14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2017 11:34 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3

mabdelraheem

Hi,

I purchased the NUC6I5SYH around a year ago.

I installed a 128GB OCZ Vertix 4 SSD and Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 16GB RAM DDR4 2133 HX421S13IBK2/16.

I installed Linux Mint Xfce 17.3 from a USB flash drive and this setup has been working smoothly for almost a year.

2 days ago, the NUC totally froze and when powered off/on, sometimes boots and after login within 1 min, it suffers from total freeze... and sometimes it doesn't boot and gives "kernel panic - not syncing: attempted to kill idle task".

When i tired to boot from live USB to install the system again, once i reach the Mint desktop, it crashes.

I ran Memtest86+ for almost 6 hours over night with no errors reported.

Appreciate to have your advice.

Best Regards

Mohammad

• 1. Re: NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello mabdelraheem,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

Can you please try the following:

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
          Juan Carlos
          • 2. Re: NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3
            mabdelraheem

Hi Juan,

Thanks for your reply.

The latest BIOS released is version 0057. Hence, I have downloaded the file SY0057.bio and will use it for the flashing.

I just have two inquiries:

1- Can I use the F7 BIOS Update method or a BIOS recovery process via power button instead of the security jumper method?

2- I don't currently have a Windows 10 copy, can I try re-installing the Linux Mint XFCE 18.1?

Best Regards

Mohammad

• 3. Re: NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3
              N.Scott.Pearson

In this case, the recommendation is to use the security jumper-based BIOS Recovery process. This ensures that all portions of the firmware (there's a lot more than just a BIOS in the image) are fully reinstalled.

The reason that Juan Carlos is suggesting that you try installing Windows 10 is that Intel does not officially support Linux on this box and does not test with it. Thus, for Intel, it is the only way they can compare the results that you are seeing with the results that they are seeing. You can ignore this recommendation and reinstall Linux instead, but ICS will not be able to offer the same level of support.

All this said, I am inclined to say that there may be a problem with your memory (a marginal/failing SODIMM). The fact that you might have passed a memory test, even one hours or days long, is not a guarantee that there are no issues in the memory. I have a SODIMM that passed many days of testing with MemTest86+ yet I know for a fact that it is bad and that every NUC I put it into will (eventually) have problems as a result.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3
                Intel Corporation

N. Scott Pearson, thank you for your recommendations.

mabdelraheem, you can use the F7 method or the power button method; however, as Scott mentioned, using the Recovery with the security jumper ensures that the BIOS is fully reinstalled and avoids further issues, in addition to this, it is also good to test different stick of RAM (if you have the chance).

Please check this article from How-To Geek in regards to Windows 10 download and installation, you may find this useful.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
                Juan Carlos

• 5. Re: NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3
                  mabdelraheem

Hi N. Scott Pearson & Juan,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

My BIOS was on 28 firmware and I have updated it using the security jumper as instructed to 57 but nothing solved the problem. Same freeze if the system boots or same kernel panic during booting. Also booting different live linux distribution to install the system failed as before.

I have done the following:

1- Updated the BIOS from 28 to 57 using the security jumper as shown in the attached pic

2- Cleared the CMOS as the instructions and reset BIOS to factory settings

I am currently downloading Windows 10 and will install it as per the instructions in the article sent by Juan. Once finished, will feed you back with the result.

N.Scott.Pearson It might be the RAM indeed however i find it hard to have 2 RAM modules faulty. I purchased the Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 16GB RAM DDR4 2133 HX421S13IBK2/16 a year ago and used them only in the NUC. Do you think that the RAMs can get faulty within only a year although the Memtest86+ passed several times as attached?

Anyway, what i will do is unplug 1 RAM module from the upper slot and leave the lower and try to boot my system or re-install it again. If the problem still persists, i will swap the installed one with the other module that i have removed earlier (also will make sure it is installed in the lower slot) and try to boot/re-install my system. I believe if both trials failed, then it will be definitely the NUC which i find it weird also because i have been using this device for 1 year only but my suspection to towards the NUC is increasing after i did a little search regarding early versions on the NUC with BIOS older than 42 as stated in the below discussion in the intel community regarding WHEA error and early released BIOS causing physical damage to the NUC.

