13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 10:34 AM by Intel Corporation

Needing help setup my NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK

AllanA

Hello all,

I just got my setup about two days ago, and really nothing much has been setup yet.  My first one I was able to get into the BIOS pretty readily, but this I haven't a clue.  Granted I haven't read the owner's manual, and I guess I will if there isn't a response here.  One of the first items I'm having a problem with and shouldn't is the wakening up of the computer from being gone for ~30 min.  I can't wake the thing up!  I have music playing on it, so I know there's some life with it.  I just can't get it to wake up and anytime it goes to sleep, I have to reboot to start it up again.  I can't even get into the BIOS to change when it goes to sleep too.

Any help on this will be very much appreciated.

History - this is a replacement NUC that Intel sent to me.  The first one I bought on ebay and it lasted about 4 hrs till it went dead.  It's using a hard drive and 16 GB of memory.  The monitor is Acer and the keyboard/mouse is a wireless Logitech K350.

AA

• 1. Re: Needing help setup my NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK
          N.Scott.Pearson

S3 sleep duration is not controlled by the BIOS; this is an O/S environment setting. When you start playing music, sleep is disabled. Knowing this, I conclude that what you are likely seeing is only the monitor has been put to sleep - but it cannot be awakened. I don't know if this is a bug in the graphics driver, but I do know that it started with the (4th generation) WY NUCs and continues to be an issue. As a workaround, what I have done is go into the Windows Control Panel Power Options applet and, for the current plan, set Turn off the display to Never.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: Needing help setup my NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK
            AllanA

Thank you for the reply.

There's one question on this.  First of all this is for Win 7.  At the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Power Options/Edit Plan Settings/    at this point there's two different settings.  One is Turn off display (1min - never)  The other, Put the computer to sleep (1min - never).  So put both at never?  That would mean my computer doesn't go to sleep at all.  That is really not ideal.  I don't mind it going to sleep, it's not waking up that's the problem.  I'll mess with this and see if there would be some tolerable medium.

Really I'll be using this for Ubuntu.  I'm basically getting Windows installed first.

• 3. Re: Needing help setup my NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK
              N.Scott.Pearson

Well, in my case, since I am testing all sorts of NUCs and ICSs, I have them connected through VGA-, DVI- and HDMI-based x4 USB KVMs and this exacerbates things enough that I have to set both Put the computer to sleep and Turn off the display to Never. You should not have to do this, however; disabling monitor sleep should be sufficient. I do agree, however, that you may have to play with this.

...S

• 4. Re: Needing help setup my NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello all,

AllanA, I would like to get more information in regard to your Intel® NUC Kit, so please let me know your BIOS version and Intel® HD Graphics driver version. Please go to Device Manger> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click on Properties and then go to Driver, you will be able to see the version installed.

Please let me know if you were able to follow Scott's suggestion.

Regards,

Amy.

• 5. Re: Needing help setup my NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK
                  AllanA

Hello Amy,

Thanks for the reply.

As I stated, on my first NUC, I was able to get into the BIOS pretty readily, but this one I haven't a clue.  I have searched for "owner's manual NUC5i5RYK" and I never really found an owner's manual, but I did see alot of links and other subject matter, but no owner's manual.  That was good for a first read .pdf back in the day.  What is the considered "first read" today?

So without being able to get into my BIOS, I can't tell you anything really.  The Graphic Driver is an Intel 6000 and the driver version is 20.19.15.4531, I can tell you that.

I looked at the setting and right now I have

Turn off the display - 30 min

Put the computer to sleep - 45 min

This is no way a satisfactory setting.  I still have to shutdown and restart it when I'm away longer.  There's still is no "waking up".

• 6. Re: Needing help setup my NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK
                    N.Scott.Pearson

Intel has never published any "Owner's Manuals" (per se); that is why your search failed. The resources available for the NUC5i5RYK NUC are as follows:

Technical Product Specification

User's Guide

Getting Started Information

Hope this helps,

...S

• 7. Re: Needing help setup my NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK
                      Intel Corporation

Thank you for that information.

