11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 2:11 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC7i3BNH drive detection problem with M.2 SSD (ADATA SP550 240GB)

Marjo Suuronen

Hello,

One of our customers is facing drive detection problems with NUC7i3BNH and ADATA SP550 M.2 240GB SSD. Sometimes the ssd is detected and sometimes not when the unit is turned on. The unit and ssd works fine once the ssd has been detected. Based on their description I assume the problem is not related to "power loss" situation. Sometimes it requires multiple power on-off tries to get the ssd detected.

The problem seems very similar to these:

Anyone else have boot issue with m.2 after "power loss"? (NUC7i3BNH)

NUC7i3 Boot Problems with Intel® SSD 600p(Firmware PSF109C )

I was about to just RMA process the unit/ssd but once I saw the above threads, I thought this might not be a unit specific problem. I'm trying to narrow down the fastest way to resolve this since the unit is used in production. We do not have many NUC7s yet out there and I'm very anxious to find out if there is some potential timing etc. incompatibility problem with NUC7 and particular M2. SSD.

Any help on this matter is well appreciated!

BR, Marjo Suuronen

• 1. Re: NUC7i3BNH drive detection problem with M.2 SSD (ADATA SP550 240GB)
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello marjosuuronen,

Could you please provide the following information in regard to the Intel® NUC Kit?

• BIOS version installed.
          • SSD firmware version installed.

Regards,

Amy

• 2. Re: NUC7i3BNH drive detection problem with M.2 SSD (ADATA SP550 240GB)
            Marjo Suuronen

The NUC7i3BNH has the latest bios version 0036 installed. Since the unit is on the end customer, I do not know the SSD firmware version, it is however the default factory firmware version.

• 3. Re: NUC7i3BNH drive detection problem with M.2 SSD (ADATA SP550 240GB)
              Intel Corporation

Thanks for the response.

Is there any chance you can get in contact with the customer and update that version to the latest? One more thing I would like to check is the health of that SSD, the following tool; Valuable Software_Downloads_Support_ADATA Technology should help to run a quick diagnostic.

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: NUC7i3BNH drive detection problem with M.2 SSD (ADATA SP550 240GB)
                Marjo Suuronen

Definitely, we will most likely get result in 12h or so when it's working hours here in Finland. Is there some particular reason for asking to update the SSD firmware? I've understood that SSD firmwares are not to be updated unless explicitly instructed by the manufacturer, at least we have never needed to update SSD firmware before.

• 5. Re: NUC7i3BNH drive detection problem with M.2 SSD (ADATA SP550 240GB)
                  Intel Corporation

Sure, I will be waiting for the results.

Well, at this stage I am just looking at all possible scenarios. Since the unit already has the latest BIOS version, the next thing would be checking with a different firmware version.

Regards,

Amy.

• 6. Re: NUC7i3BNH drive detection problem with M.2 SSD (ADATA SP550 240GB)
                    jirages

Hello, I have had this problem before , not on a NUC , but on a gigabyte brix with intel processor.

the problem was, when installing windows on the ssd , I had a choice for boot sequence in BIOS for USB key or ssd, etc.

In BIOS, I always had TWO choices to launch USB windows installation key,

Fist choice with the USB key name  (legacy)

Second choice, it was UEFI (the USB key name)

whenever I installed windows from UEFI , the ssd was recognised only three out of 4 times.

the solution was to go in BIOS and reset .

reboot, and boot order only in legacy, the usb key and ssd

hope there is a correlation to resolve your prob

• 7. Re: NUC7i3BNH drive detection problem with M.2 SSD (ADATA SP550 240GB)
                      Intel Corporation

jirages, thanks for the tip.

marjosuuronen, were you able to get the results from the SSD?

Regards,

Amy.

• 8. Re: NUC7i3BNH drive detection problem with M.2 SSD (ADATA SP550 240GB)
                        Marjo Suuronen

The customer tried to update the AData SSD's firmware and run the diagnostics but for some reason they were unable to do it, the AData's utility just did not detect the drive properly. They didn't have time to debug the problem or even get any logs for the error. They successfully cloned the content from the M.2 SSD to a 2.5" SSD we had provided and now the system is running. We are waiting for the M.2 SSD to be returned to us. Once we get it back, we will try it on a different NUC7i3BNH unit and see if we can reproduce the problem. I'll report back here. For the moment this should be considered as a isolated problem if you haven't noticed anything similar on your side.

• 9. Re: NUC7i3BNH drive detection problem with M.2 SSD (ADATA SP550 240GB)
                          Intel Corporation

Please share those results, I am interested in review them.

From my end, we have seen a few issues, but they have been narrowed down to the SSD in question. I personally tested a couple of Intel® SSD 600p Series on this Intel® NUC Kit model, and all of them worked fine.

Regards,

Amy.

• 10. Re: NUC7i3BNH drive detection problem with M.2 SSD (ADATA SP550 240GB)
                            kevob33

Hi,

I bought an Intel NUC7I3BNH about 2 weeks ago and installed 8GB of RAM, a 2.5'' 2TB SSHD for storage, and finally an Intel 600p (M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0x4) SSD to run Linux off of.

Everything worked flawlessly for about a week, then, one night, I was transferring and deleting several large files between the SSHD and the SSD. The machine became quite laggy and slow while doing so. I decided to reboot afterwards as a result.

All of a sudden, BIOS couldn't find any bootable drive - it didnt recognise my bootable Linux installation on the SSD, and has now been like this for the past week. I haven't been able to boot from the SSD since.

In BIOS (latest firmware), under Devices > SATA > M.2 SSD, it is listing my Intel SSD. If I boot into Linux from a bootable USB, the SSD isn't recognised by any programs (file explorers, partition editors, etc.) or by any disk related commands such as `fdisk`, `blkid` or `lsblk`. I can't access any of my data. It is as if the drive isn't even connected.

`lspci` does, however, list

3c:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Intel Corporation Device f1a5 (rev 03)

which I presume must be the SSD.

Running `dmesg` immediately after booting into the Live USB shows the following errors too:

[   63.338610] nvme nvme0: I/O 210 QID 0 timeout, disable controller

[   63.445859] nvme nvme0: Identify Controller failed (-4)

[   63.449525] nvme nvme0: Removing after probe failure status: -5

Lastly, after having opening the NUC, I have noticed that the chip on the SSD gets quite hot after only having power for a short amount of time. It is at a heat that I can hold my finger on for a long couple of seconds, but not much longer. I have no idea if these kinds of heats are the norm for a correctly operating M.2 SSD.

I am a bit lost with what any of this means, or why it is happening, but I am extremely frustrated after not having a fully working machine a full 2 weeks after I purchased it. I am very surprised that an Intel SSD would not work properly in an Intel Motherboard, especially after no information on what M.2 SSDs are compatible with the NUC is provided when purchasing the kit.

• 11. Re: NUC7i3BNH drive detection problem with M.2 SSD (ADATA SP550 240GB)
                              Intel Corporation

kevob33, for us to further assist you and to help you with the specific problem, please create a new thread, make sure to add all the details in regard to your system. This way the next agent will have a better look at your specific scenario, you can add this thread as a reference but I recommend creating a new thread in order to isolate your case.

Regards,

Amy.