2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2017 2:11 PM by Intel Corporation

UDP Broadcast Flood and Other Issues

forum1

I'm quite familiar with various third-party remote keyboard apps, but only recently started using the Intel Remote Keyboard. Unfortunately, the Intel offering is far from meeting expectations. The biggest issue for me, and the one that caused me to remove the software from the various Intel NUC systems I admin, is a flood of UDP broadcast packets constantly sent out over the LAN. Presumably this is for auto-discovery, but there is no apparent way to disable auto-discovery on the PC daemon and manually connect/pair by IP address/host name on the mobile app.

Other issues I found but had been living with include:

- The QR code camera image being upside down and mirrored making it very difficult to frame the QR code for initial auth (using Nexus 5X mobile device, Android OS 7.1.1, not rooted).

- Doesn't use Android's run time permissions model with suitable explanations for Camera and Microphone permissions as needed. If implementing this I would also like to see the explanation note that once finished with initial auth one can revoke the Camera permission with no ill effects. These are things that make end-user guidance and adoption much easier in a privacy conscious environment.

- As others have reported, I have experienced hit or miss sessions where sometimes the cursor movement is very jerky for a period of time. Other third-party LAN/WLAN keyboard apps do not have this problem, so I am confident my network and hosts are not to blame.

It would be nice if Intel addresses these issues and puts out a solid contender for remote keyboarding.

• 1. Re: UDP Broadcast Flood and Other Issues
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello : First of all I just wanted to let you know that Intel really appreciates and takes under consideration all the feedback and suggestions provided by all the peers in our communities in order to improve our products.
          So, we will review this case in order to try to address the problems that you reported regarding the Intel® remote keyboard.
          As soon as I get any updates from our research, I will post all the details on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: UDP Broadcast Flood and Other Issues
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

I just wanted to let you know that I received some updates in regard to this matter and the thing is that unfortunately, there is no solution to try to fix for this problem. As you mentioned previously, to uninstall the application will be the best thing to do for this type of scenario.
            We apologize for any inconvenience and we really appreciate you took the time to provide the feedback above.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
            Alberto R