1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 11:41 AM by Intel Corporation

DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed

Metallica88

Hi everyone,

after a Ransomware cleanup of the hard disks of a PC I put them back into the original PC.

First, the SSD with Windows only >> having no problems, then I put 3 other drives back into the PC and two of these devices were not recognized by Windows. After checking all cables I recognized that on boot nothing was displayed still Windows User Login appeared (No Intel Logo and no Raid Configuration). So I tried to get into the BIOS via Windows 10 (Update & Security – Recovery …) to check the configuration and also looking for the hard drives in UEFI.

But on restart (into UEFI) nothing happened and the screen remained black. Only by switching the power supply switch off/on I was able to boot back to Windows. For me, it seemed that there was something wrong with the UEFI so I tried to “Update” it to the same version since the newest version was already installed.

After rebooting for the Update again everything remained black. Again I switched off/on the power supply switch and started again. It seemed that the PC was busy for a while (screen remained black) doing a restart and the fans get louder for a short time; shortly after the PC reboots again.

Since them, I was not able to get something on the screen (tried different displays, cables and even onboard and explicit graphics card). The PC starts and probably reads from the attached devices but cannot boot (maybe since false UEFI configuration). In minimal configuration (only CPU, Mainboard, 1 DDR3 DIMM) it starts and reboots approximately every second (directly reboot after start, again and again). Having DVD or Harddisks plugged > the time to reboot increases.
      There are no beep codes on startup. Taking out all DIMMs beep code works.

I took out the BIOS Battery for over 1 hour, I also tried to Reset UEFI and to Recover UEFI via Stick (2GB Stick, FAT32 on different onboard USB) and also to Recover UEFI via CD-Rom.

I believe the UEFI works in principle but does not show up anything.

What can I do? Is the Mainboard really defect or do I overlook a fault?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
      Metallica88

• 1. Re: DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed
          N.Scott.Pearson

I suggest that you try two things. First, clear CMOS. Unplug the system from the wall and remove the CR2032 battery from the board for at least 15 minutes. Second, update the the latest BIOS using the Recovery Method. This is documented here: Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions. My additional input on this process is as follows:

1. Use only USB 2.0 flash disks. Do not use USB 3.0 flash disks.
          2. Regardless of its pedigree, reformat the flash disk on a Windows-based PC and using the FAT32 file system. Do not use any other file system. Do not use MAC or Linux O/S to do this.
          3. Place only the single .BIO file for the latest BIOS on this flash disk. There should be no other content on the flash stick.
          4. Plug the flash stick into a (black) USB 2.0 port on the rear panel of the board. Do not use USB 3.0 ports. Do no use front panel ports.

If the HDDs were well and truly scrubbed during the cleanup, you may have to reinitialize them from within the Windows Disk Management applet before you can see and use them.

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed
            Metallica88

Hi,

thanks for input, unfortunately I already tried the two mentioned things without success → That was what I meant with "I took out the BIOS Battery for over 1 hour, I also tried to Reset UEFI and to Recover UEFI via Stick (2GB Stick, FAT32 on different onboard USB) and also to Recover UEFI via CD-Rom."

Sorry for the unclear statement...

Metallica88

• 3. Re: DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed
              N.Scott.Pearson

Have you tried a maintenance boot? Power off and move the BIOS Configuration jumper from the 1-2 pins to the 2-3 pins. When you power on, it is supposed to go directly into BIOS Setup using a default configuration.

If this works, first thing you should do is use F9 to reset the BIOS configuration to defaults (and set the date and time)...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed
                Metallica88

Yes, I also tried to move into BIOS Configuration, but PC also goes directly into restart loop, without displaying something :-(

Metallica88

• 5. Re: DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Explain in detail what you have had hooked up throughout this process. What video cable? What monitor? What add-in video card? What memory? (Hint: remove all extra DIMMs other than the one in ChannelA DIMM0)

...S

• 6. Re: DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed
                    Metallica88

Ok,

I tried DVI with a Gainward nVidia GT640 and an older Samsung Monitor (SyncMaster 203B) and also HDMI with a newer LG Monitor (W2261VT). I also tried the HDMI and LG Monitor with onboard HDMI.
                    The DIMMs used are Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX which are on the tested configuration list and which should be configured using 1.65V (not standard 1.5V). I already tried different of these Kingston DIMMs on different channels (starting with ChannelA DIMM0). Unfortunately I have no 1.5V DDR3 DIMM for testing.The nVidia GT640 and both Monitors were used as standard with this PC; (onboard Graphic was never used before).

