Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Trying to replace Raid 1 Hard Drives with Larger Hard Drives - Need Help

KRoma3
Beginner

Hi, I found what appeared to be easy to follow instructions on how to replace Raid 1 Hard Drives with larger Hard Drives without having to re-install anything. The first step is to replace one of the hard drives with the larger one, then boot to Windows, then open Intel Rapid Storage Technology and click "Rebuild to another disk". I don't have that option. I see both hard drives; the old one shows as 'Degraded' and the new one shows as 'Failed'. There is no option to 'Rebuild to another disk". Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

If I remove the new hard drive and replace it with the original old one, when Windows starts, it rebuilds it automatically.

Thanks, Karen

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello KarenR:

Based on the information you gave us, it seems to be that the hard drive that is showing up as "failed" was working under a different RAID structure, that is why it is not recognize as a member disk, so the next step that we can try now will be to get into the Ctrl + I menu, in there you will be able to see the hard drives, on the drive that says "failed" please use the option of "Reset to NON-Raid", and then try the same steps you described previously in order to be able to use the new hard drives.

Also, if there is any important information on the drives we suggest to do a back up of it before trying any changes to avoid losing any data.

What is the model of the board?

Which Windows version are you using?

Please let me know the results of trying the step above.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
KRoma3
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KarenR:

You are very welcome.

If by any chance you have further questions about this matter, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos