1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2017 11:15 AM by Intel Corporation

usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk

repoman576

hello

I just bought a nuc7i3bnk.  32 gigs ram, Samsung 250 gig m2 evo, win 10 pro

latest drivers on site and running bios 36

my problem is that I'm having intermittent issues with the orinco usb3 case with a 500 gig Seagate non ssd drive

if that drive is being access......it works fine.  if you do not use it for a while and then go to it, it hangs and takes forever to read, if at all.  this happens on any of the usb 3 ports on the nuc.

my question is.....anyone have great success with a usb 3 case and if yes what model.....id be willing to try it

thanks

will

• 1. Re: usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

In regard to your inquiry, on the following link you will find the list of the USB 3.0 drives that were tested by Intel, among some other components that are fully compatible with the NUC:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-kits/000023164.html

In this case what we recommend to do is a BIOS update to the latest version, as you did, and make sure the proper drivers chipset and management engine are installed:

Chipset:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26330/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Intel-NUC?product=95069

Management Engine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26482/Intel-Management-Engine-Intel-ME-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kits-NUC7i-x-BN?product=95069

Since the USB 3.0 drivers get installed during the Windows installation, to try a Windows update is also another option to try to fix this problem.

Did you try the hard drive on the USB 2.0 ports?

If you use a different device on the USB 3.0 ports, do you get the same problem?

If you go to the BIOS, under “devices” then look for “USB”, you should see an option that says: “xHCI”, did you try to disable it and test the drive?

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk
            repoman576

hello

i am running the latest bios and the latest everything.  the problem is not
            that the orinco case doesn't work, it works intermittently.  once you do not use
            it for a few mins.......it takes forever to read.  once its able to read the
            drive....its ok again.

i tried the usb 3 orinco case with a 500 mb hard drive on other usb 3 port
            and all resulted the same.  heres the funny thing......i had an older nuc
            dn2820fykh which originally ran win 7 and was fine.  when i upgraded to win 10 i
            started to have the same issues as i do now with this new nuc7i3bnk.  so im
            thinking this is a windows 10/drivers issue rather than the orinco case. 

please correct me if im wrong....but i dont think there is a usb 2 port on
            the nuc7i3bnk.

i will try disabling the xhci and give that a shot

thank you

will

• 3. Re: usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk
              Intel Corporation

Hello :

You are welcome.

Thank you very much for letting us know those details, we really appreciate that.

The USB drivers for Windows® 7 are installed separately, it seems to be that those drivers are detecting the Orinoco case properly.

Now, you are right, since the USB 3.0 drivers get installed automatically when you install Windows® 10, then the problem could be related to those drivers not being working as expected in regard to the case.

For that situation we recommend to get in contact with Microsoft directly:

Microsoft’s phone number: 1 800-642-7676

Microsoft’s support site: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

In regard to your question, yes there is an option to use USB 2.0 on the NUC, but that will be by using the internal headers:

http://ark.intel.com/products/95069/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BNK

Perfect, please let me know the results of disabling XHCI.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 4. Re: usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk
                repoman576

hello

finally had the chance to go into the bios.....

under devices>USB  I do NOT see a listing for xhci

on the left pane there is usb configuration and under it is usb legacy which is checked off and under that is portable device charging mode and a drop box after it

on the right pane is usb port and drop down boxes to enable or disable each

that is all there is where you sent me

anyway...im kind of convince this is a win 10 driver issue anyway as this orinco usb 3 unit worked flawlessly under win 7

will

• 5. Re: usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk
                  a_s

Try to change power scheme HDD sleep values (or something like that) - from what it sounds like it seems your HDD is tunrned off and when you want to access it it needs time to wake up.

• 6. Re: usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk
                    Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to  for the suggestions provided above.

To :

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

As you mentioned before, this problem seems to be related to Windows® 10 based on the fact that the device works with Windows® 7 just fine.

Sometimes there is the option to do firmware update or install the latest drivers on the hard drive, and sometimes they have their own application tool where you might be able to change the sleep states on it, as it was suggested by .

I looked for that information and I found a link where there are a firmware update, a hardware manager and drivers available for the drives, but before trying any of those options we recommend to get in contact directly with Orico, to confirm if that is a good option for this scenario and if those drivers are compatible to the hard drive model you have and if it works for Windows ® 10, here is the link and the contact information to reach them:

Downloads:

http://www.orico.cc/drive.php

Contact information:

http://www.orico.cc/faq.php?id=60

Regards

Alberto

• 7. Re: usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk
                      repoman576

thanks for the suggestion but I actually considered that already.  one of the first things I do when I set up windows is I change the power option of the hard drives to 0 which I believe is never turn off hard disk.  also.....we are talking within seconds.....rather than minutes

I could be accessing stuff on the usb drive and less than a minute later I wouldn't be able to  read anything on that drive.  you can see its scanning it but it takes a long time...several minutes to scan

when its readable.......it works fine

ill check out those orinco drivers and let you guys know

thanks

• 8. Re: usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk
                        Intel Corporation

Hello :

Perfect, thank you very much for letting us now that information, yes, to set the power option of the hard drives to 0 or never is: never turn off hard disk.

No problem at all, take your time to install the Orinco drivers and please let us know the results.

Regards

Alberto

• 9. Re: usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk
                          Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if you were able to test the Orinco drivers and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards

Alberto

• 10. Re: usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk
                            repoman576

hello

sorry it took me so long to check out the orinco drivers site

apparently, I don't have a usb3 unit that has drivers for.  I have the 2588us3-bk.  the nearest unit that has drivers for is the 3855us3 and that driver is for win 8 not for win 10.  so I guess back to the drawing board.

thanks

will

• 11. Re: usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk
                              Intel Corporation

Hello :

No problem at all, we know sometimes it takes time to test different drivers.

Thank you very much for letting us know that information, we really appreciate that.

We are sorry to hear that the unit you have does support the USB 3.0 drivers.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto

• 12. Re: usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk
                                repoman576

I have contacted orinco.  their command of the English language is severely lacking.  they have repeatedly wanted me to go to intel and reinstall the usb driver.  I keep telling them that the driver doesn't work right.  this has gone on 2x now so I don't think they understand what I'm trying to say.  I may have to just live with it or try and find another usb3 case that works fine with win 10.

thanks

will

• 13. Re: usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello :

You are welcome.

Thank you very much for letting us know the results of getting in contact with Orinco.

We are sorry to hear that the information they gave you is not the one you expected or needed.

From our side we did the best we could in order to try to find a possible solution for this matter.

And yes, at this point to try to look for a different USB 3.0 case that fully supports Windows® 10 will be the best option for this scenario.

Regards

Alberto

• 14. Re: usb 3 case that works well for nuc7i3bnk
                                    repoman576

if anyone here has a usb3 2.5 case that works flawlessly in win 10, please let me know

thanks all

will

1 2 Previous Next