9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2017 11:14 AM by Intel Corporation

LTE service available?

greiny

Aero board can access to the internet via LTE

so it has sim card port

but there is any instruction and description about this

what size sim card suitable?

and I want to get Aero board example with LTE

Can I get that from Rasberry Pi example?

Thanks

• 1. Re: LTE service available?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello greiny,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Aero Compute Board.

Currently, the Intel Aero board doesn’t support LTE communication, but it may support an external device in the future (the device will most likely work via USB).

As you can see in the following link: https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/25/d5/Intel-Aero-Compute-Board-Getting-Started.pdf, R means “RESERVED for future use”. We don't have information available about those parts right now.

Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Please let me know if you find the previous information useful.

If you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
          Andres V.

• 2. Re: LTE service available?
            JosL

Hello Andres,

I'm currently trying to configure LTE. I make a new image with all package for connexion. I use the Huawai LTE Module ME906E.

But I'm an error:

#usb_modeswitch -v 12d1 -p 1573 -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/12d1:1573

Look for target devices ...

product ID matched

Found devices in target mode or class (1)

Look for default devices ...

product ID matched

Found devices in default mode (1)

Access device 002 on bus 001

Current configuration number is 2

Use interface number 0

Error: message endpoint not given or found. Abort

I'm the same error with the sim card connected or not.

When you say it's not supported it's the sim card not implemented into the bios?

• 3. Re: LTE service available?
              Intel Corporation

Hello JosL,

As I mentioned in the previous post, right now, LTE communication can’t be configured. The port is currently reserved and can’t be enabled. In other words, the SIM card is not implemented into the BIOS yet.

Please keep in mind that any modification to the BIOS is the customer’s responsibility and is out of the scope of this technical support team.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,
              Andres V.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: LTE service available?
                Peter8

Andres,

can you be a bit more specific - this is a developer forum :-)

"right now, LTE communication can’t be configured."

this is not true in general, as LTE works fine with external LTE modems.

"The port is currently reserved and can’t be enabled."

To which port are you referring? to the 'reserved' m.2 port or the 'reserved' SIM card port?

"In other words, the SIM card is not implemented into the BIOS yet."

It seems that the m.2 port is disconnect from the internal USB hub/host. Even enabling the suspiciously disabled "USB Port 2" in the BIOS unfortunately did not enable it. Are you sure that there is no SIM card support in the BIOS? Looking at the wiring diagram for m.2 modems it looks very unlikely that you intercept that on the Aero board. My guess is that the USB port for the m.2 modem is somehow disabled.

As it's clearly visible from this github repo, some people do use an LTE modem on the aero: meta-intel-aero-connectivity/recipes-connectivity/autostart-modem at master · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero-connectivity · …

It seems - as mentioned in other posts here - there are some first class developers/partners and second class.

If you disabled components for future use on a consumer product - OK. But WHY do you disable it on a "Developer"-board?

I don't get it. Please make the port available.

• 5. Re: LTE service available?
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Peter8,

I understand that there has been certain confusion regarding this topic.

By “reserved” we mean that it is “reserved for future use”. It doesn’t mean it can’t be currently accessed, it just means that there is no official documentation, technical support or BIOS configuration for that specific port or slot.

There are developers who choose to modify the BIOS in order for the board to suit their needs. But that process is done without any support and is up to the developer to assume the risks that may arise from doing that type of modifications.

I assure you that we are working on the corresponding documentation and software.

Regards,
                  Andres V.

• 6. Re: LTE service available?
                    Peter8

Hi Andres,

thanks.

>By “reserved” we mean that it is “reserved for future use”. It doesn’t mean it can’t be currently accessed, it just means that there is no >official documentation, technical support or BIOS configuration for that specific port or slot.

I still don't understand why communication needs to be so abstract in a developer forum. The m.2 slot in question is nothing more than a USB port with SIM card interface. Nothing fancy at all. I understand that Intel can't help developers on getting an LTE modem running in it at the moment.

But - as the port obviously does work for some folks - can't you just tell us on how to enable that USB port?

>There are developers who choose to modify the BIOS in order for the board to suit their needs.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Do you mean "modify" as in changing the BIOS settings or "modify" as in flashing a custom BIOS?

Regards

Pete

• 7. Re: LTE service available?
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Peter8,

I’m sorry if there has been certain confusion regarding the information provided. I hope the following statements clear your doubts:

•   “can’t you just tell us on how to enable that USB port?”
                      That may be part of the documentation we are currently working on, but since there hasn’t been an official statement regarding this topic, the method can’t currently be shared.

•    “Do you mean ‘modify’ as in charging the BIOS settings or ‘modify’ as in flashing a custom BIOS?”
                      I meant “modify” as in flashing a custom BIOS.

I hope you find the previous information useful.

Regards,
                      Andres V.

• 8. Re: LTE service available?
                        Peter8

Hi Andres,

I am not sure what you mean with "there hasn’t been an official statement regarding this topic". The LTE modem option is even advertised in the Features Guide which even misleads customers.

https://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/453901-164636/Intel_Aero_Compute_Board_Hardware_Feature_Usage…

2017-04-06-212926_877x565_scrot.png

This is very frustrating. You sell a product for developers specifically to allow quick adoption to the platform and then hold back on things.

Can you provide pointers on how to modify the BIOS or any projects that attempted it? (even if not official ones)

Pete

• 9. Re: LTE service available?
                          Intel Corporation

Hello Pete,

What I meant is that there hasn’t been an official statement regarding the release of the corresponding guide to enable that port.

Unfortunately, we can’t recommend any guide that has not been officially tested.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,
                          Andres V.