NUC6i3SYK - Machine check exception - no boot

I have also seen the below statement which also points the fingers towards a faulty NUC, and unfortunately the conditions apply on my device as it came out of the box with BIOS 28 and I purchased the device during Mar-2016 before the below announcement:

"

4/22/16

Intel has characterized the "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" issue on the Intel® NUC Kits that have been returned to Intel. Intel has released BIOS 0042 which correctly initializes the voltage regulator and eliminates the electrical over-voltage which has been proven to cause the "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" issue. Customers who continue to experience the "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" issue are encouraged to contact Intel Customer Support.

Intel recommends customers update the Intel NUC to BIOS version 0042.  Systems with a product number of SAxxxxxx-503 or later, or systems with a blue dot label added to the Intel NUC and the outer box, have already been updated to BIOS version 0042.

"

FAQ for SY.pdf

I really hope that the NUC is not physically damaged and it is just a RAM issue. Although this will raise the question, does this voltage issue has anything to do with the RAM failure!!

To double check that I have isolated the root cause of the problem, i will order 2 brand new RAM modules and try them but i need your advice which of the below do you recommend more and if non listed, please recommend a pair for me:

1- Corsair CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16 Vengeance 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz C16 204 Pin SODIMM Performance Notebook Memory - Black

2- Corsair CMSO16GX4M2A2133C15 Value Select 16 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz CL 15 260 Pin SODIMM Laptop Memory Kit - Black

3- Corsair CMSX8GX4M2A2400C16 Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz C16 204 Pin SODIMM Performance Notebook Memory - Black

4- HyperX Impact 8 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 SODIMM Memory Kit (2 x 4 GB)

5- HyperX Impact 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 2133 MHz DDR4 SODIMM HX421S13IBK2 - Black (like my old ones)

I only use my NUC with XFCE OS:

1- PLEX media server

2- PLEX connect for ATV3

3- Transmission client

4- SSH server

5- VNC server

BIOS_28_Before_Upgrade.jpgBIOS_Update_Log_from_28_to_57.jpgMemtest86+.jpg

Best Regards

Mohammad

• 6. Re: NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3
                    Intel Corporation

Hello mabdelraheem,

Thank you for the update.

I would prefer to test one stick of RAM at the time other than getting new RAM, as you mentioned, the issue could be the one reported before and if that's the case, the unit has to be replaced.

Let's wait until you test the unit with the new OS and one stick of RAM (lower RAM slot preferably), in case you keep on having the same issue, then we will go with an RMA.

Please let us know how it goes.

Regards,
                    Juan Carlos

• 7. Re: NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3
                      mabdelraheem

Hi Juan,

During my search, I found a discussion that really surprised me regarding product change notification PCN 114478 - 00 released on 18-Mar-2016 which states that there is a hardware change in the NUC board by increasing 3 capacitors from 22 micro farad to 47 micro farad!!!

https://communities.intel.com/external-link.jspa?url=http%3A%2F%2Fqdms.intel.com%2Fdm%2Fi.aspx%2FB5452385-FB3E-4336-ABCE…

Description of Change to the Customer:

The Intel® NUC Kit, NUC6i5SYH and Intel® NUC Kit, NUC6i5SYK SKUs listed in the products Affected table below will have the following change.

1. The BIOS will be updated from SY0028 to SY0039. To access the release notes or get a copy of the BIOS for evaluation, go to http://downloadcenter.intel.com.

2. The capacitors at locations SC181, SC190, and SC282 will be changed from 22uF to 47uF to improve memory compatibility.

PCN.JPG

https://communities.intel.com/external-link.jspa?url=http%3A%2F%2Fqdms.intel.com%2Fdm%2Fi.aspx%2FB5452385-FB3E-4336-ABCE…

When i check the back of my NUC, it said H87090-502 which unfortunately means that my device is affected. This actually makes sense because the device was on the old BIOS firmware (version 28) out of the box.

