1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 8:20 AM by rcooke

Why won't board D945GCLF2 auto-boot when power restored?

rcooke

I want to embed this board in a product.  The power switch will be buried out of sight.

The machine has one AC power switch, and I expect the user to turn it OFF at random - as users are want to do.  So I set the BIOS to restore power as was previous, thinking since its allways going to be ON, that should make it auto-boot whenever the AC power to the whole beast gets cycled.

No joy.  So I changed the BIOS to "Always boot".  Still no joy.  Then I noticed a pattern where it WOULD work.

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3.  And if I do a "shutdown" in Windows before I cycle power it BOOTS!

But if I just kill the power while Windows is still running, it does not.

I figure this means Windows is mucking with the ACPI.  But can anybody confirm this?

Thanks in Advance!

Rich.

• 1. Re: Why won't board D945GCLF2 auto-boot when power restored?
          rcooke

Additional information:

- Using a computer case that includes an ATX 80W supply that runs from 5-35 VDC (I'm running it at 12).

- My case is an A-Open M-270 (aka Morex 2788)

New observations:

- If I replace this DC/DC p/s with a real desktop ATX supply, the auto reboot feature WORKS!

- Running from the DC/DC p/s, if I cycle power before Windows loads, it does not re-boot. 

So, this seems to be something to do with the timing of the electrical signals wrt to the power rails?

Is there a technical document on the timing of the "power up" signal that comes out of this board?  Maybe its going active while my dc/dc power supply is still booting?

Thanks in advance, any thoughts appreciated.