Without DIMMs the board runs not into boot loop → BIOS Beep code for Memory Failure (3 times beep) until turn off manually.

With DIMMs in minimal Configuration (CPU, Mainboard, only one DIMM, power supply, nothing else) and Jumper to normal position → directly boot loop (< 1sec till restart);
                    (also tried outside the case on antistatic ground to get sure that it is not a safety turn off but with same result)

With DIMM in minimal configuration and Jumper to configuration position → directly boot loop (<1sec till restart)

With DIMM in minimal configuration and no Jumper (Recovery mode) → boot loop takes a little bit longer (1-2 sec)

With DIMM in minimal configuration, no Jumper and a DVD over SATA → tries to read from CD but after a few seconds (4-5 sec) the PC also restarts with the same procedure...

Additional Information: CPU is a Intel i5-3xxx (without k) but I don't know the exact model.

Thanks,
                    Metallica88

• 7. Re: DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed
                      N.Scott.Pearson

I hate to say it, but it seems like you have exhausted all of the standard remedies. Something may have failed on the board or some level of firmware corruption may have occurred (an unfortunately common issue when blindly attempting BIOS Recovery); there is no way to tell. It may be time to consider a replacement or upgrade...

Sorry,

...S

• 8. Re: DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much to for all the suggestions provided previously.

To :

As it was mentioned, pretty much you tried all the troubleshooting steps we recommend for this type of scenario.

At this point one of the things to do will be to swap parts, if you have the option to either use your processor on a different board or use your board with a different processor we will be able to confirm if the problem happens because of the processor or motherboard, and even though you need to use a video card, for testing purposes to test the onboard video will another step to try, to rule out a possible problem with the video card itself.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 9. Re: DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed
                          Metallica88

Hi, first of all, thank you both for your replies!

Since lack of time, I will retry everything again but not until tomorrow evening respectively Wednesday. In addition, I will test the video card on my own PC and I will also try another power supply unit for the not working PC. I was also probably able to organize a DDR3 DIMM that runs on the standard 1.5V

At least at the moment, I do not have the option to swap processor or mainboard.

Again Thank you all!

I will keep you up-to-date.

Regards,

Metallica88

• 10. Re: DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed
                            Intel Corporation

Hello :

You are welcome.

Perfect, take your time to do those tests and when you get the chance please let us know the results.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 11. Re: DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed
                              Metallica88

Hi again,

whether another video card nor another power supply unit changed the behavior.

Again I tried to recover the UEFI using different flash sticks, trying all different USB Ports directly on the motherboard and also trying different versions of the UEFI - all without success.

In contrast to my earlier statement, I had not the feeling that there is a difference between recovery mode with a connected flash stick and recovery mode without a connected flash stick. I would say automatic reboot time increases generally in recovery mode (something between 5-10 sec – I did not use a stopwatch) compared to normal or configuration mode.

I haven’t got the other DIMMs for testing at the moment, but even I don’t believe that other DIMMs will resolve the problem.

Since the PC boots into Windows until I tried to flash a new UEFI but was not able to display UEFI configuration before >> I’m pretty sure that whether DIMMs nor the CPU are the problems.

Are there any other ideas that I could try?

Is there the possibility to repair the board by intel service?

Regards,

Metallica88

• 12. Re: DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed
                                Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for providing those details.

Basically besides the option to swap parts at this point we tried all the possible steps to try to fix this problem.
                                The Intel warranty offers the replacement of the unit, the option for repairs is not available, let me apologize for that.
                                To do that and if the board is within the 3 year warranty period, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support; you just need to select motherboard on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@12

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 13. Re: DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed
                                  Metallica88

Hi,

just one question:

there is a red LED beside the Processor fan header blinking one time on start and also one time before turning off again.

I was not able to find information for this in the technical product specification.

Is it just a LED that blinks every time turning the PC on/off or is there a more special meaning for it?

Regards,

Metallica88

• 14. Re: DZ77SL-50K: Reboot Loop - nothing displayed
                                    N.Scott.Pearson

I believe that this is a CPU/VR Hot error LED. It is not abnormal to see this flash once or twice at power on or power off. If it stays on solid, however, it is an indicator of a problem (the VR components are not receiving adequate airflow to cool them, the processor's heatsink is not properly attached and/or the associated cooling fan(s) has/have failed).

...S

1 2 Previous Next