12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2010 2:49 AM by Schrand

DP55WG - PWM fan not visible in BIOS and Intel Desktop Utilities

Schrand

My Intel DP55WG desktop board is build into an Antec Sonata III 500 case.

The latest BIOS 4507 (KGIBX10J.86A.4507.EB) is installed.

Further, I have installed the latest Intel Desktop Utilities (IDU) version 3.0.16.082a, under Windows 7 x64.

I replaced the standard 120 mm Antec rear case fan for a PWM fan: the Arctic F12 Pro PWM.

It looks like the DP55WG and/or IDU is not compatible with this fan: the fan is not visible in both the BIOS and the IDU.

In the BIOS I tried all possible settings for Hardware monitoring. When the system fan control is set for "Enabled" and the minimum speed as "Slow" the fan indeed is rotating slow, but when the minimum speed is set as "Off" the fan rotates much faster (could be full speed).

I also did try the "Fans Redetect" option in the IDU.

But never the fan is shown in the IDU or BIOS.

Another strange thing is that in the BIOS there are four fan speeds listed: CPU, FRONT, REAR and AUX, but on the DP55WG there are only three fan connectors (no AUX).

Is anybody using the same fan with better results?

• 1. Re: DP55WG - PWM fan not visible in BIOS and Intel Desktop Utilities
          Boyet

I have the Arctic F12 and F8 PWM fans. They are installed in my DP55WB system as Rear and Front fan. In the bios they can be identified as front and rear fan aside from the processor fan. I also have IDU installed and originally these fans are labeled as Inlet fan 1 and 2 but I change it to Inlet and Outlet fan. Both fan are operating as expected. They are very silent.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DP55WG - PWM fan not visible in BIOS and Intel Desktop Utilities
            Schrand

Thank you for your response.

The DP55WG and DP55WB are largely similar, and specifically the hardware monitoring systems look to be identical.

Also the different Arctic F12 PWM fans are comparable. These fans are indeed very silent.

So, when comparing our systems, the only real difference of importance for this problem might be the BIOS.

Do you also have four fan speeds listed, and which BIOS setting do you use?

• 3. Re: DP55WG - PWM fan not visible in BIOS and Intel Desktop Utilities
              Boyet

In my bios under Real-Time Hardware monitoring the fan speed are listed as: Processor Fan Speed, Front Fan Speed, and Rear Fan Speed. There is no auxiliary fan speed unlike in your bios.

The following are my settings:

CPU Fan Control = Enable

System Fan Control = Enable

Lowest Fan Speed = Low

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DP55WG - PWM fan not visible in BIOS and Intel Desktop Utilities
                Schrand

OK, thanks again Boyet.

I am using the same bios settings (and also tried all other settings). I am using only one extra fan apart from the CPU fan (no front fan), but I am pretty sure that this can (at least should) not be the cause of this problem.

It looks like a fault in the bios probably is causing this problem. It would be great if someone with a DP55WG and a PWM fan could confirm this.

Hopefully the next bios update for the DP55WG will solve this.

• 5. Re: DP55WG - PWM fan not visible in BIOS and Intel Desktop Utilities
                  Schrand

As an update to this problem: it appeared that today a new BIOS update was released for the DP55WG: version 4752.

Although the release notes did not mention anything that comes close to  the problem in question, I inmediately installed this new BIOS.

However, unfortunately this new BIOS does not solve the problem.

So, assuming that the problem is caused by a flaw in the BIOS, I hope that a next update will solve it.

• 6. Re: DP55WG - PWM fan not visible in BIOS and Intel Desktop Utilities
                    Schrand

Problem solved!

It appeared to be a problem with the Arctic F12 Pro PWM fan anyhow. Apparently I did misunderstand how to connect this fan to the desktop board.

There are three connectors attached to the fan:

A) a normal 4-pin PWM plug with 4 wires

B) a 4-pin PWM socket with 4 wires (running from plug A)

C) a 3-pin power plug with 1 wire

Originally I only connected plug A) to the Rear fan header, and that didn't work (the fan speed was controlled, but the speed was not shown in the BIOS and IDU).

To solve this it appeared that I also had to connect the plug C) to socket B).

The plug C) apparently gives the tacho signal that can be used to measure the fan speed, and this signal is now transfered via socket B) to plug A) and to the desktop board.

• 7. Re: DP55WG - PWM fan not visible in BIOS and Intel Desktop Utilities
                      Eandori

Glad to hear your problem is now resolved and even more glad to hear that it was not us that had a failure.

Remember all, on DP55KG, DP55SB, and on DP55WG be sure to set the 3 or 4 wire fan question properly.  A 3 wire fan is not PWM but a 4 wire fan is.  We have 4 wire fan headers on all headers with the intention of customers plugging in either 3 or 4 wire, but then making sure BIOS Setup is set to the proper setting.  3 Wire fan for 3 Wire fans.  4 wire fan for 4 wire fans. 

• 8. Re: DP55WG - PWM fan not visible in BIOS and Intel Desktop Utilities
                        Boyet

I am assuming that you have correctly made the connections as indicated in the included illustration of the fan.

Anyway, I'm glad that you have solved the problem.

• 9. Re: DP55WG - PWM fan not visible in BIOS and Intel Desktop Utilities
                          Schrand

Hi Edwin,

You are welcome :-)

Assuming that you are an Intel employee, it is good to see that these comunities are closely monitored bij Intel.

• 10. Re: DP55WG - PWM fan not visible in BIOS and Intel Desktop Utilities
                            Schrand

Yes, I now followed the "If there is an extra 4-pin PWM socket on the mainboard" connection scheme from Arctic installation leaflet.

This Arctic installation leaflet is not very clear, and at first I assumed that it would be logic to only connect the 4-pin PWM plug with the four wires. But apparently only three of these wires are used in that case (not the wire for the tacho signal).

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

• 11. Re: DP55WG - PWM fan not visible in BIOS and Intel Desktop Utilities
                              Schrand

To Edwin Tracy,

Edwin, assuming that you are an Intel employee, I would like to point your attention to two problems with the fan control that also have been mentioned in this discussion and that still exist.

The first problem is that when in the BIOS the System fan control is set as ENABLED and the minimum speed is set as OFF the fans run always at full speed

As I understand it the idea is that the fans with this OFF setting should stop completely when there is no demand for extra cooling, in stead of always at least running at a slow speed with the SLOW setting. Is this the correct understanding?

The second problem is that in the DP55WG BIOS (including the newest version 4752) a fan speed for an AUX fan is shown, but this fan connection does not exist for the DP55WG.

• 12. Re: DP55WG - PWM fan not visible in BIOS and Intel Desktop Utilities
                                Schrand

After installing the newest BIOS version 4905 for the DP55WG this problem still isn't solved.

The System fan is still running at full speed all the time when the minimum speed setting in the BIOS is "OFF".