Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Microsoft bluetooth mouse problems while using wi-fi

MĐuri
Novice

Hello,

I have got my self a bluetooth (Microsoft 3600) mouse the other day, hoping for an upgrade from a low cost wireless device. While the mouse itself is very good ergonomically and in pointer movement and precision, it seems that the wi-fi is interfering with it, causing it to move erratically or to loose connection altogether.

I have read many forum threads mentioning this issue but most of them conclude that 2.4Ghz networking of wi-fi and bt is the cause. Isn't there any solution other than switching to a 5GHz router or dropping the bt mouse/device?

I run a HP Pavilion i3 machine on Win 8.1. While not an expert, I have of course done all the driver updates, as well as windows ones... Maybe I missed out on something, I saw in one of the threads here that I can generate a report file for someone to check out and diagnose potential problems. Any help is greatly appreciated, I hope I can use my mouse and the web without sacrificing any of them to each other

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MĐuri
Novice

Well, after more time of keeping track of things, I have to say that the router procedure did little to help, but the problem can definitely be overridden by keeping the mouse switched on before turning on the computer. I guess the wireless module respects the priority of whichever signal it connects to first, and it seems that the bt signal gets the upper hand here. I do get pointer issues sometimes, but it's one out of 4-5 times now, and it usually goes away after a win restart.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Miloš,

Since Bluetooth* (and pretty much everything else in your house including your microwave) generate 2.4 GHz signals, switching to the 5 GHz band is the simplest solution. Thankfully this is not the only possible way to resolve, or at least minimize, your interference issues.

In order for us to get a better picture of your current settings and hardware configuration, please download and run our https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility System Support Utility. You will be able to attach this report by switching to the "advanced editor" while replying, which will add the attach option to the bottom of the response box.

If you are able to run this report while your mouse is being used and you're connected to your wireless network, all the better. Please provide us with the brand and model of your wireless router as well.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MĐuri
Novice

Many thanks for the reply. I'm attaching the ssu report, and the router is Cisco EPC3928S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Miloš,

Unfortunately it seems like your SSU report did not successfully to attach to your response.

Please make sure the file has finished uploading before selecting to add reply. We will be looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MĐuri
Novice

Apologies, I sent the reply in a hurry, here's the attachment

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Miloš,

We regret to inform you that your laptop does not have an Intel® Wireless Adapter, but rather a "Qualcomm Atheros* QCA9565 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter." Since your wireless adapter was not manufactured by us, we don't have the necessary tools/knowledge to offer you the support that you need. But we can point out the following:

1. Your wireless adapter seems to be a 1x1 802.11n model. This means it only supports a single data stream at a time. If your Bluetooth* module is part of your wireless adapter, this also means that the same antenna will be used for both wireless and bluetooth* signals, increasing the posibility for interference. Because of this, a wireless mouse + USB dongle model may work better for you.

2. We always recommend using the latest wireless drivers provided by your OEM, this will likely apply for your adapter as well: - HP Pavilion 15-n023sm Notebook PC Downloads (Driver-Network > locate the latest driver for your adapter brand)

3. In the advanced settings for your adapter (Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Qualcomm Atheros* QCA9565... > Properties > Advanced tab) we noticed an "802.11 Bluetooth* High Speed" setting. If this is at all similar to our Bluetooth* AMP setting, you should enable this option. Doing so may help decrease Bluetooth* interference.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. This information has been provided in a best effort basis, with no guarantees. We do not offer support for any third party tool or hardware mentioned here.

From what we understand, https://www.qualcomm.com/drivers Qualcomm* does not provide support nor drivers directly to end users. Based on this we can recommend for you to engage HP*, as they will be your main source of support.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites.

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MĐuri
Novice

Thank you so much for the detailed reply Carlos. I failed to recognize that the wi-fi/bluetooth module is not Intel-made (more precisely, I had no idea if you supply support for that kind of third party hardware), so kudos for even taking time to give me any further instructions! My current home router is carrier-based, so it's hard to change that part of the chain, and the Microsoft mouse is an upgrade from Logitec dongle-type mouse, so backtracking is always an option. Still, I would like to see this one working properly if possible, since I can really benefit the extra usb port. I have already updated all drivers, and now followed your advice on advanced adapter settings. Since the problem itself was somewhat erratic (one out of every 3-4 sessions lacked any wireless issues), I will have to give it few days to see if this was the solution. That said, everything works fine at the moment, even after few reboots. Keeping my fingers crossed

Thank you so much, and kudos again for great support! I will leave a comment of how things turned out when I'm sure if it's permanent in any way.

