Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Recovery RAID5 X79 Chipset Motherboard dead

CAraú
Novice

My Motherboard X79 Chipset (Asus Sabertooth) on which I was running a RAID 5 disk with 4 drives dead, can I to recovery my RAID 5 disk? How should I proceed to succeed?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CAraú
Novice

Thank Juan for quickly replied my question.

Regads,

Cléviton

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Cleviton,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

In this case, you can replace the motherboard without any issue with the following recommendations:
  • The new motherboard must support RAID 5.
  • SATA mode in the new motherboard (BIOS) should be set to RAID.
  • If the OS was installed within the RAID volume you may need to reinstall the OS (unless the new motherboard is exactly the same model).
Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
CAraú
Novice

Ok, Juan. Thanks you for quick reply.

As soon as my new motherboard arrives, I will register here the results of the rescue operation of my RAID5 disk.

Let me do to you one last question, do I need to connect the disks to the SATA ports of the new motherboard in the same order they were connected on the old motherboard?

Thank you at advanced

Cléviton

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Cleviton,

You don't have to worry about the order they are connected as long as they are connected to the Intel SATA controller, this because some manufacturers include another SATA controller such as the Marvell SATA controller.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Cleviton,

I was reviewing this thread and I was wondering if you were able to set up the RAID 5 using the new board without any issues.

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
CAraú
Novice

Hi Juan

I did not yet get to run my system with the new motherboard X79 Chipset (Asus P9X79 Deluxe), I think my Processor Core I7 3960X crashed.

I'm already thinking of adquire another motherboard with RAID5 Support. I'm thinking of buying the motherboard GIGABYTE GA-H170M-D3H with the Intel H170 Chipset which has a great cost benefit.

Juan, what do you thinking about it? I would like to ask you if the RAID5 builtin Intel H170 Chipset is compatible with the RAID5 builtin X79 chipset?

Have a nice weekend.

Best Regards

Cléviton

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Cleviton,

I am sorry to hear about the processor.

In this case, you won't have any issues as long as the OS is not installed in the RAID volume.

If the OS is installed in the RAID, then you will have to reinstall the OS because the hardware is different.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
CAraú
Novice

Thank Juan for quickly replied my question.

Regads,

Cléviton

0 Kudos
CAraú
Novice

Best greetings, Juan.

I would like to log the feedback on my RAID5 disk recovery.

I did get to recover my RAID5 disk on motherboard Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H with H170 chipset.

Remember that my RAID5 disk was running before on the Asus SaberTooth X79 with Chipset X79.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely

Cléviton

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Cleviton,

Thank you for your feedback.

Those are excellent news.

Please don't hesitate in contacting us back if you need further assistance.

Regards,

JC
0 Kudos