Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14517 Discussions

2,66 GHz detected as 1,86 on booting process

idata
Employee

It hapens all the time when I turn my PC on.

In the other side, if I take a look to my system properties the processor is still read as 2,66GHz as well.

Unfortunately its performance doesn't indicate any speedy process like it used to be. Even its rating on Windows Experience Index is only 1.0

Therefore my one and only question is: what's wrong with my processor?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Sounds like your CPU isn't recoginsed properly.

Can you explain more details, any changes you have made etc.

idata
Employee

firstly thanks for responding.

but it's too bad that I can't remember all details needed.

in other words, it just happened when I use it and then I only find it read as 1,86ghz on the next booting.

since that incident, I haven't made any change on my cpu except replacing old memory and display adapter.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Did it happen once and now it's OK or is it still doing it?

Are you happy to take a look in the BIOS and check the settings?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

it's still doing the same old way to boot

I've visited bios check many times but when I forced to make my processor to be detected as 2,66ghz (by changing one of the power options) the cpu doesn't start at all.

it's just beeping once and then restart but everything turns back to 1,86ghz detection.

I'm still wondering how could it be that way, even some technician said this is their first case

what a mess.. haha

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Try resetting the the BIOS to optimised defaults and see what happens, it could be that your heatsink has come loose and the chip is throttling back to stop it's self being damaged.

If all else fails then I guess it could be damaged, you could RMA it if possiable.

0 Kudos