2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 5:51 PM by Intel Corporation

Which are the optimal temperatures for i7-6700 HQ CPU?

intel_92

Hi dear community,

I would like to ask which are the optimal temperatures for i7-6700HQ CPU:

1.While the system is idle:

2.While the system is under high load

3.Which temps are dangerous

4.And which temperatures would be OPTIMAL while playing some heavy game like GTA V for 1 hour without break for an example?

And is downclocking of the CPU safe?Could it lower the CPU temperature?Also would the game lag if the CPU is downclocked?Also on which temperature this CPU starts throttling,and how can I test it to know if it is throttling?And which temperatures could short the CPU's lifespan?

Please answer to my questions!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

• 1. Re: Which are the optimal temperatures for i7-6700 HQ CPU?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello intel_92,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

In this case, there isn't a correct answer for your questions; however, the following behavior is expected:

1.While the system is idle:

• You can expect temperatures from 30°C to 40°C.
          2.While the system is under high load:
          • Temperatures may vary from 70°C to 90°C.
          3.Which temps are dangerous:
          • Over 100°C, information can be found here (*look for TJunction).
          4.And which temperatures would be OPTIMAL while playing some heavy game like GTA V for 1 hour without break for an example?
          • As the temperature fluctuates, there isn't a specific temperature, it can go up to 100°C and could drop to 80°C or 90°C.
          5. And is downclocking of the CPU safe?Could it lower the CPU temperature? Also would the game lag if the CPU is downclocked?Also on which temperature this CPU starts throttling, and how can I test it to know if it is throttling?And which temperatures could short the CPU's lifespan?
          • Altering the CPU frequency may affect the system stability and it is unsupported, it also voids the warranty of your product.
          Intel® Processors will shut down your system automatically in case the system overheats, this to prevent any damage to the system.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
          Juan Carlos
          • 2. Re: Which are the optimal temperatures for i7-6700 HQ CPU?
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello intel_92,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post if you need additional information.

Regards,
            Juan Carlos