6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 1:16 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel Smart Sound Technoligy and microphone quality

Tia

Hi everyone, I hope that this is the right section to post my question.

I own a Acer VN7-572G laptop and I am currently experiencing problems which I suppose related to Intel drivers. Few weeks ago the microphone of my laptop stopped working and device manager indicated an error (yellow exclamation mark) with Intel Smart Sound Technology OED. After some fighting with the drivers I got the microphone back, but now the recording quality is so bad that other people can barely understand me (for example over skype). I have tried to reinstall audio drivers provided by acer for my pc, but nothing changed. What is surprising to me is that the internal microphone (but not the external one, which works fine) is controlled by Intel Smart Sound Technology, and not by Realtek (see photo 1). Any idea why?

In the last days I have also uploaded the drivers for Intel SST OED via Driver Booster, but again my microphone does not work since my laptop is unable to find the proper drivers (see photo 2). Any suggestion to fix the problem is of course highly welcomed.

Immagine.jpg

Immagine2.jpg

• 1. Re: Intel Smart Sound Technoligy and microphone quality
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Tia,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Please bear in mind that your best contact support is with your computer manufacturer as they are more familiar with your system and how all the components interact with each other.

Intel sells products to various OEM’s (Original Equipment Manufacturers), who then integrate them, with other system components (power supplies, disk drives, add in cards, software, etc). These components may be customized to the OEM’s specifications.

However, you can try installing the graphics driver from the Intel website, the graphics driver contains the audio driver and when you install the graphics driver you are installing the audio driver as well.

You can download the graphics driver here:
          Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

I suggest to uninstall the graphics driver you already have installed and the audio driver, after that you can go ahead and install the Intel® generic driver from the link above manually, please check how to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows 8*/8.1*

There is also a possibility that the audio output is defective and you will need a replacement for the unit.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 2. Re: Intel Smart Sound Technoligy and microphone quality
            Tia

Hello Ivan,

thanks for your answer. I have tried to do as suggested, but apparently it did not work. Here what I did in detail:

1) I've uninstalled via device manager Realtek high definition audio, Intel SST, and Intel HD Graphics 520

2) Reboot

3) Tried to install "Intel Graphics Driver for Windows [15.45]" (exe version). Installation failed because of error "this driver has not been validated for this computer. Installation will be interrupted"

4) Used Intel Driver Update Utility to find proper driver; two matches after scan, but again the same error during installation

5) Reboot; after rebooting the laptop is back to the initial state

I am not sure what I did wrong and why I can update Intel drivers

• 3. Re: Intel Smart Sound Technoligy and microphone quality
              Intel Corporation

Thanks for the information, try to install the driver manually as it shows on the link above, you will need to use the zip file to do manual installation and not the exe file.

Uninstall the old driver again and do not restart your system, also disconnect the internet to avoid Microsoft to push a driver update.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 4. Re: Intel Smart Sound Technoligy and microphone quality
                Intel Corporation

Hello,

I’m following on this post to ask you if you were able to install the driver or if the issue still persists, if the issue still persists I would strongly recommend contacting your laptop manufacturer as they are more familiar with your system and how all the components interact with each other.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 5. Re: Intel Smart Sound Technoligy and microphone quality
                  Tia

I apologize for the lack of answer, but I had a quite busy time.

Regarding the issue: I have tried to first uninstall Intel HD Graphics 520 via device manager, but after about 1 min my system automatically reinstall it. So I just uploaded (this time successfully) the driver to the last version available on the Intel website, but it did not fix my initial problem with the microphone (which is still controlled by Intel SST). As suggested, I will also try to contact the laptop manufacturer.

• 6. Re: Intel Smart Sound Technoligy and microphone quality
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Tia,

I have sent you a privat4e message.

Best regards,

Ivan.