3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2017 2:28 PM by Intel Corporation

Cloning "C" Drive to 600P?

orbeavhawk

I presently have my OS on "C" Drive which is on my Intel 330 Series SSD.......I am considering buying the Intel 600P Series SSD to install in a new build and

then I'd like to Clone my present "C" Drive to the Intel 600P....then remove the 330 Series SSD....and start Booting from the 600P.

PLEASE tell me what I will need to know/do to have success at doing this.

BYW:  My OS is W10 64 Bit;  will be using a Intel I5 7600K, in a Z270 Chipset Mobo; I think a Asus z270E STRIX Mobo

TKS  michael

• 1. Re: Cloning "C" Drive to 600P?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello orbeavhawk,

We understand that you're looking to build a new computer using the Intel® SSD 600p Series as your main drive. You would also like to migrate your Windows* installation from the SSD in your current PC to this new system. We regret to inform you that there are a couple of problems with this, while we can make some suggestions to help you, in the end it's possible that you may need to perform a clean installation of Windows* using a new product license instead.

- Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® SSD 600p/Pro 6000p Series.

Your current SSD, the Intel® SSD 330 Series, is a 2.5" (form factor) SATA 3.0 (Interface) solid-state drive. The drive that you're interested in purchasing, the Intel® SSD 600p Series, is an M.2 (form factor) PCIe NVMe* (interface) model. The difference in form factors is not an issue here, but migrating your OS from a SATA to an NVMe* drive is not recommended and might result in boot failures. Because of this, we usually recommend for you to perform a clean installation of Windows*, after which you would need to move your data to the new drive.

While we don't support this, we have received some reports from customers who have successfully migrated their OS from a SATA drive into the 600p Series by using either a paid migration tool supporting SATA to NVMe* or Clonezilla* (paid versions of Acronis*, Todo Backup*, etc. You will need to check with the respective software vendors to confirm).

Aside from this, there is one more possible issue that we would like to warn you about. Please keep in mind that the following is outside of our support scope, you will need to verify this information with Microsoft* support in order to confirm. Windows* is fairly lenient when it comes to hardware changes and product activation. In most cases you will be able to migrate your OS from one drive to the other without having to reactivate your OS. However, most software licenses don't allow for you to move your OS to a different computer. You OS is likely to detect a significant hardware change such as a new motherboard, and it may then refuse to activate unless you contact support or purchase a new product key. The following articles may help:

- Reactivating Windows® 10 after a hardware change - Microsoft* Support.
          - How to restore a Windows® 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device - Microsoft* Wiki Article.
          - How to Use Your Free Windows 10 License After Changing Your PC’s Hardware - by How-To Geek.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

We hope this information helps, and saves you some possible headaches.

Best regards,
          Carlos A.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cloning "C" Drive to 600P?
            orbeavhawk

Carlos A.  .....Thank YOU!

• 3. Re: Cloning "C" Drive to 600P?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Orbeavhawk,

You're welcome. We're always glad to help.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Best regards,
              Carlos A.