Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Media Accelerator HD output to TV (No HDMI)

idata
Employee

Hi all! Just purchased an Acer AS5740-5780 which runs the Intel i3 processor (Windows 7 HP OS), 4GB RAM, and has the Intel Media Accelerator HD graphics card. The Acer has an HDMI output, and VGA. My current TV is only 2 years old, but I don't have an HDMI input, only RCA or S-Video.

I've read for hours on some possible solutions to connect my new laptop to my TV (primarily to watch streaming Netflix movies), but there seems to be some disagreement. Some say a cable, some say a convertor is needed, some say the cable will work only if the graphica card is capable and already set up for "TV out."

Any ideas on which is correct, and the most cost-effective way to connect these two would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

No VGA on your TV?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

There is only RCA or S-video available on the TV. No VGA. Thanks for asking.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks again for trying to help. I saw this when I was searching for an answer, and have two concerns: 1) some feedback suggested this doesn't work because of the way the signal is transferred through the cable. I don't know. 2) I have no idea if the Media Accelerator HD graphics card has "TV out" and haven't found any specs to clarify. I've looked on Intel's site and others and don't see it listed.

Also, why would anyone make a cable 5 inches long? Unless I was plugging my laptop into a projector right beside it, it wouldn't reach anyway.

Thanks again. John

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

HD does support TV output and even includes a TV Wizard to adjust image quality. The cable I suggested is just an adapter , you plug an S Video cable into it which will give you the length you need.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks. This sounds promising. I'll give it a try!

0 Kudos