9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2017 4:13 PM by Intel Corporation

Reboot on shutdown when connected to display usb hub

mvv_vmd

Hi,

We have had the issue of not being able to shutdown some NUC's for about a year now. Nothing would fix it, tested many BIOS options and always running the latest updates. I have now found out this only happens when the NUC is connected to the display (Dell) usb hub. A workaround for now is to not use the usb hub but I would like to.

Has anyone found a way to connect a usb hub and be able to shutdown the computer also?

• 1. Re: Reboot on shutdown when connected to display usb hub
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you for letting us know the BIOS is up to date, that is something we always recommend to do in this type of scenarios.

As you mentioned above, the problem seems to be related to the Display USB hub itself, since the NUCs work fine without using that device.

In order for us to be able to confirm that information, could you please provide the model of the Display USB hub that you are using? This is in order for us to be able to check the specifications of it.

Which Windows version are you using on the NUCs?

You gave us three different models of NUCs in the post, just to confirm, the problem happens with all those three models or just with one specific model?

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: Reboot on shutdown when connected to display usb hub
            Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if you saw the information we are requesting previously and if you need further assistance with this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 3. Re: Reboot on shutdown when connected to display usb hub
              mvv_vmd

Hello,

We are having these issues with Dell P2217H displays in combination with the NUC5i5RYK. We are running Ubuntu 14.04 on these machines exclusively, for about 40 workstations right now.

Machiel.

• 4. Re: Reboot on shutdown when connected to display usb hub
                Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for providing that information and the model of the display, we really appreciate that.

Just to confirm, you mentioned you are using a USB hub, bay any chance do you know the model of it?

Also, which video port are you using to connect the USB hub and the Dell display to the NUC?

Any questions, please let us know.

Regards

Alberto

• 5. Re: Reboot on shutdown when connected to display usb hub
                  mvv_vmd

The usb hub is build in to the display, so I'm not sure what model they put in there. The NUC is connected to this hub with the back  connectors.

We use displayport for video.

• 6. Re: Reboot on shutdown when connected to display usb hub
                    Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for letting us know that information, we really appreciate that.

Now, there might be a graphics driver missing for Ubunto, on the following link you will be able to find graphics drivers for that operating system, please try to install the proper driver from there:

https://01.org/

Additionally, I just wanted to let you know that the tests done by Intel on the NUC were done using Windows, however we know there are many users using Ubunto with no problems with the NUC.

So, in order to get further support for Ubunto, please visit their forums, in there you will find different peers that should be able to provide comments and suggestions for this scenario:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Also, just for testing purposes, do you have the option to test the NUC with Windows?

This is in order to confirm if the same issue happens when using that operating system, if you do not have that option we understand, that is not a problem.

Please let me know the results of trying the drivers above.

Regards

Alberto

• 7. Re: Reboot on shutdown when connected to display usb hub
                      mvv_vmd

Pretty sure this is not a graphics issue but a issue in the bios. The computer after shutting down, just booting back up is not done by the OS.  I think something in the bios is triggered by the usb hub causing the startup.

I have tested these drivers before with bad results on Ubuntu. I don't have a copy of Windows to test, it's all OEM licensed the couple we do have.

• 8. Re: Reboot on shutdown when connected to display usb hub
                        Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for providing those results, we really appreciate that.

You mentioned the problem only happens with this monitor. When you use a different monitor are you using also the USB port?

Just to confirm, are you using USB 2.0 or 3.0 on the monitor?

Sometimes there is an option to do a firmware update on the display; did you check with Dell about this option?

Dell’s phone number: 1 800-624-9897

Dell’s support site: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04

Regards

Alberto

• 9. Re: Reboot on shutdown when connected to display usb hub
                          Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if you saw the information we are requesting previously, and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards

Alberto