Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Mini Displayport on Intel Nuc only works after pluging out and in after boot

FEldi
Beginner

I have an Intel NUC 5i7RYH connected to a Samsung 27" monitor using a Minidisplay-to-HDMI-cable (the mini HDMI of the NUC has fallen off somehow). When I boot the machine I have no display until I unplug the cable from the NUC and plug it in again.

It is a workaround but not one I can instruct my wife and kids to use.

I use Ubuntu 16.04 but I don't think it is Ubuntu. I have been testing with a laptop using the same cable. The laptop has a dual boot with both Ubuntu and Windows 10 and it works every time. So my best guess it is the NUC.

Though with a cold boot I have no display at all, making a warm boot I have managed to get into the BIOS - which I have updated to the most recent version (036) - and set the primary display to the Mini Displayport. This still does not give me display at a cold boot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Fedorvaneldijk,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

Can you please try the following so we can discard some other components/factors?

• Remove the HDD/SSD from the NUC and check if the Boot agent or the BIOS is displayed
    • With this, we will test if you get video in a non-driver environment.
  • Use a different TV/Monitor.
  • Use a straight video connection (from mini Display Port to Display Port).
  • Test the NUC in a Windows environment without using dual boot. (Windows 10 is preferred).

Please try those suggestion step by step and not all of them at once.

You informed that you set the primary video to Mini Display Port in the BIOS; however, that change will work in non-driver environments such as POST or BIOS.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Juan Carlos

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Fedorvaneldijk,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

Can you please try the following so we can discard some other components/factors?

• Remove the HDD/SSD from the NUC and check if the Boot agent or the BIOS is displayed
    • With this, we will test if you get video in a non-driver environment.
  • Use a different TV/Monitor.
  • Use a straight video connection (from mini Display Port to Display Port).
  • Test the NUC in a Windows environment without using dual boot. (Windows 10 is preferred).

Please try those suggestion step by step and not all of them at once.

You informed that you set the primary video to Mini Display Port in the BIOS; however, that change will work in non-driver environments such as POST or BIOS.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
FEldi
Beginner

Hi Juan,

I've ordered the cable and will try the other options, I'll let you know the results...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Fedorvaneldijk,

Thank you for the update.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
FEldi
Beginner

Hi Juan,

The cable is in, and everything is allright now. Even the sound works!

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Fedorvaneldijk,

Excellent news, thank you for the update.

Please don't hesitate in contacting us back if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Juan Carlos

0 Kudos