14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2017 1:40 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.

Chopper

Hi

My NUC6i5SYH will not display anything on boot after entering sleep mode.  It's completely locked now until I can resolve.

I believe this is a known BIOS bug.  It's also not surprising as Intel is well known for shipping products with BIOS bugs, especially around S3/sleep functionality.  Who cares about that once you can boot the product once, right?

I've tried using HDMI and display port output.  I've tried using a USB key to update the BIOS, but can't do this without some kid of display output.

Also, when I try to access the support warranty page, the website is asking for me to login even though I'm already logged in so I can't get any farther there. It's almost as if the system is designed to prevent people accessing support.  I'm happy to return this for 'repair' if I can access the service to do that.

Can anyone help?

Rgds,

Dave

• 1. Re: NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.
          lw1948

Hello Dave,

Please define more clearly what is your problem?

1. You can not enter Bios setting since you don't see during boot process the  Intel logo and F2,F7, F10 menu?

Or

2. You can not boot to Windows, since you don't see any video output?

• 2. Re: NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to for requesting further details on this matter.

To :

First of all, let me apologize for any type inconvenience you might have experienced using the NUC or trying to access the service to get in contact directly with us to replace it.

Besides providing those details, I just wanted to let you know that the problem could be related to the video cables being use, there are different types of HDMI and display port cables, some of them are high quality and some of them are not that good.

Do you have the option to get a high quality HDMI/display port cable to test it on the NUC?

The problem happens since the day you got the NUC or is it recently?

Which Windows version are you using?

The warranty option is also something that I just wanted to confirm, remember that the Intel warranty is not to repair the NUC, it will be to replace the NUC, please let me know if the option to replace the NUC is what you want to do now, in order to further assist you with that, since there are more troubleshoot steps that we can try.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 3. Re: NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.
              Chopper

Alberto

I'm confident that the issue is not related to the video cables.  All cables worked perfectly before I put the NUC into sleep mode.  I've tried multiple cables (HDMI and DisplayPort) and the problem is the same across all of them.  I also have a second NUC (5th Gen) which is working fine with all of these cables. 

This problem has only happened since U put the NUC into sleep mode.  It has been working perfectly up to that point.  This is a known issue which has been discussed many times on these forums, i.e. that display stops working on this generation of devices when booting up after sleep mode.

I'm using Windows 10.

I've no issue returning the device for repair (not replacement).  I expect the fix is simply to update the BIOS on the platform, but I can't do this at home without a functional display.  One of your engineers will need to do it.

I am having issues accessing your warranty portal however, so I cannot submit a request to return the device for repair.  I am directed to this page even though I am already logged into the website.  In my view the name, username and email fields on this page are greyed out, as is the 'Next' button, so I cannot progress the case in order to access the warranty services. 

Please let me know what next steps I should take to resolve this issue and access the warranty services.

Thanks

Dave

• 4. Re: NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.
                lw1948

Hello Dave

Try to recover your BIOS using Security jumper recovery method: BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

In this method the recovery starts and completes automatically  without your intervention, so you don't need any display output to start the recovery process. After the recovery process finishes (2-5 minutes), replace the jumper to its place (between pins 1-2). See the attached picture for reference. If still you will not see anything, you need request RMA from Intel Warranty Service.

Leon

• 5. Re: NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.
                  Chopper

Hi Leon,

Thanks for this link.  It looked like it might work but unfortunately has not.

I followed the instructions and put the .bio file on a USB drive, remove the security jumper and powered on the device.  It came on and the power and USB drive LEDs were active and for a while I thought it was working.  However, the device did not power down itself or prompt anything on the screen.  After an hour I forced a power down, assuming that the upgrade was finished and just needed a reboot.  I replaced the jumper and power it back on but unfortunately nothing has happened.  The only difference is that the LED on the USB drive is no longer lit, which indicates to me that the device is locked out at the BIOS level somehow.

Thanks you very much for the suggestion all the same.

At this point I think I need to return it under warranty so would appreciate if someone from Intel would provide me with instructions on how to access the warranty service and avoid the issues I've had with the website above.

Thanks

Dave

• 6. Re: NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.
                    lw1948

Hi Dave.

You have done every think correct. The recovery process starts automatically and ends after few minutes. I forgot to mention that you need in the end switch the power off what you actually did. So, looks like you need ask for RMA.

One more thing, are you shore that your monitor is OK? May be try connect your NUC to other monitor or TV ?

Sorry

Leon

• 7. Re: NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.
                      Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to  for providing all the suggestions above.

To :

As it was mentioned by , pretty much at this point you tried all the troubleshoot steps we recommend, a BIOS recovery is recommended when there is no display at all, we are sorry to hear that it did not worked. To test the NUC with a different monitor will be the last thing to do in order to try to fix this problem, if the issue remains after trying that then the replacement of the unit will be necessary.

I can always assist you with the replacement process, but first I just wanted to be clear on the fact that the warranty is for the replacement of the unit, because you mentioned previously that you are willing send the NUC for repair (not replacement) so one of our engineers will try the BIOS update on it or try to repair it, and that is not how it works, we will replace the unit for another one, same exact model. I do not want to give you false expectations about the warranty process.

Please let me know if you are still interested in the warranty option of replacing the NUC.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 8. Re: NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.
                        Chopper

Hi Alberto,

I've tried the NUC with different monitors using both HDMI and DisplayPort adaptors with no success.  My other (older) NUC works fine in all of these configurations.

As for the warranty, I do not really care if this unit is repaired or replaced.  I simply want a working unit.  A replacement with the same model achieves that also.

Can you please provide instructions as to how I can do this?

Thanks

Dave

• 9. Re: NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.
                          Intel Corporation

Hello :

Sure, I will be more than glad to assist you with the warranty process.

I will send you a private message.

Please check your inbox.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 10. Re: NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.
                            solenovex

My notebook dell 5557 had the same problems when I use early versions of windows 10 (before anniversary edition), I'm a preview insider. and for recent builds the problem has gone.

I remember I encounter this problems a lot....

You can try a windows 10 insider version like 15046.

• 11. Re: NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.
                              Intel Corporation

Hello :

Since you are using a different product, please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for that is that every scenario is different, so, for us further assist you and also in order for us to help you with the specific problem the PC might have, please enter a new thread.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards

Alberto

• 12. Re: NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.
                                solenovex

I'm sorry, I'm not asking for help.

I mean it maybe some early builds of windows 10's problem. A dozen of my company's dell notebooks have the same problem last year, but after upgrading to recent builds of windows 10, this problem are gone....

Just for reference.

• 13. Re: NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.
                                  lw1948

Hi Dave

In your case I don't think that it is a Windows problem from the following reasons:

1. You don't see any video output, even the Intel Nuc logo, witch is generated by BIOS (before Windows starts).

2. Since you are home user, your Windows are probably set for automatic updates and you have already updated your system to the Anniversary Update (version 1607 or later).

Take into consideration that after reinstalling your SSD in the new NUC, probably your Windows will require reactivation (major hardware change). You can do it by reentering your Product Key (if you have one) or by using Microsoft Activation troubleshooter: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter

In order to use the Activation troubleshooter your Windows have to be activated by Digital License https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

Hope this helps

Leon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: NUC 6i5SYH - No display after sleep.
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to for sharing that information and suggestions in our Intel® communities, I am sure it will be very helpful for all the peers checking this thread.

Let me apologize if I misunderstood your first post.

Also, thank you very much to for all the details provided previously.

Regards

Alberto