0 Kudos
MĐuri
Novice

I'm afraid the problem persists after all... Basically nothing changed and I still get erratic mouse movement roughly 3 out of 4 sessions. I thought I found a workaround by switching on the wi-fi after the system boot and bt connection, but while this helps sometimes, it's no rule... I guess cutting costs of making hardware does come with a cost Still, it makes me wonder why the whole system works fine sometimes? It is obvious that it is possible to have both wi-fi and bt working simultaneously, why is there no way to keep it stable?

I have only one more question. Does this mean that I would have no benefit of having a 5GHz router? I reckon the issue here is more in the inherent restriction in the wireless module...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Miloš,

We only support Intel® wireless adapters, but making a few helpful suggestions never hurts.

I was unable to find the full specifications for your wireless adapter, however I do believe that this is not a 5GHz capable model. A new router probably won't help, but you would need to confirm this information with HP*. While I do believe the issues that you're facing are being caused by hardware limitations, there are three more suggestions that I believe might help -before having to send you back to your USB dongle reliant days.

1. Make sure that your wireless adapter is set for maximum performance: Control Panel > Power Options > Next to your current power plan, choose to Change Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings > Wireless Adapter Settings > Power Saving Mode > Set both (on battery and plugged in) to Maximum Performance > Press Ok and close the Power Options window.

2. Test out using a different Wireless Channel. Usually channels 1, 6, or 11 will be your best options.

1. http://setuprouter.com/router/cisco/epc3928s/wifi.htm Setup WiFi on the Cisco* EPC3928S.

2. http://setuprouter.com/wifi-channels/ Which Wi-Fi Channel to Use.

3. Follow the recommendations provided on this article (they talk about router positioning and give more info on choosing a wireless channel): https://www.howtogeek.com/126327/how-to-get-a-better-wireless-signal-and-reduce-wireless-network-interference/ https://www.howtogeek.com/126327/how-to-get-a-better-wireless-signal-and-reduce-wireless-network-interference/

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

I don't think we'll be able to provide anything more indepth than this, but feel free to let us know if any of it helped.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Miloš,

We only support Intel® wireless adapters, but making a few helpful suggestions never hurts.

I was unable to find the full specifications for your wireless adapter, however I do believe that this is not a 5GHz capable model. A new router probably won't help, but you would need to confirm this information with HP*. While I do believe the issues that you're facing are being caused by hardware limitations, there are three more suggestions that I believe might help -before having to send you back to your USB dongle reliant days.

1. Make sure that your wireless adapter is set for maximum performance: Control Panel > Power Options > Next to your current power plan, choose to Change Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings > Wireless Adapter Settings > Power Saving Mode > Set both (on battery and plugged in) to Maximum Performance > Press Ok and close the Power Options window.

2. Test out using a different Wireless Channel. Usually channels 1, 6, or 11 will be your best options.

1. http://setuprouter.com/router/cisco/epc3928s/wifi.htm Setup WiFi on the Cisco* EPC3928S.

2. http://setuprouter.com/wifi-channels/ Which Wi-Fi Channel to Use.

3. Follow the recommendations provided on this article (they talk about router positioning and give more info on choosing a wireless channel): https://www.howtogeek.com/126327/how-to-get-a-better-wireless-signal-and-reduce-wireless-network-interference/ https://www.howtogeek.com/126327/how-to-get-a-better-wireless-signal-and-reduce-wireless-network-interference/

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

I don't think we'll be able to provide anything more in-depth than this, but feel free to let us know if any of it helped.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MĐuri
Novice

Well, Carlos, I really appreciate your dedication to helping me, hopefully this can help others with similar problems. I have adjusted the router to the setting with least interference (changed the channel and the mode), but still the problem stays present. Apart from the obvious technical issues with wireless connections, I can't but feel there's some of it due to the windows system settings. Every time I open the list of wi-fi connections, the problem goes away! Of course, the moment I close that list, it all goes back to previous erratic behavior... There's a scr shot in the attachment to clear that up.

Anyhow, even though my problem wasn't fixed, your advice got it close to being so, and I labeled it as an correct answer... I guess it won't hurt for others to try these steps in case of similar problems... maybe they benefit more

Thanks a bunch! Miloš

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Miloš,

You're welcome. We're always glad to help. And again, thank you for sharing your progress so far.

If you believe that you're having OS issues, then maybe a system reset can help. Just make sure to back up your data and update your drivers afterward.

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC - by Microsoft* Support.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MĐuri
Novice

Well, after more time of keeping track of things, I have to say that the router procedure did little to help, but the problem can definitely be overridden by keeping the mouse switched on before turning on the computer. I guess the wireless module respects the priority of whichever signal it connects to first, and it seems that the bt signal gets the upper hand here. I do get pointer issues sometimes, but it's one out of 4-5 times now, and it usually goes away after a win restart.

0 Kudos