Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 issues

EWalk2
Beginner

I have a few Lenovo T560 laptops which were reloaded with Windows 7 SP1 with all drivers installed however users disconnect from the wired network and try to connect to the wireless via the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 they are unable to connect, I would then have to logon as administrator go to devicemanager and remove and search for new devices, it will then find it and install same. This fix works for a whilst but once the user shuts down the laptop the process has to be done again

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello WalkerE,

As we understand, some PC's with the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and Windows* 7 are having issues connecting to the network after the network cable is unplugged.

The main recommendation we have for this situation is a clean installation of the updated wireless driver following these steps:

1. As first option obtain the driver from the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support. If the issue persists, you can try our generic version 19.40.0 that can be downloaded from the following website:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26599/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7* [19.40.0]

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

- Go to the Power options of your laptop, in the Advanced Settings for your Power Plan, and make sure that the Wireless Adapter is set to work at "Maximum Performance" when plugged in and on battery.

- Also, make sure that Windows* has the latest system updates installed.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello WalkerE,

He have not received any updates for this thread. Please let us know if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
xLoh
Beginner

Hi, i am also having this issue with my wireless adapter. ASUS UX330UAK using wireless adapter 8260. contacted asus and done all solutions but doesnt help. In my case, it is abit different i cant connect to my 5Ghz network however my other devices can. The adapter self disable after trying to trying to connect to the 5Ghz network. The 2.4Ghz network connects without issues.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LukePierce,

Please make sure you apply the recommendations regarding OEM driver updates, Power options and OS updates that we mentioned in our previous post.

Additionally, you can try the following:

- Make sure that the Access Point firmware is up to date.

- Try deleting the wireless profile from the computer, and try recreating it.

If the issue persists, please provide the following information:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool with the connection working fine, and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options to add the resulting file to your post as an attachment.

- Errors or warnings you receive about this issue.

- Access point model and firmware version.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
pkvrz
Beginner

ad-hoc connection on win10, with this hardware. possible or not?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pero,

The hosted network/soft AP features are not supported on Windows® 10 with recent Intel® Wireless Adapters. Windows® 10 introduces a new driver model called the WLAN Device Driver Interface (WDI). The new driver model no longer supports Soft AP.

You can find more information about this in the following documents:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000023257.html Why are Soft AP (Hosted network) and IBSS (Ad-Hoc Network) Not Working on Windows® 10?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000006057.html Frequently Asked Questions about Intel® Wireless Adapters

We noticed that your inquiry is not related to the main topic of this thread. Please keep in mind that you can always create a new thread in the /community/tech/wireless Wireless Networking Community if the existing ones do not match your question.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LukePierce,

Please let us know if there was any change after our recommendations, or if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos