7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2017 2:58 AM by Karatekid430

What is the latest NVM firmware version for JHL6240 thunderbolt 3 controller?

link626

Can anyone at Intel tell me what is the latest NVM firmware for Thunderbolt 3 controller JHL6240?

I read that version 04 was released in September 2016. There must be newer firmware?

• 1. Re: What is the latest NVM firmware version for JHL6240 thunderbolt 3 controller?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello link626,

Thank you for joining the General Discussion community.

Please let me review your inquiry, as soon as I have more information I will update your thread.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: What is the latest NVM firmware version for JHL6240 thunderbolt 3 controller?
            rguevara

Hello link626

I work for Intel Customer Support and we dont provide support for the Thunderbolt 3 controller JHL6240 thru the communities.

I would recommend that you contact the manufacturer of the system, they should be able to help you.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 3. Re: What is the latest NVM firmware version for JHL6240 thunderbolt 3 controller?
              link626

so this is top secret information?

you can't even disclose what firmware has been released by Intel?

I'm just requesting general information, not troubleshooting help.

• 4. Re: What is the latest NVM firmware version for JHL6240 thunderbolt 3 controller?
                John_E.

Are there release notes available for NVM software?

I can find release notes for Thunderbolt software version 16.2.55.275 here:
                https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26052/eng/Release%20Notes.txt

which also says that it's compatible with a number of hardware controllers:

Supported Thunderbolt Controllers
                =================================
                DSL4510/4410  Series - "Redwood Ridge"
                DSL5520/5320  Series - "Falcon Ridge"
                DSL5110       Series - "Thunderbolt LP"
                DSL6540/6340  Series - "Alpine Ridge"    (Tested with NVM rev 21)
                JHL6540/6340  Series - "Alpine Ridge"    (Tested with NVM rev 9)
                JHL6240       Series - "Alpine Ridge LP" (Tested with NVM rev 4)

So, we can see that JHL6240 equipment could have support for at least Thunderbolt software version 16.2.55.275, and NVM rev 4 -- and DSL6540/6340 equipment could have support for NVM rev 21.

Are there similar release notes for chipset NVM revisions? If the hardware isn't supported through the communities, it is supported through the Thunderbolt Developer's communities ( over here: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/developers )?

Of course, the manufacturers of systems "should be able to help" end users, but the reality is that they DON'T. I wrote to both Dell and Asus (respective manufacturers of my XPS 15 9550 and my Asus ThunderboltEX 3) inquiring about NVM upgrades and got either no answer or no response.

Likewise, these boards are littered with posts from Thunderbolt hardware consumers detailing similar lack of support from system manufacturers.

• 5. Re: What is the latest NVM firmware version for JHL6240 thunderbolt 3 controller?
                  rguevara

Hello All,

Thunderbolt™ is a system ingredient that is customized by each OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) differently on their platforms.  Intel provides FW and driver updates directly to OEMs, but it is up to each OEM to perform validation testing and determine how and when those updates get rolled out to their customers on their public websites. 

We regret that Intel cannot provide firmware that has not been validated by the OEM for release on their platform designs.   

Please direct any product questions to the PC or device OEM.

Regards,

Ronny G

• 6. Re: What is the latest NVM firmware version for JHL6240 thunderbolt 3 controller?
                    John_E.

We regret that Intel cannot provide firmware that has not been validated by the OEM for release on their platform designs.

The poster didn't ask for you to provide firmware. He asked "...what is the latest NVM firmware for Thunderbolt 3 controller JHL6240?"

Intel provides FW and driver updates directly to OEMs....

And, since you confirm here that Intel does indeed provide the NVM firmware to OEMs, wouldn't you know what the latest versions of this firmware is, and when you first made it available to OEMs?

For example, the poster has equipment with a JHL6240 chipset and wants to know if anything newer than NVM 4 has been released.

Likewise, I have equipment (an Dell XP 15 9550 and an Asus ThunderboltEX 3, which I believe have DSL6540/6340  Series - "Alpine Ridge" hardware), and I'd like to know if anything newer than NVM 16 has been released for these chipsets -- since NVM 16 is currently all that Dell and Asus have released so far for this equipment. I would also be interested in also knowing WHEN any firmware newer than NVM 16 has been release by Intel to OEMs for these chipsets -- so I can figure for how long have the OEMs been dragging their feet on performing validation testing and determining "how and when those updates get rolled out".

Similarly, I also have an Intel NUC6i7KYK (which I also believe has DSL6540/6340  Series - "Alpine Ridge" hardware) for which Intel only currently provides NVM 18, even though the release notes for Thunderbolt software version 16.2.55.275 suggest NVM 21 could be available. So, I'm also wondering what features does NVM 21 provide over NVM 18, and when is Intel going to finish performing validation testing and determining "how and when those updates get rolled out" for the NUC6i7KYK.

Thanks in advance for getting to the bottom of this issue and providing the relevant information.

• 7. Re: What is the latest NVM firmware version for JHL6240 thunderbolt 3 controller?
                      Karatekid430

I have come across information suggesting that Skylake can have a maximum of NVM 16. Kaby Lake is required for higher.