Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

P530 Graphics does not work for MS Links 2003

RJeva
Beginner

P530 Graphics does not work for MS Links 2003. I have tried all the latest drivers and none have worked.

The sky is blanked out and there image drop outs golf ball disappears. Tried installing the beta driver but

it tells me I already have the latest driver available. I have used the Links game for years on many different PC

with many different graphics cards. This is a new PC and this is the first time I have had any issue with the graphics.

Help.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

MS Links 2003 did not work that well in 2003, either. Try running this 14-year old game in compatibility mode for as far back as you can go.

Doc

0 Kudos
RJeva
Beginner

I have tried all the compatibility modes, none made any difference.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What was the last Intel graphics (and operating system) that you successfully ran this game on?

Doc

0 Kudos
RJeva
Beginner

I don't recall using another Intel graphics card before. My last PC I am using a Radeon card.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I have MS software from 2006 that will not run on W8.x and above (without problems).

Are you running Windows 10?

Doc

0 Kudos
RJeva
Beginner

Yes Windows 10 with all current updates. This is a NEW HP with 12 GB ram.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Perhaps one of the Intel support staff can help.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

rj9804, can you please provide your SSU report? Find the tool here; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility. This will help to gather some details regarding your system configuration.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
RJeva
Beginner

Attached SSU Report

0 Kudos
RJeva
Beginner

Attached DxDiag.txt

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/112525 rj9804, I have sent you a PM, please check it.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello rj9804,

Intel has reproduced a flickering textures issue with several different games and has started investigation (Bug ID 1405609824), so far it appears that it affects primarily games running on DirectX* 9 (i.e. older games). As more information becomes available I'll be updating the following thread:

Kindest Regards,

0 Kudos
hgabe
Beginner

Hello Ronald_Intel,

I have a similar problem: playing Links2003 on a Microsoft Surface 3 with Windows 10 and integrated Intel HD Graphic Card the sky is not visible, just the Links2003 Logo.I did not have that problem with the same Computer when it was running on Windows 8. The Links2003 support told me it is a problem with Windows 10 in combination with an integrated Intel Graphics card.

Do you have any solution to that problem or an idea where I could get help? Would it be helpful to also send an SSU report to the Intel staff?

Thanks and kind regards,

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello wh7112,

Thank you for your input. Below are the steps/settings that seem to promote the best game experience we can offer for this particular game.

1. Install the game/demo.

2. Install DirectPlay via Windows Features.

3. Enable Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode and "run as administrator" for LinksLauncher.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003 Demo

4. Launch Links.

5. Accept EULA. Accept firewall message if prompted. You will be prompted to create a character. Click "Cancel."

6. Links will attempt to connect to its multiplayer servers. Click "Cancel."

7. Click options > graphics settings. Select graphics device as Intel HD 530 (there are two of them; try the second one.) Ignore the message about minimum video requirements. Choose windowed mode.

Click Ok and you will be prompted about keeping the video settings. Click OK. Game will complain about resolution and crash.

8. Restart Links.

9. Make sure that the game is patched to the latest version (v1.07).

While this may not resolve all issues with this game, given the manufacturer of this game (Microsoft) offers no further support for it, we cannot commit to fixing all potential issues that may show with this game.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos