7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2017 7:58 AM by Intel Corporation

4K not display?

minorut

Compute Stick Windows 8.1 doesn't seem to boot with 4K HDMI monitor.

Does someone know how to work it out?

• 1. Re: 4K not display?
          Repeat%20Offender

I have a Compute Stick STK1AW32SC and a 4K HDMI monitor Samsung UN50UH6950 and both can be problematic. Before I could get my Samsung to display anything on my desktop with an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650 I had to update the BIOS on the Samsung and the video drivers on the NVIDIA card. I can't recall whether I upgraded the video BIOS on the NVIDIA as well. The Samsung sometimes won't work with any PC and when it gets into that mode the only way to fix it is to unplug it for a few minutes or until such time as it decides to behave. The Compute Stick doesn't boot every time; you might have more luck if you remove the SD card (if any) and unplug everything except a USB keyboard when you try to restart. Also turn off any WiFi that the Compute Stick knows how to connect to.

What kind of monitor (manufacturer and model number) do you have? Is it a Smart TV? Can another 4K @ 30 Hz capable PC successfully use that same HDMI port on your monitor? Can your Compute Stick successfully boot with another TV? You could take it down to the TV store and test it with another brand of 4K TV; I have found that salespeople are just as curious about performance of their TVs with your computer as you are and are generally happy to let you test if they are not too busy. If you can get it to work there you might want to go to Start->Control Panel->Display->Adjust Resolution->Advanced Settings->List All Modes and jot down what 3840x2160 video modes your Compute Stick says it can do and check whether your 4K monitor can handle any of them. Also check that your Compute Stick can switch to them at the store while you're at it.

So I would start by downloading and installing the latest BIOS for your Compute Stick and also the 4 or 5 drivers that Intel provides and also update the BIOS on your 4K monitor. Then unplug the monitor for a few minutes, replug it and try your Compute Stick again. You may have to change the settings for the HDMI port on your monitor or use a particular port to get one that's compatible with PC video output. Consult your monitor's documentation or if it's a Smart TV you may be able to find a  thread in  AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews  about it.

If all that doesn't work, your Compute Stick may still be booting up, just not talking to the monitor. If you have a Smart TV or Windows 10 PC in addition to the problematic monitor you might be able to login blind and connect to the other Smart TV via miracast and at this point you might be able to conduct some diagnostics, e.g. via MonInfo http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/mi_setup.exe , on your 4K monitor. I started a thread about logging in blind like this Blind login , but it was for Windows 10, not 8.1. You could run through the keyboard sequence necessary in Windows 8.1 while connected to a monitor that your Compute Stick likes and then punch it in blind while connected to your 4K monitor. That's another experiment you could try at the TV store if necessary.

I hope you can get this to work somehow. Anything less than 4K resolution is pretty much worthless for a computer monitor.

• 2. Re: 4K not display?
            N.Scott.Pearson

I ran tests with both a FC ICS (STCK1A32WFCR) and a SC ICS (STK1AW32SC) connected to a Samsung UN40KU6290 4K TV. Both have latest BIOS and Windows 10 drivers installed.

With the FC ICS, everything worked fine, but the TV was only supported up to 1920x1080. I could not get it to operate at 3840x2160 at all.

With the SC ICS, everything worked fine. It operated at 3840x2160 (30Hz) right away and I had no problems at all (well, other than everything was so danged small that my elderly eye had a hard time finding the freaking cursor!).

I will run tests with both m3 and m5 VPRO versions of the CC ICS a little later...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: 4K not display?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello all,

Thank you for your help.

minorut, are you using the HDMI extender cable to connect the Intel® Compute Stick?

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: 4K not display?
                minorut

Hi all,

Thank you for your kind help.

I have been trying to update BIOS on the compute stick, but no success so far.

Error message appears while running the program from Windows.

I will try other methods.

Hi Amy,

Yes, I use extender cable about 1.5m long.

Is that a possible cause of the case?

• 5. Re: 4K not display?
                  minorut

Thank you for your advice.

My Compute Stick is STCK1A32WFC and works fine with FHD monitor.

The 4K monitor I am trying to is 4K TV using the HDMI input (Kogan / Model KALED55UHDUA), Kogan 55" 4K LED TV (Ultra HD) - Kogan.com

This works well with an Intel NUC5CPYH at 3840x2160 also works well with H/P FHD laptop PC extended output.

I will try what you suggested from now.

• 6. Re: 4K not display?
                    Intel Corporation

minorut, thanks for your answer.

I just wanted to check if you were using it with the extender or straight to the TV. Please keep me updated while you test the suggestions from the peers.

Try the F7 recovery method; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000006039.html 

Regards,

Amy.

• 7. Re: 4K not display?
                      Intel Corporation

minorut, were you able to try the suggestions mentioned before?

Please share your results.

Regards,

Amy.