4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2017 8:59 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel RST RAID1 - step by step creation

tatik63

Cannot create RAID1 with two 1TB disks. Please let me know what is still missing to see RAID creation option in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application.

My PC configuration is as follows:

Processor: Intel Core i3 - 6100

Motherboard: Gigabyte B250-DS3H

Chipset: Intel® B250 Express Chipset

BIOS Version: F2

BIOS Date: 11/24/2016

Disks: Seagate ST31000524AS, 1TB

WDC WD10EZEK-35WN4A0, 1TB

1. 1. I have installed the Intel® RST Driver 15.2.0.1020 from Gigabyte CD delivered with motherboard. This driver is described as Intel driver for AHCI and RAID mode. But in the Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I can see only Intel(R) 200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller and not Intel® RST driver.

So I downloaded the driver from this website  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26361/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

and install it again. It offered me two options: either to uninstall or to repair the program. This indicated that the program was already installed. Nevertheless I chose to repair and then I restarted my PC. I realized that I have the Intel® RST aplication installed but I do not see any option to create RAID and I still do not see the Intel® RST driver in the Device Manager.

1. 2. In the Peripherals section of BIOS under "SATA And RST Configuration" there are two options available : either "AHCI", or "Intel RST". When I choose AHCI option everything is OK but when I choose Intel RST option, PC will not boot. 

1. 3. Also I found out I should have something called "the RST option ROM", which should be possible to launch from the POST screen by touching "CTRL  i". When I do it nothing happens. So my BIOS probably does not contain the RST option ROM.

Is the RST option ROM the crucial condition to create RAID or is it only the alternative way to create it from the Intel® RST aplication for Windows ?

If it is really crucial, is it possible to download and install another BIOS on my motherboard, which contains the RST option ROM? And if so, from where ?

1. 4. Furthermore I am not able to find out which controller my motherboard contains to see, if it is one of the controllers supporting RAID1 with 2 disks listed in Help file of the Intel® RST aplication (ICH7R, ICH7DH, ICH7MDH, ICH7M, ICH9R, ICH9DH, ICH9DO, ICH9M, ICH9M-E, ICH10R, ICH10D, ICH10DO, 5 Series/3400 Series) So I do not know if it matches this requirement.

Please, be so kind and provide me with step by step procedure to create RAID1 with two 1TB disks on my PC configuration.