1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2017 12:34 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption

stealth70mde

Hello, this is my first post but not one of joy... I have bricked my new 7 days old NUC...

I have spent the last 24 hours trying to revive it but alas, no joy, the BIOS has died.

After a failed update from 0042 to 0042+Integrator Toolkit the device only reboots cyclically without video output or keyboard input.

I have to mention that I was able to go in the BIOS once after that update to do a F9 (reset to Default) and since then it is bricked

After this failure, I tried every method posted by Intel but none works (F7 and the 3 seconds power button). I have tried these countless times with different BIOS versions on a Fat32 USB key, one at a time.

Then I went more serious and opened up the back cover of the NUC to proceed with the BIOS recovery and the dreaded jumper removal.

This it is where I have spent the last 12 hours. It doesn't work.

I also tried removing one of the two memory sticks and the NVMe drive.

Procedure Recovery Mode - Jumper out, USB stick with BIOS file in, Power ON. Result: Absolutely nothing. USB stick light flashes for 2-3 seconds (loading the BIOS I presume) then there is nothing. No screen, no keyboard. I still let it do what looks like nothing for a period of between 2 - 30 mins.  Then I shut it down myself. Remove the USB stick, replace the jumper over positions poles 1&2. Power ON. Then it starts doing the the cycling on/off as before...

I did the little procedure above SO many times and expecting different results. This IS the definition of insanity

Did this with BIOS versions 42, 41, 37, 35 and 34, numerous times, in different order...  No screen input, no keyboard, nada, just spinning happily in emptiness until I turn it off.

THEN... There was something very different with BIOS 0033!!  I thought I wasn't insane after all since I had a different result.

BIOS 33 does bring my screen up and accept my keyboard inputs. It even asks me sometimes what I want to do (little menu with F2, F4, F7, F10). Cool.

I also see the Intel NUC logo with the F2 F7 choices the other times I don't see the little recovery menu.

But it doesn't work... After my choice of Fx it just reboots and cycles showing me the Intel NUC logo screen with choices at the bottom right. Nothing I can choose on that screen, it just reboots every 5-10 seconds.

This is where I am at... I really think I did all I could to save it but obviously not enough.

Intel support team, you're my only hope.

Thanks for your time.

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption
          MarcosdM

I possibly have a similar problem. Just received the NUC, installed 1 x 16 GB stick of Kingston RAM (2133) and Samsung 500 GB SSD, connected to monitor with HDMI cable, and monitor is not receiving signal. Tested this on all three monitor HDMI ports. (Monitor is a LG 39" smart tv). I've ordered and should be receiving today a brand new HDMI cable (Amazon Basics). The cable I'm using is an old one, I don't even remember how I acquired it. I really hope that will solve the problem.

My windows 10 pro installation is sitting on my flash drive, waiting to go. I'm really hoping this sorts itself so I can start video editing.

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello stealth70mde,

I am really sorry that your Intel® NUC Kit is having this issue. As you mentioned in your post, the unit seem to have bricked, and since you already try recovering the BIOS but the issue persists the next step should be replacing the unit. I must say that we have not received reports where the Intel® Integrator Toolkit is involved in issues like this one you mentioned. So, I just want to know; did you download the Intel® Integrator Toolkit and the BIOS from Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK? What exactly did you change when proceeding with the update?

MarcosdM, thank you for joining the thread. I noticed from your description that the issue you are reporting is quite different, but let me know how it goes with the new cable, I would like to know the results. However, if the issue persists I recommend creating a new thread in order to isolate that matter.

Regards,

Amy.

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption
              stealth70mde

Hello Amy,

Thank you for your response.  Yes, I used the exact same link you posted in your reply to get the Integrator Kit.

I used BIOS 0042 (KY0042.bio) that also came with the kit. Then I proceeded to follow the example given in the PDF that also came with the kit.

Since I wanted to learn the tool, I changed pretty much every values that were given in the example except the Microsoft licensing section which I have no use for.

Here is a picture I took while it was working. Setting the values was not the problem and having them stick was not the problem. I was able to reboot many times after setting these.

IMG_2207.jpg

The problem came where I was following the part of the example about creating a new, custom BIOS based on these values. I followed the part where I would replace the image shown at boot with one of my company.  I followed the guidelines, my image was a jpg, something about a similar size of the original largest files given by Intel with the kit.

Was less than 120KB.  I built the new BIOS with that (no screenshot for this one unfortunately) but I do still have the custom BIOS I built.

Problem came when I wanted to apply this new custom BIOS to the NUC. This is where it started acting up...

Thank you Amy for your help so far.

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption
                MarcosdM

Thank you Amy

I went through everything again. Appears to be I didn't seat my RAM properly. :blush

Everything seems to be functioning smoothly. I'm very impressed with the i7 and Skull Canyon now that everything is installed. This looks to be ideal for editing short videos in Hitfilm Express.

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption
                  Intel Corporation

Thanks to you for the explanation.

Well, from your description I do not see any steps out of the normal, it seems like it was the unit that could not take the new changes and just like you mentioned started acting up. But, let's do this let me set up my Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK, and follow the same steps you did. I will be sharing my results here.

In the meantime try checking the replacement options for your unit, here you can find the link for the chat support Contact Support, and here you can find the phone contact info for all the GEOs or locations supported over the phone:

Regards,

Amy.

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption
                    stealth70mde

Hello Amy,

Okay. If we go in "private message" mode I can send you the details of exactly what I wrote, my resulting custom BIOS and the picture I used (hopefully I kept it...).

I hope you have a NUC that can be unbricked if the same happens to you.

I was wondering, do you have anything to force a BIOS to be reinitialized with defaults when this happens?  Like another special bios or parameter I can pass from a file when doing the USB stick procedure without the jumper?

Asking because I do get a response from BIOS 0033 (monitor and keyboard) so I know the unit is not entirely dead. My guess, but just a guess, is that the unit is trying to validate something (Intel or custom) and it fails and stops there. If I could get past that, gets some default values and adjust after if need be, I would be alright with that.

Thank you.

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption
                      Intel Corporation

Sure, I can send you a PM to get all the details. I would be a lot easier to follow the exact same steps you did. 

That would be achieved with the BIOS recovery, removing the jumper has to happen with this method. The recovery will set all the settings to default.

Regards,

Amy.

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption
                        stealth70mde

Well Amy, very good news!

I unbricked my NUC using the most unorthodox method.

I don't want to share this here in the public forum but it definitely worked...  I'm a happy camper again and my NUC seems to be 100% working like before but there are 2 weird things...

1. I lost my UUID, it now shows as a long series of "F"

2. I lost all the information about the Board Information when I look in Visual BIOS, pretty much the only thing that was filled by Intel at the factory.

After countless reboots and button combos, plug, unplug, try this, try that, it works.

VisualBIOS.png

Note that on the picture above I added the extra information myself using the ITK (ITK6.efi).

The red squares are the information that is wrong/missing that I cannot edit using the ITK and that vanished after I was able to revive the NUC.

Will PM you what I did, maybe you will be able to understand what happened, because I don't. Maybe will help you guys reduce the number of RMAs on these devices because BIOS being nuked...

Best Regards.

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption
                          Intel Corporation

stealth70mde, those are really good news! I am glad to hear you were able to bring the Intel® NUC back. 

Thank you very much, I will be waiting for those steps. I sent you a PM so, please use that message to reply.

Regards,

Amy.

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption
                            stealth70mde

Hello Amy, I did respond to your PM. You don't have it?

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption
                              Intel Corporation

I just checked my inbox, but I do not see your message. Use this profile to send the message; https://communities.intel.com/people/Amy_Intel, I will be checking my inbox for your message.

Regards,

Amy. 

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption
                                stealth70mde

Amy_Intel, did you receive my PMs? I did not hear from you...

I received 2 notifications from Inter that my messages to you were approved.

• 13. Re: NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption
                                  Intel Corporation

Let me check, thanks for the reminder.

Regards,

Amy.

• 14. Re: NUC6i7KHK Skull Canyon - Cannot Boot - BIOS Corruption
                                    ngriaznov

I have exact same issue, but 33 BIOS didn't change anything, just black screen. Tried security jumper update - same thing. Month since purchase, everything was fine and sudden freeze (under normal operation) - no BIOS logo or anything since then.

1 2 Previous Next