3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2017 11:55 AM by Intel Corporation

Skull Canyon + AkiTio + XFX RX480 = BSOD

Gavinaldi

I got an AkiTio Node and an XFX RX480; trying to hook it up to a NUC Skull Canyon. Whenever I try to install the display drivers, I get a BSOD on my Win10pro ver 1607. The error message reads 'stop code: THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER'.

I first went with the traditional install from the AMD driver setup file. When that first BSOD, I tried updating the driver from Device Manager.

When that failed I used DDU to remove drivers, then I tried to cheat a little by installing the drivers while in Safe mode (RegEdit->Run TB3 service). I was able to get the drivers installed, but then when I tried to boot into full mode, the computer boots into the windows logon screen and then it BSOD. Turning off the eGPU enclosure allows the machine to resume normal operations, but if it's running fine, and then I turn on the AkiTio Node, it BSOD.

I am a bit at a loss, here; and feeling kind of hopeless.

I am considering disabling the integrated GPU, but I am a little scared that doing so might leave me completely blind, and unable to get into BIOS to re-enable the iGPU.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Or does anyone know if there would be a way to reset the BIOS so that the iGPU would re-enable itself, in the event that trying to cut out all and any display other than TB3->RX480 doesn't really fix the situation either?

• 1. Re: Skull Canyon + AkiTio + XFX RX480 = BSOD
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Gavinaldi,

Thank you for reaching the Intel Communities.

After reviewing the system configuration you provided I found the following:

1. The AKiTiO Node has a built-in 400W PSU but the graphics card you have requires at least a 500W PSU.
          2. The AKiTiO Node is only compatible with the graphics cards listed here.

The Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK supports the Razer Core*, you can review the information by clicking on the following link:

Thunderbolt™ 3/USB Type C Information

The Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK doesn't come with an option to disable the integrated graphics; however, you can choose the preferred video output in a non-driver environment (such as POST or BIOS).

You can use the following links for additional information:

XFX Radeon™ RX 480 Specifications

AKiTiO Node Specifications

Razer Core Specifications

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post if you need further assistance.

Regards,
          Juan Carlos

• 2. Re: Skull Canyon + AkiTio + XFX RX480 = BSOD
            Gavinaldi

Thanks for the reply, JC.

Before seeing your response, and before giving up on the AkiTio Node, I opted to give the Node another shot by trying a different card. I wen with a Gainward GTX1070.

I got mixed results. On the one hand, the installation was rather straightforward and went without a hitch. But on the other hand, Windows is behaving all kinds of weird.

(1)AkiTioNode+GainwardGTX1070.jpg(2)AkiTioNode+GainwardGTX1070.jpg

• 3. Re: Skull Canyon + AkiTio + XFX RX480 = BSOD
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Gavinaldi,

As to the mixed results with the Gainward GTX1070 graphics card, it is also not on the supported list for the AKiTiO Node and this may be the reason for these results.

There currently isn't an option to disable the "iGPU", or in this case the Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 580 on your Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK, or on any other Intel® NUC at this time.

I want also to clarify "you can choose the preferred video output in a non-driver environment (such as POST or BIOS)" that this applies for the IGD (integrated graphics).

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
              Juan Carlos