6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2017 5:44 AM by StammBar

Cloned SSD Drive doesn't boot in identical NUC5CpYH

StammBar

Hi,

I need to set up several identical machines for testing and production purposes and so far my 1st NUC5CPYH is finished and working with Ubuntu 14.04 and 32Gb SSD & 4Gb Memory. I've cloned the SSD and copied to a new identical SSD. The copy works fine in the orginal NUC. I've now tried to boot a new identical NUC using this SSD and it failed to recognize the drive and tries to boot with LAN....failing with DHCP. The drive is detected in boot setup but doesn't work when selected. The drive is working in the this NUC because I installed from USB my Ubuntu OS on the SSD. After doing that, I thought perhaps the new NUC would be ready to accept the cloned SSD but it still failed to boot from the cloned SSD.

Does anyone know what is wrong/what I am doing wrong? The reason for buying several copies of the same NUC machine is the hope I can just clone drives and push them in, I would hate to think I have to install every single NUC with all the software I need!!!!

Hope you can help.

Regards,

Robin

• 1. Re: Cloned SSD Drive doesn't boot in identical NUC5CpYH
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello StammBar,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Just checking – right now you only have these two NUC5CPYH, correct? You clone the SSD on the original NUC and then you tried it on the other NUC and it does not boot but the clone SSD works on the original NUC, correct?

What software do you use to clone the SDDs?

You might want to try with Macrium Reflect?

Please provide us with the SSDs model?

Make sure the configuration in BIOS is set the same on both systems.

Is your BIOS update? Is it the same BIOS version on both NUCs? Try updating the bios , you can download the latest version here:
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26445/BIOS-Update-PYBSWCEL-86A-?product=85254

Please check BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Please let me know this information.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 2. Re: Cloned SSD Drive doesn't boot in identical NUC5CpYH
            StammBar

Hi Ivan,

I have current two NUC5CPYH and another 2 are on the way.......I'm hoping to solve this issue or I'll be losing a lot of sleep and nerves if I have to build every OS and install all the software I need.

I am using 32Gb Transcend SATA 3 SSD (for all the NUCs). The cloned drive I created using "dd" command with an iMac, something I have been doing successfully for all SD chips and drives over the last 3 years and everything has worked in hardware including Odroids and Shuttle PCs (this is the hardware I plan to replace with the NUCs). I am assuming the BIOS is the same because they are the same machine with the same production dates, but I guess it would be best to check. How do I find out which BIOS version I have? If there is a difference then I will update and test again. Could there also be a problem with UEFI booting? I have found a link describing problems with Ubuntu but their solution was to use version 10, but that was in the past, I'm using 14.04 LTS (can't update this version because of software issues):

UEFI boot fails when cloning image to new machine

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Robin

• 3. Re: Cloned SSD Drive doesn't boot in identical NUC5CpYH
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Have you consider using later Ubuntu 16.04.2 just to try to isolate the issue?

I hope the other NUCs don’t last too long to arrive so you will be able to test those as well and if the clone SSD works with the other then most likely this NUC can be defective, please bear in mind that Intel provides 3 years warranty for these units.

Please let me know how it goes, I will be more than glad to help you solving this issue.

Ivan.

• 4. Re: Cloned SSD Drive doesn't boot in identical NUC5CpYH
                StammBar

Hi Ivan,

I've just done some late night research and I do not think it is the 2nd NUC that has issues, but both of them (I think perhaps even the new ones that are coming). As I mentioned, I installed Ubuntu on the 2nd NUC that doesn't boot with the cloned SSD, and decided to put this SSD into the 1st NUC. Now this 1st NUC doesn't boot. In otherwords, I can only work with the SSD from each NUC where I installed Ubuntu. I decided to take a look at the BIOS (F2) on both NUCs and they are identical versions apart from the curious naming of the UEFI Boot Priority. I have attached screenshot and it is the same for both NUCs......if I put in a SSD that is bootable, the UEFI disk has ubuntu in the name. The SSD that doesn't boot the NUC has no ubuntu in the UEFI name, and this is with both NUCs!!!!! What's going on with the UEFI Boot? More importantly, how do I fix it?

Cheers,

Robin

P.S. I've set the "Boot Configuration": OS Selection to Linux on both machines!!!

This SSD boots!!!!

NUC_BOOTS.JPG

This SSD does not boot!!!!

NUC_NOBOOT.JPG

• 5. Re: Cloned SSD Drive doesn't boot in identical NUC5CpYH
                  StammBar

Hi Ivan,

And now for some morning research.......I installed the HD image to a 1Tb HD and tested it in 2nd NUC.....NO BOOT. But in the 1st NUC it boots. So the problem is not the NUC nor the the HD but UEFI Boot Loader!!! How do I disable the security? I have tried changing the settings in the Boot Setup but the combination of clicks so far, such as disabling UEFI or enabling UEFI and setting the "Clear Secure Boot Data" doesn't seem to bring me the result I want, i.e. booting from the cloned SSD in the 2nd NUC.

Please can you help me disable UEFI security and enable booting from the Legacy system or tell me how to set my own custom key so I can use UEFI security.....I guess these are the only 2 realistic options.

Best regads,

Robin

P.S. This also explains why I can clone SSD and use them in Shuttle PCs, because the models I have don't us UEFI Boot Loader!!!!

• 6. Re: Cloned SSD Drive doesn't boot in identical NUC5CpYH
                    StammBar

Hello Ivan (and the NUC BIOS Team),

It does appear that this problem has been documented and a fix reported way back in January 2014:

Linux on the NUC: Using Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, and the SteamOS beta | Ars Technica

Saddly a fix to the BIOS has not been delivered or the combination of setting needed perhaps are not clearly documented (yes I did flash the BIOS to the highest version, 86A.0058). The problem is the name of the efi file which Ubuntu names grubx64.efi but the NUC BIOS wants bootx64.efi. I followed the instructions in the link using a USB Ubuntu installer and followed the Repair Disk option to eventually enter into a Shell window.

The following commands were entered:

$ mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

$ mkdir /mnt/EFI/BOOT

$ cp /mnt/EFI/ubuntu/* /mnt/EFI/BOOT

$ mv /mnt/EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi /mnt/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi

The reboot worked!!!!

This kind of fix is not exactly designed for your normal customer and one I hope the NUC team will quickly resolve (they've had since Jan 2014 to release a fix). Let's face it if a customer decides to remove their DH and put it into a new NUC (should something break after the 3 year warranty) it will simply never work unless they know how to fix it (or search this forum for the answer ).

Hope you can pass this on to the right NUC team for their prompt consideration.

Best regards,

Robin