion problem on ipm17-00 chipset
                Intel Corporation

Hello amiralikhan1979,

I hope the recommendations provided above were helpful. If not, I would recommend contacting HP.

Regards,
                Juan Carlos