2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2017 4:05 PM by Intel Corporation

Replace Vista with Windows 10

Jg4725

I purchased my computer in 2009 (Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB memory) and all works fine. Vista is no longer supported and now Firefox is not being supported.  Can I safely replace Vista with Windows 10?  Are there any potential pitfalls? I can and will replace this desktop if needed. IF Windows 10 is added, what future do I have with old CPU and current op sys?  If I only buy myself 2 years, then I will replace CPU.

I'm not a gamer but use computer for Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, no big video requirements (basic computer needs).

Any advise is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Replace Vista with Windows 10
          Al Hill

Well, without knowing your exact CPU model number, I think it will be safe to say it is not supported.

Intel® Processor Support for Microsoft Windows® 10

However, that does not mean Windows 10 will not run on your PC.

If your graphics were provided by the CPU, they will likely not be supported as well.

Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

Again, this does not mean you will not have graphics.

Now, upgrading to Windows 10 only works for Windows 7 and Windows 8.x.  So, you will have to do a full install.  And, any applications you had will have to be reinstalled.  If you do not have your office install media, that is not necessarily a problem.  If you do not, respond back with your office version.

Plus, there is always your data to back up and restore.

4GB memory is a little on the lean side, if you are going to install Windows 10 64-bit.  But, it is not critical at this point.

Replacing the CPU a couple of years from now, in my opinion, really will not buy you much.

So, as a non-gamer, and using MS Office, you should be OK.  I say that gently because, from an official standpoint, you will not be supported hardware-wise.

I recently upgraded over 20 machines, 15 of which were similar (to yours), and all upgraded successfully.  Just saying.

Doc (all standard disclaimers apply)

• 2. Re: Replace Vista with Windows 10
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Jg4725,

At this point, I suggest you to take Al Hill advice, based on the information you provided your system does not support Windows® 10, you can still try to install Windows® 10 on your PC but how stable is going to be is hard to tell since there is no drivers available for your system.

Best regards,

Ivan.