1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2017 2:47 PM by Intel Corporation

Screen resolution auto adjustment

Adamski

Hi all

I recently purchased a Compute Stick to run some old assistive technology software (designed for kids with special educational needs) on 55'' display. These titles are all Win 10 compatible and launch successfully... however, some of the older titles attempt to change the native resolution (1920 x 1080) to 800 x 600. On all our other computers the screen resolution adjusts automatically so the programs run full screen. The Compute Stick however will not allow the native resolution to be changed - instead the software runs in a 800 x 600 window in the middle of the screen, surrounded by black borders. I can manually scale the picture up using the Ctrl+Alt+F10 hotkey shortcut - but is there any way to disable the restriction on automatically adjusting the resolution? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance,
      Adam.

• 1. Re: Screen resolution auto adjustment
          Repeat%20Offender

Are you sure that it's the Compute Stick and not the TV? It's kind of normal for a TV signal to display in the same aspect ratio as the input and this requires blank bars on either side to display an old 4:3 image on a current 16:9 display. Picture size adjustments may result in an 800 x 600 field of pixels in the middle of a 1920 x 1080 display. Have you checked whether the TV has a setting to tell it to expect a PC signal on a given HDMI port rather than a TV signal and so enable it to be stretched over the entire screen, regardless of aspect ratio? What is the exact manufacturer and model of your TV? Do you mean to say that other computers also running Windows 10 on the same TV on the same HDMI port function differently? Can you supply images of what you see on that TV with Compute Stick input and with known good input?

• 2. Re: Screen resolution auto adjustment
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to for all the information posted previously, we really appreciate your collaboration.

To :

Please provide the information requested previously, that will help us to better assist you in trying to fix this problem.

According to the technical specifications of the compute stick, it supports the 1920 x 1080 resolution as you can confirm on the following link, please check page 12:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/computestick/STK1AW32SC_STK1A32SC_TechProdSpec.pdf

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 3. Re: Screen resolution auto adjustment
              Adamski

Many thanks for your input guys.

As requested, I've taken a couple of photos to better illustrate my problem.

A few facts before we get to the photos:

1. The native resolution for both screens photographed below is 1920 x 1080.

2. The software in question (Big Bang) is programmed to resize the screen resolution to 800 x 600.

3. When the user exits the program, the native resolution should be restored.

When the software is launched from a desktop computer (connected to the 55'' display via HDMI), the screen resolution is automatically changed to 800 x 600 as expected:

3.jpg

When the Compute Stick is connected via HDMI and the process is repeated, the resolution remains at 1920 x 1080 and the program is displayed in an 800 x 600 window in the middle of the screen:

4.jpg

I repeated the test on a Dell 22'' monitor (again connected via HDMI) and the results were the same. When launched from a conventional desktop PC, the resolution is successfully changed to 800 x 600 (as it is programmed to do):

1.jpg

When launched from the Compute Stick, the same 800 x 600 window is present whilst the resolution remains at 1920 x 1080.

2.jpg

I can access the scaling menu by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F11 and manually scale up, but I'd like to figure out what is preventing the software from automatically resizing the screen resolution.

Thanks again,
              Adam.

• 4. Re: Screen resolution auto adjustment
                Repeat%20Offender

Well, that's just the darndest thing. On older LGs, there is an info button on the remote that tells you what the resolution of the input signal is. Is that how you determined the resolutions of the respective inputs? Under the Picture Size menu on the LG, is it set to 4:3 aspect ratio or Just Scan? Are the older PCs running Windows 10? Are they using Intel Graphics like the Compute Stick or a separate card with different drivers? Have you tried upgrading the set of 5 drivers that Intel provides? I have been able to change video modes successfully in Windows programs on my Compute Stick, so I can't figure out why you are seeing the difference that you are.

• 5. Re: Screen resolution auto adjustment
                  Repeat%20Offender

OK, I just thought of a possible explanation for the observed behavior, and I can't get to sleep until I post it. How about 8 bit color? Older hardware generally supports 8 bit color, but newer hardware often doesn't. Thus a program that tried to switch to a video mode with a palette would do so successfully on older PCs, but probably not on the Compute Stick. The failover code seems to be producing good images but neglects to switch the video mode. If the authors of the software were made aware of this issue they could probably come up with a patch pretty quick, assuming they are still in business. It seems like an easier path than trying to coerce Intel to include drivers for 8 bit color for their product. Maybe Intel could provide an answer as to whether their drivers are capable of palettized video modes more easily than I could test for the capability myself.

• 6. Re: Screen resolution auto adjustment
                    stanchev36

I have the same problem with my Ideacentre stick 300 (same like compute stick 1st generation with z3735f and HD Graphics (Bay Trail)) connect on Samsung Monitor and TV.

• 7. Re: Screen resolution auto adjustment
                      Intel Corporation

Hello:

Once again thank you very much to for all the details and suggestions provided above.

To :

Since you are using a Lenovo stick, the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with them in order to get further assistance:

Lenovo’s phone number: 855-253-6686

Lenovo’s support site: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/

To :

Thank you very much for providing the pictures.

Please try the following driver 4474:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26176/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-8-1-for-Intel-Compute-Stick-STK1A32SC

Also, a BIOS update will be a good thing to try, on the link below you will find the instructions of how to do it using the F7 method:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

And this is the .BIO file needed to do the update:

Version 0032:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26536/BIOS-Update-SCCHTAX5-86A-?product=91065

Please let us know the results of trying the steps above.

We will do further research on this matter, in order for us to do that, please provide the information requested on the following thread:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Also, please get into the Intel® graphics control panel, please choose the “display” tab and take a screen shot of it so we can see the options available in there.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 8. Re: Screen resolution auto adjustment
                        Adamski

Cheers guys, your help is much appreciated. Unfortunately the BIOS/driver updates didn't resolve the issue (previous driver was 4364).

I've attached the requested diagnostic info to this post.

The software I used in these tests is Big Bang from Inclusive Technology (Big Bang | Inclusive Technology ). There are a number of other titles which product exactly the same result. If you need access to this software, the MSI can be downloaded here:  BigBang.msi - Google Drive

The same results can also be achieved using basic screen resizing utilities such as:

QRes: QRes - Windows screen mode changer download | SourceForge.net

MultiRes:  EnTech Taiwan | Utilities | Multires

Give me a shout if you require any further information.

Thanks,

Adam.

• 9. Re: Screen resolution auto adjustment
                          Repeat%20Offender

Actually, I don't see this problem on my Compute Stick. The mode switch to 800x600 works with the EnTech utility, but the picture fills the whole screen, thus with the wrong aspect ratio. Do you have Picture Size set to 4:3 aspect ratio on your LG TV?

• 10. Re: Screen resolution auto adjustment
                            Intel Corporation

Hello:

Once again thank you very much to  for the information provided above.

To :

Thank you very much for attaching the file to this thread, we really appreciate that.

Now, we will start a research on this subject.

As soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 11. Re: Screen resolution auto adjustment
                              Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to let you know that I just received some updates on this matter.

We tried to replicate the issue in our lab, and the issue was not replicated, the Intel® compute stick worked just fine, so we came to the conclusion this problem could be related to a compatibility problem between the stick and that specific program.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 12. Re: Screen resolution auto adjustment
                                Adamski

Not to worry.

Thanks to Alberto and Repeat%20Offender for all your help.

All the best,
                                Adam.

• 13. Re: Screen resolution auto adjustment
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello :

You are welcome.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto

• 14. Re: Screen resolution auto adjustment
                                    Dax

This is not an issue with software compatibility, this is an issue with the current driver not featuring gpu display scaling.  Unlike other intel igps there is no option to "stretch" the resolution to fit the display in the intel graphics settings.  I have the same stick as the original poster and setting even the operating system resolution to anything other than the display's native resolution will create this black border effect.  There have been several issues posted on the forums here about this

1 2 Previous Next