6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 4:37 PM by solenovex

My skull-canyon shuts down everytime when booting from today.

solenovex

My computer is intel nuc skull-canyon, I just reinstall my windows 10 15042 (using iso in system reinstall) and my computer is continuous on for about 48 hours.

And then my nuc cannot boot into windows 10 (even the microsoft logo cannot be seen).

I first think it's my nuc hardware problem, maybe, but when I try F10 select boot device, i chose the uefi bootloader, it works and if I go into bios setup, the computer never shutdown.

And then I tried removed hdmi cable, then computer boot serveral times all ok.

And then I tried with a usb stick (windows 10 install media), the computer goes into the installation program and never shutdown.

And in the windows 10 system event viewer, there are some error and criticals such as:

'Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.'

'The previous system shutdown at 12:36:33 PM on 3/2/2017 was unexpected.'

'Crash dump initialization failed!'

'The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power'

Now every Time I boot my computer it shut down with 20 seconds, I have to press F10 and select UEFI Boot Loader, then I can go in to system.

Is this a hardware issue ? How can I fix it?

my disk 1 is: Samsung MZ-V6E500BW 960Evo NVMe M.2 SSD (os)

my disk 2 is: intel 600P 256G

my memories are: corsair 2400 DDR4 16G x 2 = 32G

Thank you!!!

Please help!!!

• 1. Re: My skull-canyon shuts down everytime when booting from today.
          solenovex

Plus:

After the auto shut down, i think the usb port still has electricity, because my usb hub's light is still on.

And after the normal shutdown, my usb hub's light is off.

• 2. Re: My skull-canyon shuts down everytime when booting from today.
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello solenovex,

I would like to gather more information in regard to your Intel® NUC Kit, so please respond to the questions below, this will help to have a better look at this boot issue;

Could you please let me know your BIOS version?

Let me know the RAM part number.

Did it the unit work before?

Have you recently made a hardware or software change?

In the meantime I would like to recommend a coupe of things;

If possible try a different RAM sticks, preferably DDR4-2133 sticks. 

Try with one memory stick at a time.

Can you try a different power adapter?

Regards,

Amy.

• 3. Re: My skull-canyon shuts down everytime when booting from today.
              solenovex

Hi Amy:

I'm at work, But I got the bios version which is: NUC6i7KYB KySKLi70.86A.0042.2016.0929.1933 .

And I don't have any other ram, and I can't get the part number for now.

I have bought the unit for 3 weeks, it works fine until yesterday.

There is no hardware change since I bought it. But Yesterday morning there is a software change, that is, previously I installed windows 10 insider preview (fast preview, and the build version is 15042 64 bit, which is a Chinese version), then I download an English version of this windows 10 build (15042), I use the iso file to reset the OS from windows.

And the nuc is on for a long time like 48 hours. after the OS reset, the problems begins.

Then I upgrade the OS to windows 10 insider preview (15046), the problem still exists.

I think the shut down only happens when I directly boot into windows 10, Press F10, F2, or using usb boot device, or restart all works fine, Or even when the windows has something to upgrade (when boot) it works fine.

It worth notice,another computer of mine has similar problem but not the same problem. my other computer is a dell notebook N5110 cpu 2670QM with 16G 1333 Memory. it is 5 years old, I recently change the cpu fan. I think then but I'm not very sure, the first boot of computer auto shutdown when the windows 10 logo just shows, it happens all the time, and the second boot never fail. I don't know if this problem is related to the previous one or not.

I have reported the nuc problem to microsoft feedback hub, I don't think they will answer me, I don't know any other one has the same problem.

So Please Help..

Thank you.

I will get the ram part number hours later.

• 4. Re: My skull-canyon shuts down everytime when booting from today.
                solenovex

Hi, Amy:

I came back to home and got the ram part number, they are: 1: 'CMSX32GX4M2A2400C16'  'DDR4 164907479291346', 2: 'CMSX32GX4M2A2400C16' 'DDR4 164907479291347'.

And I did use only one memory to boot, the first time, the screen says memory decrease, and the boot is ok, it came into windows 10. and then I shutdown, and I boot, it fails.......

And then I add the other memory to nuc, and boot, for the first time, like a normal boot, it works. and then I shut down and boot again it fails......then every time it fails..

I have only one power adapter, sorry I can't try a different one.

Please review the last 2 replies, and thank you very much!

• 5. Re: My skull-canyon shuts down everytime when booting from today.
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

solenovex, I checked your two inputs. Thanks for the information.

Based on what you mentioned, I would say this is narrowed to the operating system upgrade. So, I just want to know if for testing purposes you can reinstall the operating system; can you give it a try? Maybe try a different image. 

One more thing, I would like to let you know is that I requested the memory information and if the unit worked before is because the processor on this Intel® NUC only supports DDR4 speeds of 2133 MHz, higher-speed SO-DIMMs operate only at the 2133 MHz memory timing and sometimes they do not boot with 2400 MHz installed. But, since the Intel® NUC Kit worked before this should not be an inconvenient for the unit.

Regards,

Amy.

• 6. Re: My skull-canyon shuts down everytime when booting from today.
                    solenovex

Hi Amy,

Last night (in China), I did reinstall my os completely, I mean I delete all the partitions in my samsung 960 evo disk, because the windows 10 installer wouldn't just let me format the C drive, because something GPT...., So I completely delete every partitions in my disk, and reinstall the windows 10 (15042), unlike the previous reinstallation (that time I didn't completely format the disk, it didn't work for that time) and for this time, it works...

Thank you amy, and this took you a lot of time and mind.

I will report this to microsoft again.