SA H87090-502.jpg

What makes me surprised is that I am the support manager for a very respectful & giant telecommunications vendor. Once a defect in the HW is identified by our R&D, a global field change order is distributed to all our customers world wide that includes the conditions of applicability, the problem details, symptoms/impact and the solution with the way forward. And of course higher revisions replaces the current defective products.

I wonder, how come something like this happen with a giant like INTEL!!!

Since I know now that my current product is affected, appreciate to feed me back with the rest of symptoms/impact i will be facing along with my options as a way forward.

Best Regards

Mohammad

• 8. Re: NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3
                        N.Scott.Pearson

Intel does indeed release Engineering Change Orders (ECOs). The problem is that the NUCs are all sold through retail channels (there are no direct customers) and thus it becomes the channel's responsibility to pass on these ECOs - and they do a ****-poor job of it (IMHO).

So, what are your options? Well, you should directly contact Intel Customer Support. They will happily replace your NUC while its warranty remains in effect. Here is contact information by geography:

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for US and Canada

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Europe, Middle East and Africa

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Asia-Pacific

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Latin America

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3
                          mabdelraheem

Hi N.Scott.Pearson,

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I am currently doing the final steps as instructed although i already know the answer for them. I now have a Windows 10 bootable USB installation media as per the instructions sent earlier by Juan.

What I will do next is:

1- Remove the upper RAM module and try to boot my system/boot from a live Mint XFCE for re-installation/try to install windows 10                   , if any failed, then...

2- Remove the lower RAM module and install the one that I have removed in step 1 in the lower part then do the same test

I believe I already know the result because I was not convinced that my RAMs are faulty and what increased my suspision that the NUC was the faulty one is the above threads I have shared regarding my serial number and the old BIOS.

In addition to this, I have run the Memtest86+ again for over 24 hours as shown below and it was good as shown below.

Will keep you posted with the results.

Best Regards

Mohammad

Memtest86+.jpeg

• 10. Re: NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3
                            Intel Corporation

Hello mabdelraheem,

Please keep us updated.

In case you keep on having the same issue you can use the contact information provided by N. Scott Pearson to contact support.

Regards,
                            Juan Carlos

• 11. Re: NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3
                              mabdelraheem

Hi Juan & N.Scott.Pearson,

Unfortunately, problem is still persistent.

I have tried both RAM modules in the lower slot and left the upper module empty (1 module after the other).

I got the same result. The only difference this time was i got the warning at the BIOS screen that RAM has been decreased which is logic because I used only 1 8GB module in the lower slot for each trial separately.

I am currently out of troubleshooting steps and I believe i will be contacting the support as advised for an RMA

Best Regards

MohammadHW_Posion.jpeg

• 12. Re: NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3
                                Intel Corporation

Hello mabdelraheem,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,
                                Juan Carlos

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3
                                  mabdelraheem

Hi Juan & N.Scott.Pearson,

I have received the replaced unit via rma successfully 2day. However, when i sent the faulty unit, i sent everything including the original box, power adaptor, mounting bracket and the only parts i have removed were the ram and ssd.

Now i have the nuc only and can't power it up.

I am looking for a power adaptor now but the fsp065-10aaba is not currently available for me and i found another 1 called fsp065-rebn2.

Could u plz tell me the difference and that if fsp065-rebn2 is suitable for my nuc?

Also, if i didn't find any fsp product, can i use any other adaptor that has the same power/voltage/amper?? (65w-19v-3.42a-5.5mm/2.5mm)

What I have found so far is FSP120-ABBN2, and I am believed it is more powerful. Do you think it will work or it can damage the NUC?

Best Regards

Mohammad

• 14. Re: NUC6I5SYH Kernel Panic not syncing on Mint XFCE 17.3
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello mabdelraheem,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,
                                    Juan Carlos