I have the exact same problem. I got my NUC 3 days ago. Did the same installation (Win10/drivers/bios). I noticed it started to do the same behaviour (fan always on, power light on) after I did the BIOS upgrade. Before that it was fine. Also, fan stays on while putting computer to sleep now (in addition to staying on when doing a shutdown).
The only way I can shut down the NUC is either hold the power button for a few seconds (not a clean shutdown!), or do a restart in Windows and quickly press the power button when I see the BIOS screen...
I have a Samsung series 6, 4K HDTV as well.
I installed the latest BIOS. Can we flash to a previous BIOS version? I can't find previous BIOS on Intel's download center...
Found a solution!!
- go into BIOS and make sure the setting "IGD Minimum Memory" is 256MB or less. Anything higher and the shutdown/sleep fan/light problems are back. You can find it under "Devices>Video"
- flashed bios to older ver 41: problem is still there
- flashed back to latest bios ver 42: problem is still there
- loaded default bios settings (F9): problem is gone!!
- put back my custom settings in bios: problem is back
- reloaded back default bios settings, then customized only a few settings at a time until I could isolate the problem. Finally found out it was the "IGD Minimim Memory" settings if set above 256MB
Since I have 32GB of ram, I figured I could put everything to the max values in the Video tab...
Hope that solution works for you!
Hi Eric, glad you solved your problem, and I have 32GBs of ram too. I too have tried flashing back to the oldest version of the BIOs available from the intel site for the NUC but problems persists.
My BIOS settings was always on default so the "IGD Minimum Memory" setting was already lower than 256MB, tried it again at 256MB too but no luck.
Had even pulled the jumper to flash a new BIOS but nothing seems to fix this
Thanks for the help anyways! Chatted with Intel support and they say it might be a faulty fan controller so will have to return the unit.