7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2017 2:28 PM by Intel Corporation

Z77 chipset , Raid 1, SSD, Linux

Andrey_nsk

Hello people,

Could you clarify if the chipset which is said to use the following qualities:

Intel® Z77 chipset :

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray

2 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue

2 x eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), red

Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10

Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology, Intel® Smart Connect Technology *3

should be used for construction of Raid 1 of two SSD drivers?

I got an argument against hardware Raid use : "if a ssd dies in few years it would be a problem to buy one exactly same".

Should a software raid be considered to use at a board with the cpihset rather than a hardware raid controller used?

Does the hardware Raid support TRIM for ssd drives performance is not reduced?

Sincerely yours,

Andrey Volodin

Linux developer

• 1. Re: Z77 chipset , Raid 1, SSD, Linux
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Andrey_nsk,

The Intel® Z77 Express Chipset supports all of the features you mentioned; however, the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology GUI is a Windows-based only application. Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

You may use the Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM to create the RAID volume for Linux (CTRL + I when prompted during boot).

*Bear in mind that even when the chipset supports RAID, it depends on the system manufacturer if it will support all RAID configurations.

In regards to your question "Does the hardware Raid support TRIM for SSD drives performance is not reduced?" As long as the SSD supports TRIM and the RAID controller is validated for the specific SSD model you want to use, you shouldn't have any issue. Only SSDs with drive lithography of 34 nm (G2) or newer support the TRIM command. 50-nm SSDs are not supported.

Please click here for additional information regarding TRIM.

As to software vs hardware RAID configuration, it will depend on your needs. You have to consider compatibility and benefit gain with each one.If you want to implement a RAID 1 using an Intel® RAID Controller, I recommend you to contact our Servers Team.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
          Juan Carlos

• 2. Re: Z77 chipset , Raid 1, SSD, Linux
            Andrey_nsk

Hi Juan,

Thank you for your response.

It seems that there is no direct answer to the question if I should look for hardware or software implementation of raid. It seems that hardware raid utility can be invoked by pressing Contrl + "I" on boot, approximately at the time of bios boot. It seems that the hardware and software raid would utilize TRIM of SSD which is the "garbage" technology. However it seems that without knowing exact model of SSD devices it would be difficult to say anything particular in regards to recommended implementation of Raid 1 at  the chipset containing board.

Could you share your thoughts on that hypothetical case: in few years SSD "dies" and a necessity of substituting of the dead element arise.

What would be possible estimation in regards to complications which could arise in such case?

Could I face a situation when I wouldn't be able to buy compatible model of SSD to substitute a broken one in the SSD hardware Raid or software Raid SSD. Which of the two types of Raid will reduce uncertainty in regards to that matters?

Would it be technically possible to get a SSD of a hardware raid and assign it to a software raid in case it turns out that hardware controller doesn't find any compatible options for existing in 3 years at marketplace SSD drives?

Would there be chances to get somehow hardware Raid restored  via software Raid use in case no options of getting of a compatible drive exist in few years for substitution of hardware dead element?

Would be performance of Hardware raid configured within Matrix better that a software raid configured within RHEL installation?

Main use of the board and chipset is expected to be a Virtualization of the Raid1 massive. It means that it would be a RHEL-like Virtualization server with Windows 8-10 guests on it and the performance is rather desired to be the most rapid and instant.

Thank you for your inputs.

Sincerely yours,

Andrey Volodin

• 3. Re: Z77 chipset , Raid 1, SSD, Linux
              Andrey_nsk

Especially is interesting if the following model : 850 EVO SATA III 2.5inch SSD (Starter kit) | Samsung UK

use is recommended  with software or rather hardware Raid1 on the chipset.

• 4. Re: Z77 chipset , Raid 1, SSD, Linux
                Intel Corporation

Hi Andrey_nsk,

The integrated RAID controller on this computer is HW and SW RAID controller. This means that it will use HW and SW (drivers) to be able to work with raid features. 

In regard TRIM support in Windows 7* (in AHCI and RAID mode for drives not part of a RAID volume) you can check the following information:

http://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005807.html

I would say SSD technology will pass and new HW will be available in the future. For now, the fastest way to access data on our computers is through SSD. 

HW components may fail at any time since they are electronic components, it is hard to say about this statement. You will always get data redundancy with RAID 1. RAID 0, that would be for performance only. 

If one of the SSD contains data as storage, there won't be any problem moving the SSD from HW RAID to SW raid. If one of the SSDs is the system drive, then you will have issues. 

You can't combine HW RAID controller and SW RAID controllers. They both use different features and controllers. 

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
                Juan Carlos

• 5. Re: Z77 chipset , Raid 1, SSD, Linux
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Andrey_nsk,

I was reviewing this thread and I was wondering if you need further assistance.

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post if you need additional information.

Regards,
                  Juan Carlos

• 6. Re: Z77 chipset , Raid 1, SSD, Linux
                    Andrey_nsk

Hi Juan,

Yet I got some advise which seems to make sense:

-to upgrade  a firmware of ssd devices before attaching to a raid

By now I did not implement Raid, However I shall continue the investigation.

Sincerely,

Andrey

• 7. Re: Z77 chipset , Raid 1, SSD, Linux
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Andrey_nsk,

Thank you for the update.

Please don't hesitate in contacting us back if you need further assistance.

Regards,
                      Juan Carlos