For testing purposes, is there any chance you can set the power settings to default, and check the results? 

Since you are not able to access the BIOS, and at this stage we do not know the version installed, you could try with a BIOS recovery to the latest version. Find below the steps and the file;

BIOS 0362;

Download BIOS Update [RYBDWi35.86A] 

BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC;

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005532.html

I one more thing, I would consider the User's Guide as "first read", but it also depends on what you are looking for.

Regards,

Amy.

• 8. Re: Needing help setup my NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK
                        AllanA

Well this didn't work too hot.  I down loaded RY0362.bio, but my Win 7 OS couldn't recognize that file extension.  So I thought "Oh I betcha I will be prompted when I run BIOS Update [RYBDWi35.86A].  Nope I wasn't prompted, but that update ran correctly.  The only thing is it left me with no way to log in.  My keyboard was now not working.  I haven't looked at the recovery instructions and will do that after posting this up.  Not sure where the .bio file was suppose to come in or what I was to do with that. 

• 9. Re: Needing help setup my NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK
                          AllanA

Well looks like I'm batting a 1000! 

First point on the BIOS Recovery Update Instructions states;

• This process is intended to be performed by a trained technician.

The second point states;

• Downgrading the BIOS to an earlier version is not recommended and might not be supported. An earlier BIOS version might not support the latest processors, bug fixes, critical security updates, or the board revisions currently manufactured.

Did I mention this NUC was sent by Intel as a replacement to a previous one?  I don't know, but to me, you would think it would already have the latest BIOS on the computer right?  After all, the date on the Latest BIOS is 1/18/17

OK continue....

• Do not interrupt the BIOS update process. We recommend the process be done in an environment with a steady power supply (preferably with UPS).

Check.

• Before updating the BIOS, manually record all BIOS settings you changed (from default) so they can be restored after completing the BIOS update.

Can't get into my BIOS as I've yet to read up on how to do it.  Read about half of a 78 page TechProdSpec.pdf  Have yet to read up on how to get into the BIOS, and no that isn't in the 8 page User Guide.

• All images in this example are for illustration purposes only. You need to select the correct BIOS files for your Intel® NUC. All BIOS update files for Intel® NUC products are available on Download Center.

Check.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that this would be a failure for me!  Oh also looks like there's lots of power options on this thing.  At least that's what I'm reading.  Too bad it didn't do the simplest one that's been around for ages.  And yes I am able to wake my computer up with the old PC and using the same peripherals.

• 10. Re: Needing help setup my NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK
                            Intel Corporation

AllanA, the .bio file is used to perform the update using the F7 method. Within Windows you need to use the .EXE file, since the F7 method is causing some issues please try using the executable.

One more question, were you able to set the power settings to default, and check the results? 

Regards,

Amy.

• 11. Re: Needing help setup my NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK
                              AllanA

"One more question, were you able to set the power settings to default, and check the results? "

Here's my power settings of my Win 7 OS at Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/ Power Options

Preferred plans

• Balanced
                              • Power saver

I have mine set to Balanced

You know I'm pretty much convinced I should be running something other than Win 10 or 7 on my computer.  I think it's not a bad idea to see about running Ubuntu on my computer.  Should give it a fair chance to see how it takes to everything here.  I might have alot more of a future with that, as this doesn't seem to be panning out that well so far getting Windows running here.

• 12. Re: Needing help setup my NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK
                                Intel Corporation

Ubuntu is one of the customer-reported operating systems, this operating system has been reported as compatible by owners of Intel® NUC Boards and Kits. Intel hasn't validated this in particular, but I agree that this could be a good chance. I recommend you use the latest kernel.

If you have the option to do that, please let me know the results.

Regards,

Amy.

• 13. Re: Needing help setup my NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK
                                  Intel Corporation

AllanA, were you able to install Ubuntu? What were the results?

Regards,

Amy.