12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 2:56 PM by Intel Corporation

ATAPI support in SATA system

clh333

I have a system that was built for me using the following components (as listed by Belarc):

Board: Intel Corporation DZ68DB AAG27985-104

Serial Number: BTDB2090013L

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

BIOS: Intel Corp. DBZ6810H.86A.0032.2011.0928.1502 09/28/2011

3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i5-2400

32 kilobyte primary memory cache

1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache

64-bit ready

Multi-core (4 total)

Not hyper-threaded

System memory is 16 GB, OS is Win7 64-bit.

I am trying to find a way to install an ATAPI device, an internal ZIP 100 drive, but the controllers (PCI or PCI-e) that I have tried all seem to conflict with or befuddle the system.  An Adaptec SCSI PCI controller can communicate successfully with and external ZIP drive, but so far I have not been able to install one internally.  I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion or solution to this problem.

Thanks for your replies.

• 1. Re: ATAPI support in SATA system
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello clh333,

Could you please let me know the ZIP 100 drive model you have?

Do you see any error message when booting to the operating system?

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: ATAPI support in SATA system
            N.Scott.Pearson

ZIP100 drives came with a number of different interfaces, parallel, floppy, SCSI, ATA/IDE and, later, USB; I never saw a version with a SATA interface, however. Which version you are actually trying to use?

Modern motherboards (and I allow the 6 Series boards to just barely make it into this category), have eschewed the parallel, floppy and ATA/IDE interfaces. In order to (now) use a drive with ATA/IDE interface, you need an add-in ATA/IDE card with PCI or PCIe interface. These should work with Windows 7, but are specifically *not* supported by Windows 10. I note also that, since the PCI interface, if present, is supported by an add-on bridge I/C, support for PCI-based cards can sometimes be spotty. An alternate approach is to use a ATA/IDE to SATA adapter, but making these work can be a hit-or-miss proposition as well. In order to use a drive with SCSI interface, you need an add-in SCSI card. As for a drive with USB interface, this should work without issue.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: ATAPI support in SATA system
              clh333

Amy,

This is a Model Z100ATAPI.  It is an internal drive that has been used successfully with older systems in the recent past.

-CH-

• 4. Re: ATAPI support in SATA system
                clh333

Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

As to ZIp interfaces, I have or had at least one of each.  As to SCSI cards, I understand the need for a SCSI card to use with a SCSI Zip drive; I have one that I am able to use with an external SCSI Zip drive.  I could try to find an internal SCSI Zip 100 drive and solve the problem that way, but I don't have an internal SCSI Zip 100.  They are available from eBay re-sellers but those are expensive, without warranty and of unknown condition.

Zip drives aside, however, the real question here is making an IDE interface get along with a SATA-oriented system.  No question SATA is preferable, except where the issue of legacy hardware crops up its ugly head.  I have tried several PCI cards that promised IDE ports.  A couple of them introduced a bus conflict that would not allow the machine to get past the BIOS.  Those that did were identified by the Win7 OS as being SCSI controllers.

Previous "hybrid" boards have been able to live with both systems on one board.  I was just asking if that was possible with this board; if anyone else had run across this problem and knew of a solution.

-CH-

• 5. Re: ATAPI support in SATA system
                  N.Scott.Pearson

It is somewhat normal for IDE add-in cards appear to Windows as SCSI controllers. This does not mean that the ATAPI commands necessary cannot be delivered, however.

I recommend that you try using a PCIe-based IDE add-in card. The issue with many PCI-based cards is that the Intel chipsets no longer provide PCI interfaces and, if any PCI slots are provided, they are supported by PCIe-to-PCI bridge chips - and these are notoriously problematic (yes, bus conflicts are one of the major issues seen with them).

You can alternatively try using IDE-to-SATA or IDE-to-USB adapters. There are many of these available in the marketplace and this may be your cheapest route. I have used both solutions to hook up old hardware successfully (though never a ZIP drive).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 6. Re: ATAPI support in SATA system
                    clh333

Scott,

First attempt was with a PCI-e card.  After that failed I tried two PCI cards.  Maybe it was just bad luck.

-CH-

• 7. Re: ATAPI support in SATA system
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, I would try the PCIe card again...

• 8. Re: ATAPI support in SATA system
                        Intel Corporation

CH, let me know how it goes.

N.Scott.Pearson thanks for the help.

Regards,

Amy.

• 9. Re: ATAPI support in SATA system
                          Intel Corporation

CH, were you able to test the PCIe card one more time?

Regards,

Amy.

• 10. Re: ATAPI support in SATA system
                            clh333

Amy, Scott:

Happy to report that I have found a solution: I installed a PCI ATA/133 Raid controller card having the Silicon Image SiI 0680 chipset.  This installed correctly as a storage controller and after connecting the Iomega ATAPI Zip 100 (internal) disk drive the SiI reported on boot that it recognized the Iomega at drive 0.

Win7 64-bit recognized the drive, recognized disk insertion, performed both long and short formatting of the disk, wrote to, read from and deleted from the drive and ejected the disk on command.

I am attaching a screen shot of my Computer Management screen.  You can see I have two Iomega Zip 100 drives.  The Zip 100 is internal on the SI ATA controller and the Zip 100 Plus is external on the Adaptec SCSI controller.

Here is a link to the eBay seller who provided the card:  PCI 32bit to 2 ports Ultra ATA 133 IDE Raid Controller Card Sil0680 Windows 7 | eBay

Thanks for your assistance.  I think this issue is resolved.

-CH-

CM_SCR.jpg

• 11. Re: ATAPI support in SATA system
                              N.Scott.Pearson

I will be honest, I am amazed that this worked. I would have expected that you would have to get a PCIe-based card before it worked. Still, if it works, you can't argue with success!

...S

• 12. Re: ATAPI support in SATA system
                                Intel Corporation

CH, great news! I am glad to hear you were able to fix this, and thank you for sharing it with the community.

Regards,

Amy.