11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2017 12:14 PM by Intel Corporation

Edison Dead no second LED

Electrumpet

Dear all,

After first being unable to power up my board from J12 (or actually Vbat on the PINheaders) it seems that now the board is completely unresponsive. The power LED is still burning but the other LED stays off. Measuring the power PINs shows no power on PINS J17-4, J18-5, J19-2, J20-1 and J20-2.

Is there a way to determine whether my Edison or my breakout board is broken?

Best, Hans.

• 1. Re: Edison Dead no second LED
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Hans,

Thank you for contacting us. I’ve a few questions/comments:

• Are you using the Arduino expansion board or the mini breakout board?
          • How are you powering the board? Please include the voltage rating of the power supply and the port you’re using to power. You can send us a picture of this setup.
          • Specifically, which LED is not powering? Please send us a picture in which we can see the power supply connected to the board and the LED which is not lightning up when it should.
          • Is the board recognized in the device manager? Do you have access to the terminal?
          We’ll be waiting for your response

-Sergio A
          • 2. Re: Edison Dead no second LED
            Electrumpet

Hi Sergio,

I am currently powering the mini breakout board through two USB cables. I already know that it is probably the board itself since I just got a second breakout board and the problem is the same. I can not ssh into the Edison (screen command terminal MAC).

imageFile.png

In my case the right LED is burning but the left LED is not. I connected the Edison the same as on this picture. It has worked many times before so something is really broken... This is not a question of did you connect all the cables correctly...

A new Edison (which I bought because of the external antenna) works fine in the same constellation and even shows up as a drive. Which the old one did not for a while...

So the question is whether the Edison is really dead or revivable and if there is any way how to find out...

Best, Hans.

• 3. Re: Edison Dead no second LED
              joe_nasti

Hans,

Sounds like you're talking about breakout board LED DS1 - the reset LED. It will only be one when the Edison processor is running.

- Do you have anything connected to the pins of the breakout board that could be causing it to be resetting constantly?

- Have you messed with any of the jumpers on the breakout board?

- Have you previously removed the Edison module from the breakout board? If so, make sure it's really connected and that none of the pins have been bent/messed up.

- The only other thing I could think of is did you flash your own image/modify any critical system config files before it died?

Can you get it in flash mode? If you have an image downloaded or have the setup app on your Mac, then get it ready to flash, then connect your USB cables to the board to see if it can be recognized in the bootloader.

- Joe

• 4. Re: Edison Dead no second LED
                Electrumpet

joe_nasti wrote:

Hans,

Sounds like you're talking about breakout board LED DS1 - the reset LED. It will only be one when the Edison processor is running.

- Do you have anything connected to the pins of the breakout board that could be causing it to be resetting constantly?

No since my new Edison does not have this problem on the same breakout board(s).

- Have you messed with any of the jumpers on the breakout board?

See above

- Have you previously removed the Edison module from the breakout board? If so, make sure it's really connected and that none of the pins have been bent/messed up.

I only removed it after it went dead.

- The only other thing I could think of is did you flash your own image/modify any critical system config files before it died?

Not that I am aware. To my knowledge it worked when I stopped working with it and the next time I connected it it was not working anymore. The most probable cause is that I connected it to an external power source. This was on PIN 18.5 and with this external power source I have worked for some time. The Edison and breakout were version 1 I think (bought it almost immediately when it came out).

Can you get it in flash mode? If you have an image downloaded or have the setup app on your Mac, then get it ready to flash, then connect your USB cables to the board to see if it can be recognized in the bootloader.

No, even in flashmode it should show up as a USB device in the device manager right? I did these steps of course both on Windows and Mac.

Is there something that I could measure for diagnostic purposes? A certain PIN for example?

- Joe

Hans.

• 5. Re: Edison Dead no second LED
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Hans,

Thank you for the description. As I understand from your post is that the damaged Edison is not the one in the picture, and that when connected, the left LED is not on, is this correct? You mention that the Edison worked before with the same setup and cables, so trying with a different set of cables to see if this is perhaps a power issue is possibly not the solution. To determine if the Edison is damaged, the process involves first, making sure it is recognized in the device manager and attempting to recover using the setup tool https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-edison-windows-step2 .

Let us know if the device is recognized in the device manager and if you’re able to run the setup tool. Also, we’d like to know more about the circumstances in which the Edison stopped working. Did it just suddenly stop working or was it connected and running some kind of process or connected to external circuitry. Please be as descriptive as possible, since the more information we have, the easier it’ll be for us to determine the cause of damage.

We’ll be waiting for your response.

Regards,
                  -Sergio A

• 6. Re: Edison Dead no second LED
                    Electrumpet

No it is not recognised by the device manager. I thought I was clear on that. Apparently not...

The Edison is not the one in the picture. But how to point out a not working LED when it is not burning...

As said it was connected to an external power source when the first mishap happened which was that it would not power up on that external power source anymore (which was connected to V_VBAT_BKUP (J18-5)). I had connected it with an external power source because I am interested in the USB host capabilities of the Edison. Is there a maximum current on the USB port as host maybe?

I think that when it did not power up on the external source anymore I connected it to a computer afterwards and that still worked but I am not completely sure. Then when I stopped (and turned of the device (cutting power probably)) and came back the next day the second (left) LED light did not start burning anymore and the device was not recognised by any computer anymore.

Best, Hans.

• 7. Re: Edison Dead no second LED
                      joe_nasti

V_VBAT_BKUP / J18 PIN 5 is the RTC backup battery input...you can find more info about it in the Compute Module Hardware Guide, Section 4.12/13...what are the power ratings on your external supply? this pin expects an external cell between 2.5-3.3V... however you did say it worked for some time before dying...

• 8. Re: Edison Dead no second LED
                        Electrumpet

I might have mistakenly moved from Vin to V_VBAT. There is no voltage indication on that PIN in the overall hardware guide (or there used not to be). I might have made a mistake switching from different platforms...

A high voltage on that PIN (I used about 8V) kills the Edison?

Best, Hans.

• 9. Re: Edison Dead no second LED
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Hans,

Unfortunately, connecting an 8V power to this port will cause damage to the board. As @joe_nasti pointed out, that pin expects a voltage between 2.5 and 3.3.

-Sergio A

• 10. Re: Edison Dead no second LED
                            Electrumpet

Yes, alas, **** happens. Would be good if the voltage tolerance was also on the PIN description in the hardware guide. I must have had a laps of concentration and shifted from the Vin pin to the V-VBAT pin. My own fault of course. Probably won't happen again since I now have a 2_cell pack.

Thanks for your time.

Best, Hans.

• 11. Re: Edison Dead no second LED
                              Intel Corporation

Hi Hans,

It’s unfortunate your Edison board is damaged. We’ll pass your feedback on having the voltage tolerance of the pins in the hardware guide to the right team. Hopefully, this will be added to future revisions and helps other customers avoid these types of accidents.

Regards,
                              -Sergio