5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2017 1:19 PM by Intel Corporation

UPM can't be synchronized

Christof_M

Hello,

as I struggled now with the Galileo 2 for several weeks as basically none of the Arduino libraries work without modification and obviously SPI with the Arduino IDE also run's only super slow, I wanted to give the Intel IoT developer tool a try. Even though the installation seems to be far away from being straight forward, finally I managed to do so.

Unfortunately, when it tries to synchronize, it get's errors to update UPM. I tried to do manually, but it also fails. Output below:

root@galileo:~# opkg install upm

Upgrading upm from 0.7.0-r0 to 1.1.0 on root.

Downloading http://iotdk.intel.com/repos/3.5/intelgalactic/opkg/i586//upm_1.1.0_i586.ipk.

Removing package upm-dev from root...

Configuring upm.

Collected errors:

* pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //var/lib/opkg/info/upm-dev.list: No such file or directory.

* pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //var/lib/opkg/info/upm.list: No such file or directory.

* pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //var/lib/opkg/info/upm.list: No such file or directory.

* pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //var/lib/opkg/info/upm-dev.list: No such file or directory.

Is it also normal that during every start I'm asked to set the default workspace folder?

It's also running quite slow on my i7 based Mac...

I downloaded the yocto image from the intel server directly, as I obviously can't unpack the file supplied with the IoT (with the ending xz)

If there's a good beginners guide for the usage and setup of the Intel IoT, I'd be glad. On the Intel server, everything is distributed. Like the installation, the usage seems to be far more complex than the Arduino IDE.

Thanks for your advice !

Christof

• 1. Re: UPM can't be synchronized
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Christof,

Thank you for contacting us.

First, we understand you’re using an Intel IoT developer Tool and are running on Mac, are you referring to the Intel System Studio? If that’s the case, then yes, there’s a guide to the complete installation process and information on how to synchronize and update packages.

Take a look at https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/705853 for more information.

If you’re not using the Intel System Studio, then you shouldn’t see any issues while trying to update UPM. We update upm using the same command successfully. Please confirm you’re using ISS.

In regards to the default workspace question then no, I believe you should only specify a workspace folder on your first time running the Intel System Studio.
          The guide to setup the Intel System Studio IoT Edition is https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-system-studio-iot-edition-guide-for-c

Let us know if this is what you were looking for.

Regards,
          -Sergio A

• 2. Re: UPM can't be synchronized
            Christof_M

Dear Sergio,

thanks a lot for your answer.

Yes, I think the name was Intel Studio IoT. If you start it, it's called Eclipse.

I followed exactly the manual you advised. But it fails during the update. I think there's an issue with the image.

As I wrote before, there are also multiple possibilities to get a yocto image from the intel server. The one which was installed together with the Studio IoT is not working at all !!!

The one which boots is coming from the step by step manual for Galileo. But this can't be updated.

As the update also doesn't work manually by ssh to the Galileo, I think there's something wrong with the image or the package sources. The Galileo has internet connection. This can't be the cause...

Cheers

Christof

• 3. Re: UPM can't be synchronized
              Intel Corporation

Hi Christoph_M,

I believe your error is because you haven’t updated UPM and MRAA on the terminal. First, we want to know which image you’re using. Please use https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-galileo-linux-step1  for steps on how to use the latest Galileo image.

Next step is updating UPM from the terminal using Putty, not inside ISS. Run the command:
              echo "src mraa-upm http://iotdk.intel.com/repos/3.5/intelgalactic/opkg/i586" > /etc/opkg/mraa-upm.conf
              opkg update
              opkg install mraa
               opkg install upm.

Next, using the ISS, try once again to update UPM, using the command from the initial post. These were the steps we did to update UPM.

It’d also be helpful to confirm if you’re using the latest ISS version available. Once you’ve confirmed you’ve everything properly set try once again and let us know your results.

Regards,
              -Sergio A

• 4. Re: UPM can't be synchronized
                Christof_M

Dear Sergio,

this worked, thank you !!!

May I suggest to update the image file on the intel server to prevent other people running into the same issue?

Cheers,

Christof

• 5. Re: UPM can't be synchronized
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Christoph,

Thank you for letting us know you manage to get this working. We’ll make sure to pass your feedback to the right team. Don’t hesitate to contact us again if help is needed.

Regards,
                  -Sergio A