Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

CPU Upgrade - Z87-Plus Compatibility Check

ETomk
Beginner

Hello,

I currently have an i5-4570 but it's just not keeping up with all my new kit, (GTX 960 Strix, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 500GB SSD etc.)

I use my rig for gaming (Mainly Arma). I'm looking to upgrade to a better CPU to increase FPS (Arma is very CPU-Intensive)

I use a Z87-Plus mobo and was just wondering if I could get recommendations for a new CPU (Socket 1150)? Would an 1151 fit in an 1150? I ask only in hope I don't have to upgrade my mobo as well.

Should I upgrade my mobo and get an even better CPU?

Thanks,

Ewan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What motherboard do you have (manufacturer and exact model)?

You must check with the manufacturer to see what processors are supported by THEIR BIOS.

An upgrade processor must be socket, bios, and chipset compatible.

Now, should you get a new motherboard and a better cpu? Well, the choice is yours. But, I would.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have to agree with Doc; while you can certainly look at upgrading this processor to (for example) a 4th generation Core i7 (subject, of course, to the processor support offered by the board and its BIOS), it is now 4 processor generations out of date and compatibility issues (etc.) will soon begin to occur. There is a significant boost in memory performance if you upgrade up to a 6th or 7th generation processor (of course this also means replacing your DRAM as well).

Hope this helps,

...S

ETomk
Beginner

Hello and thanks for the reply,

Honestly, I don't have a clue where to start with mobo's. I'm looking at an i5 7600k in terms of CPUs, however an i7 is a possibility. I just need some recommendations on mobos and compatibile cpus as I really do not know where to start

Thanks,

Ewan

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is a very difficult question for us to answer for you. We really don't understand what your needs are and how much you are willing to spend (your suggestion of an i5, rather than a i7, indicates that a budget is in place). What components from your existing system would you like to retain in your new system? If you are purchasing a new SSD at the same time, for example, you could consider using a (much, much higher performance) M.2 NVMe SSD and this would affect which motherboards are to be considered.

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Cro,

If you are planning to purchase the Intel® 7th generation processor i5-7600k you will need to build a complete new system, you will need to buy new motherboard and RAM.

The motherboards compatible for the Intel® i5-7600K can be found here:

http://processormatch.intel.com/MotherBoards/CompatibleBoards?componentName=i5-7600K http://processormatch.intel.com/MotherBoards/CompatibleBoards?componentName=i5-7600K

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos