8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2017 6:40 AM by Intel Corporation

Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK will not resume from sleep a few times a month; hang/freeze, not a crash, needs to be powered off to restart

philipd

On July-1-2016, I purchased an Intel NUC Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK kit.

Along with the NUC6i7KYK, I purchased:
      - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 SSD MZ-V5P512BW
      - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8G) SO-DIMM DDR4 2800 Memory Model F4-2800C18D-16GRS
      - Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) license and media

I installed Windows 10 Pro, plus all the then-current hardware drivers from the Intel support site for the NUC6i7KYK device. The NUC6i7KYK power adapter is connected to a UPS. The system is connected to the local wired network, not using the wireless network adapter. There is one external USB drive permanently connected (used for backups). The original monitor was a Dell monitor connected using an HDMI cable; the current monitor (recently purchased) is a BenQ monitor connected via a mini-DisplayPort cable.

Since the beginning, I have experienced occasional lockups/hangs from sleep mode; when this happens, the power light on the NUC6i7KYK is on (solid), the monitor is in sleep state, but the system won't respond to keyboard or mouse activity or to Ctrl-Alt-Del. The only way to recover is to hold down the power button until it shuts down, and then power it on again. This happens maybe once or twice a month, with no apparent pattern; sometimes it will happen twice in a few days, sometimes not at all for 3-4 weeks. The event viewer does not show any errors at the time of the hang; no events at all are listed in a several-hour period from when the system presumably locked-up until the system is powered off and on again. There are no crash dumps when this happens (and crash dumps are enabled in Windows). The system just seems to stop, it doesn't crash. There is lots of free space on the system drive. I usually only leave one or two browser applications running (with several tabs open in each); I normally shut down any other applications before I let the system sleep.

I have upgraded the Intel drivers as they have become available. And, I have installed all Windows updates as they have become available. I am not using any insider or beta Windows releases. The Winver utility currently shows Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1607 (Build 14393.693).

The system BIOS is currently version 0042 (Sep-29-2016). I used Samsung Magician to upgrade the firmware on the SSD M.2 drive - it is currently upgraded to the latest, version 2B0QBXX7.

I have installed drivers from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/89187/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK

The current versions of some of the installed drivers are:
      - Intel Iris Pro Graphics 580 - driver Intel version 21.20.16.4590 (Jan-18-2017), updated from v15.45.10.4542 (Dec-1-2016)
      - Intel wired network - Intel driver version 12.15.23.7 (Aug-4-2016)
      - Samsung NVMe controller - Samsung driver version 1.4.17 (Dec-11-2015)
      - Bluetooth 19.40.1702.1059 (Jan-9-2017)

I have tested the memory using the Windows memory diagnostic tool as well as the Passmark Memtest86 application (from a bootable USB drive). Both of these show zero memory errors.

I have run SFC/scannow in Windows and it shows no errors.

Are there any suggestions regarding what might be causing this problem? Is it possible that there is a hardware problem?

• 1. Re: Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK will not resume from sleep a few times a month; hang/freeze, not a crash, needs to be powered off to restart
          richpjr

I have the exact same thing happening to me.  I am also on the latest version of everything and also experience about the same frequency as you are.  Would love to figure out what the issue is.

• 2. Re: Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK will not resume from sleep a few times a month; hang/freeze, not a crash, needs to be powered off to restart
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

I understand you have are currently experiencing random freezes with the Intel® NUC6i7KYK.
            I also noticed every driver was updated. Let me try to help on this matter.
            You mentioned having one external drive connected permanently.
            Have you tried testing disconnecting the drive for few days?
            Did you check SSD integrity? I understand you can download diagnostic tool from Samsung web site

I was concerned about the memory type, If you see memory specifications, this Intel® NUC supports DDR4 at 2133Mhz. Based on your current memory part number you have DDR4 2800 Mhz. I was wondering if you tested different memory as well.

@richpjr, Are you running the same configuration? what steps have you tried to solve this issue?

Allan.

• 3. Re: Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK will not resume from sleep a few times a month; hang/freeze, not a crash, needs to be powered off to restart
              philipd

Thanks for the information and suggestions.

The Samsung site link that you provided doesn't seem to show any "diagnostic" software. It does list the Samsung Magician application which I already have installed; that application shows that the firmware on my Samsung SSD is the latest available firmware, that the condition of the drive is "Good", and that the SMART diagnostics do not show any errors. Is there a specific diagnostic application that you are suggesting that I try?

The specific G.Skill memory that I have installed is listed as compatible and tested at System Memory for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK

I do not have any other memory DIMMs available that I can swap for these, and I don't want to purchase alternative memory just to try this. My understanding is that the memory only needs to be a MINIMUM of 2133MHz, and faster 2800MHZ memory should not be a problem.

I did notice just now that the listing for this specific memory on the page above has a comment "select XMP in BIOS" - is this required and would this make a difference? Where in the BIOS setup do I select this option?

I can disconnect the external drive. However, I have no way of quickly determining whether this helped. I may have to wait 3 or 4 weeks before the system hangs again (or it might happen tomorrow).

• 4. Re: Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK will not resume from sleep a few times a month; hang/freeze, not a crash, needs to be powered off to restart
                Intel Corporation

Hi,

I am not aware of any other diagnostic tool for your Samsung drive, you may need to contact them directly for further information.
                I understand the Intel® NUC does not have XMP options at BIOS level. This seems to be available for desktop motherboards.

Please try testing the external drive and let me know your findings.

Allan.

• 5. Re: Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK will not resume from sleep a few times a month; hang/freeze, not a crash, needs to be powered off to restart
                  philipd

This morning, the NUC suddenly powered off while I was actively using it (typing an email message at the time). The system stayed powered off for several seconds (the power button indicator light was off), and then automatically rebooted. The NUC power adapter is ocnnected to a UPS so it didn't lose power.

Again, as with previous hangs, there is no crash dump.

The following are excerpts of a few selected items from the System event log around the time of this shutdown/reboot. There are lots more "informational" entries in the event log, and there are a few "DistributedCOM" error entries (I didn't include those below).

Log Name:      System
                  Source:        Virtual Disk Service
                  Date:          3/15/2017 7:15:30 AM
                  Event ID:      4
                  Level:         Information
                  Description:
                  Service stopped.

[There are NO entries in the System event log between 7:15AM and 9:35AM, or in the Application event log.]

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Time-Service
                  Date:          3/15/2017 9:35:23 AM
                  Event ID:      37
                  Description:
                  The time provider NtpClient is currently receiving valid time data from time.windows.com,0x9 (ntp.m|0x9|0.0.0.0:123->23.96.94.144:123).

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Time-Service
                  Date:          3/15/2017 9:35:37 AM
                  Event ID:      35
                  Description:
                  The time service is now synchronizing the system time with the time source time.windows.com,0x9 (ntp.m|0x9|0.0.0.0:123->23.96.94.144:123).

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-General
                  Date:          3/15/2017 9:35:37 AM
                  Event ID:      1
                  Description:
                  The system time has changed to 2017-03-15T13:35:37.650000000Z from 2017-03-15T13:35:37.651684300Z.
                  Change Reason: An application or system component changed the time.

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-General
                  Date:          3/15/2017 9:40:40 AM
                  Event ID:      12
                  Description:
                  The operating system started at system time 2017-03-15T13:40:40.488149000Z.

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot
                  Date:          3/15/2017 9:40:40 AM
                  Event ID:      27
                  Description:
                  The boot type was 0x0.

Source:        nvme
                  Date:          3/15/2017 9:40:42 AM
                  Event ID:      11
                  Description:
                  Physical Device 0x144d Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB is on-line

Source:        EventLog
                  Date:          3/15/2017 9:40:45 AM
                  Event ID:      6008
                  Level:         Error
                  Description:
                  The previous system shutdown at 9:23:41 AM on 3/15/2017 was unexpected.

[NOTE: The system had NOT shut down at 9:23AM as listed in the entry above; it was still working, and I was using it, up to sometime between 9:35 and 9:40AM (I didn't note the exact time).]

Source:        EventLog
                  Date:          3/15/2017 9:40:45 AM
                  Event ID:      6005
                  Description:
                  The Event log service was started.

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
                  Date:          3/15/2017 9:40:43 AM
                  Event ID:      41
                  Level:         Critical
                  Description:
                  The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
                  Date:          3/15/2017 9:40:43 AM
                  Event ID:      172
                  Description:
                  Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, Reason: NIC compliance

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Bits-Client
                  Date:          3/15/2017 9:42:09 AM
                  Event ID:      16393
                  Level:         Warning
                  Description:
                  BITS has encountered an error communicating with an Internet Gateway Device.  Please check that the device is functioning properly. BITS will not attempt to use this device until the next system reboot. Error code: 0x80004005.

Is any of this information helpful in isolating the problem? Is it possible that this is caused by a hardware defect in the NUC itself? Is any additional information from the event log useful for investigating this issue?

• 6. Re: Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK will not resume from sleep a few times a month; hang/freeze, not a crash, needs to be powered off to restart
                    Intel Corporation

Hi,

Thank you for the information.This is an unfortunate issue that may require warranty service. I am sorry for the inconvenience. My recommendation would be contacting Intel support and check the warranty options for your Intel product.
                    Please try this link for contact information

I just sent a private message to your Inbox. Please check .

Allan.

• 7. Re: Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK will not resume from sleep a few times a month; hang/freeze, not a crash, needs to be powered off to restart
                      philipd

Intel replaced the NUC for me a few days ago, under warranty. I swapped the memory and SSD from the original NUC to the new one, and it booted without any issues. I shipped the old NUC back to Intel support. I updated the BIOS on the new NUC to the latest version (0042, the same version as I had on the previous NUC).

Since this is a new CPU/motherboard, Windows 10 needed to be re-activated and wouldn't allow me to re-activate online. I needed to call Microsoft support and enter a new activation code that they provided (after, I assume, they checked that my Windows 10 license key hadn't been used multiple times) and that worked; this was a relatively easy process and only took a total of about 5 minutes.

It's only been a few days with the new NUC, but I think it's behaving fine. After using this one for a few days, I now think the old NUC may have never properly entered actual sleep mode; with the new unit, the front panel power light goes dark when it's in sleep mode (and it wakes fine with just keyboard or mouse activity); on the old unit the power light was always on solid even when it was supposedly in sleep mode. I have not changed any power settings in Windows with this unit compared to the old unit, and I had not changed any BIOS settings on either this unit or the old one.

The other minor issue that I had noticed on the old NUC, but hadn't reported above, is an occasional brief glitch in the graphics display. Occasionally (maybe once or twice an hour), there would be a very brief (much less than a second, barely noticeable) flash of random vertical lines down a random portion (about a fifth or so) of the screen. I have not seen this with the new NUC.

With the replacement NUC, and with it working correctly so far, I consider this issue resolved and closed.

• 8. Re: Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK will not resume from sleep a few times a month; hang/freeze, not a crash, needs to be powered off to restart
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Philipd,

I am glad the Intel® NUC is working for you. Thank you for sharing details about it.

Allan.