6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2017 3:14 AM by SpiderKenny

How long should an image build stall at one step?

SpiderKenny

HI everyone

I'm trying to build the linux image, with the fix for paho-mqtt from this thread.

And also the patch from Sergey at this page to enable I2S Audio with a WM8731 DAC.

However the build keeps stalling at one particular step. It has been stalled here for an hour or more.

If I stop the build, clean up and start again it stalls at the same place again.

(The build is being done on my hosted server right inside my ISPs data centre, so internet connection speed is not an issue, it basically gets about 450 Mbs! )

So, should I just wait it out? How long do you think it should stall here?

Here's a screen shot of where it is stalled:

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 11.33.29.png

• 1. Re: How long should an image build stall at one step?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello SpiderKenny,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Edison Breakout Board.

While reading the Intel Edison Board Support Package User Guide (http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/edison/sb/edisonbsp_ug_331188007.pdf) I noticed the following sentence:

Building all the packages from scratch can take up to 5 or 6 hours, depending on the host.

Usually, if the building process presents any kind of issue, a set of errors appear at the end of it. When I build an image, I tend to leave it overnight, so I haven’t checked if a particular step takes an hour or more.

Have you tried leaving it for the expected 5 or 6 hours, just to make sure the step is not stalling and just taking a large amount of time?

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Regards,
          Andres V.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How long should an image build stall at one step?
            SpiderKenny

Hi Andres,

So I left it for over 24 hours, but it made no difference!

I suspected it wouldn't complete, because the do_fetch stage should take mere seconds on a 450 Mbps backbone.

Anyway, I left it 24 hours, and nothing happend. So I killed it (CTRL+C twice to stop bitbake).

I re-ran "make image" and this time it came to the same place but with a prompt:

"Username for 'https://github.com': " - I'm guessing it was stalled at this prompt in the background the first time.

It looks like the recipe for iotkit-comms is broken.

Surely there must be someone at Intel who can fix the build? I'd be willing to pay for support on this one.

• 3. Re: How long should an image build stall at one step?
              SpiderKenny

Hi Andres

So I did some more digging, and it turns out that the iotkit-comm-js repository no longer exists at github.com/intel-iot-devkit (or it is hidden or private).

I will try to figure out either where it is now, or how to remove it from the build. No doubt it will have spaghetti-like dependencies which will take a while to work through.....

I know I go about this, but doing the image build should not be so hard. Someone (even a bot) should be appointed as the build maintainer, they should do the build every day, and should work through any issues like this that get thrown up from time to time.

Intel were good enough to give us the build in the first place, but it's now broken for everyone and I can't find anyone to help me get it fixed.

This is a commercial project I'm working on and it's costing my a fortune in lost time to work through these issues. Who can I contact at Intel for proper commercial quality support?

• 4. Re: How long should an image build stall at one step?
                SpiderKenny

OK I found the problem!

The iotkit-comms-js repository is longer hosted at github.com/intel-iot-devkit

There is a version from 2015 which is hosted at github.com/mceisel so I edited the recipe to point to that, and the build now works again.

I've written up the exact instructions I use to do the build here : Fixed: The current yocto image build for Edison  in another discussion.

I hope this helps others who are currently struggling with the build.

• 5. Re: How long should an image build stall at one step?
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello SpiderKenny,

I'm glad you could solve the issue.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the community, we really appreciate it.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                  Andres V.

• 6. Re: How long should an image build stall at one step?
                    SpiderKenny

Thanks Andres

It's been frustrating at times - especially for someone who is new to building images from source, but I have learned a lot along the way.

I've just heard from "Joe" that there are other ways to build the images too, namely using Docker, so I'll investigate that and see if it'll work for me.

Happy days!

Best wishes,

Kenny.