3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2017 4:14 AM by nrkmann

Windows 10 wifi

nrkmann

Intel Mobo DZ68BC

Dual Boot Win Server 2008 R2 and Windows 10

WiFi is Cisco WUSB600N ver2

Router Linksys E4200 ver 1

This system runs great under Server 2008 R2 with no issues. Can run for months without rebooting or having a log-able issue.

This system running Win 10 is very stable except for WiFi. Some days I can go all day long without a problem until into the evening. Sometime between 10 PM and 2 AM the WiFi becomes intermittent. Only rarely does the WiFi become intermittent during the day.

My service provider has done about everything they can do... check the lines, assure the newest software is on my Motorola modem, etc. I have gone to great lengths to assure that BIOS, hardware, and Win 10 is up to date.

One thing I have notices over the years with multiple computers and MS OSs is that after an update the wireless connections become problematic but then the next months download corrects the issues and everything is OK for the next few months. Can't get anyone to admit to changing the SW but it is there. However with Win 10 this has been going on since the upgrade from Win 7 18 months ago.

I believe it is a DNS issue. First I can ping IP addresses while not being able to ping URLs... tells me my request is not getting to a DNS resolver. I have tried several solutions.

First: In Win 10 setting DNS to DHCP, then specifing the DNS servers  and then setting DNS back to DHCP.... using specified DNS servers in Win 10 is supposed to override the router.

Second: Specifing DNS servers on the router... this is supposed to override and settings on the ISP AP. Don't want to turn off DHCP on the router as then I would have to go to all my devices and give them a fixed IP address and it would be inconvenient for guests. However, this would thrust all of the DNS resolution the the IP's server and AP.

Is there anything in the Drivers I need to check for? Either in the driver software, the BIOS, or the Registry?

• 1. Re: Windows 10 wifi
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

In regard to your inquiry, I just wanted to let you know that the DZ68BC board is not fully compatible with Windows® 10 or Windows® Server 2008.

Based on that information, if you use this board with that operating system there might be instability in some of the features and applications, including Wi-Fi.

This problem could be related to the driver, I was looking in our web site for drivers for your board but there are no drivers available for Windows ®10, on the following link you will be able to confirm that information:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/56461/Intel-Desktop-Board-DZ68BC

Do you know the model of the wireless card that you are using?

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Windows 10 wifi
            nrkmann

Alberto:   Thank you for the reply. Too bad for me. I received the computer from the VA, i.e. their contractor, to take classes and become certified in Win 7 and Server 2008 R2. There was the automatic update to Win 10 and I need to also upgrade my other Certs. Guess it looks like a new mobo.    regards... nrk

• 3. Re: Windows 10 wifi
              nrkmann

Do you know the model of the wireless card that you are using?

Albert: Wireless card is Cisco WUSB600N ver 2. It is a USB adapter. I have also used a BrosTrend AC600 USB adapter(full size), and a generic mini AC600 USB adapter with the same results.  If you know of another adapter or card that would be better please let me know as this is the only issue I have with Win 10. Everything is OK with Server 2008 R2.   regards... nrk

p.s. Windows 10 downloaded and installed an update and the issue is gone and all of my wireless adapters work as advertised. Almost like MS gives and takes away.