Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

4790k safe core voltage for everyday use

dbazm
Beginner

Hey.

What is the max safe voltage for i7-4790k when overclocking with water cooling.

Would it be safe to run this cpu with 1.3 - max 1.4 core voltage for everyday use (gaming etc.) if temps are okay under max load?

I plan to use this cpu maybe for another 1-2 years, so if it can take over 1.3 volts (<1.4v) with no problems for that time it would be great to push the clocks even further.

Stability would be tested with various stress tests.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Since Intel does not support overclocking, I would say the safe core voltage for "everyday" use is the default.

I think it is safe to say the you will not get Intel to recommend any voltage such as you are requesting.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello all,

Doc, thanks for the help.

d4nbazman, from my end I can share the voltage and current specification for your processor model, with this information you will be able to check with parameters are supported and which are not. Access to that information here; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/4th-gen-core-family-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.html Desktop 4th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors Datasheet, Vol. 1, check Table 48. That table basically states the safe temperatures for this specific model.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/111998 d4nbazman, hope the information posted above helped you, and if you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
dbazm
Beginner

Hey.

I did not quite catch the information on the table 48. Did you confuse that table with table 28, because thats where the temperatures are on. That table states that max Tcase for this processor is 74.04c and i think TJmax is 100c for 4790k. But even then there is no program that can monitor Tcase temps and what i can understand it's not the same as core temps, you can easily hit over 74c even with default settings and default cooler. I have watercooling on my cpu.

My current settings are 4.7ghz on 1.264 manual vCore and 1.272-1.28 vCore on 100% load. Temps average at 65 degrees on full stress test with AIDA64.

My question was that what intel thinks is "safe" range if i want to overclock this 4.8 even 4.9ghz and apply it for everday use (browsing, editing, gaming). I have read a lot of forums and its debate between 1.3v and 1.4v, some "professionals" say you should not exceed 1.3v for everyday use and some say stay below 1.4v that your chip won't degrade faster than normal. I'd like to hear intel's perspect on this matter, but i can understand if you can't address it for warranty reasons or what not.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/111998 d4nbazman, I see.

In this case, Intel does not provided overclocking assistance, from our end we do no have documentation on what temperatures will keep processor fine when overclocking; therefore, I was unable to provide the information you requested. But, like mentioned before what I can provide is the temperatures that can be found on the processor datasheet, these are the safe temperatures to run the processor.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/111998 d4nbazman I am following up your thread, and I just wanted to check if you have more questions regarding these temperatures.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
dbazm
Beginner

Hey.

I have no further questions if intel can't address voltages for overclocking so i'm going to stay with these settings just to be safe.

You can consider this thread closed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/111998 d4nbazman, as an alternative you can always wait for another community member to post similar experience or get more feedback on other forums. Maybe you could try with https://www.overclockers.com/forums/ https://www.overclockers.com/forums/ or http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/ EXTREME Overclocking Forums - Learn To Overclock Your PC Hardware.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos