8 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2017 12:21 AM by GeorgeS.Bear

NUC6CAYH - 5.1 Audio not working via HDMI

StanciFUC

Hello,

I am recently bought NUC6CAYH to work with my ONKYO HT-R393 Home teather witch supports HDMI2.0, but it seems that I am not able to get 5.1 sound via  HDMI connection.

I am using UBUNTU 16.10 and already tried 16.04.02 with the same result. I am able to only use STEREO even there is an option in Sound control to set HDMI 5.1 and 7.1.

After switching to 5.1 there is still working only 2 speakers. Situation si even worse when trying to play movie (x.264). I only hear background music of the movie but not the voices of actors.

Do you know where should be a problem ?

I aqm really frustrated as I bought NUC to be HTPC and for playing the movies in x264 and x.265

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYH - 5.1 Audio not working via HDMI
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello StanciFUC,

I would like to gather more information in regard to your system configuration, this will help to address this issue in the most accurate matter. So, please respond to the following;

• Provide your Intel® SSU report, get the tool here; Download Intel® System Support Utility.
          • What is the brand and model of your HDMI cable?
          • Are you running the latest firmware version for your receiver?

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYH - 5.1 Audio not working via HDMI
            StanciFUC

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your reaction  to my topic.

I am not experiencing any issues while running Windows 10.

Unfortunatelly I can not send you data throught Intel System Support Utility from affected system  as I have problem with Ubuntu as mentioned before.

I am attaching files colected on Win

My A/V receiver is Onkyo HT-R393 running on latest firmware.

I am using PremiumCord HDMI 2.0 High Speed + Ethernet  cable  with product number 8592220014247 , but I also tried couple of HDMI 1.4 cables with same result.

• 3. Re: NUC6CAYH - 5.1 Audio not working via HDMI
              Intel Corporation

StanciFUC, thank you for all that information.

Please let me review your case, as soon as I have more information I will update the thread.

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYH - 5.1 Audio not working via HDMI
                rguevara

Hi StanciFUC,

I would think that if you don’t see this issue when running Windows 10 then it has to be drives related, Intel doesn’t provide drivers for Linux and Linux operating system validation is limited.

I would recommend that you try drivers and patches available at: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2016q4-intel-graphics-stack-recipe this is the only recommendation I have at the moment.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ronny G

• 5. Re: NUC6CAYH - 5.1 Audio not working via HDMI
                  Intel Corporation

StanciFUC, hope the information posted above helped you, if you have more questions please let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

• 6. Re: NUC6CAYH - 5.1 Audio not working via HDMI
                    GeorgeS.Bear

Hi,

I just purchased a NUC6CAYH and installed ubuntu 16.04.2

Multi-channel (5.1 or 7.1) audio dolby digital and dts do NOT make it to my Yamaha receiver from Kodi.

I think the "assumed answered" status on the original question is incorrect.  It certainly misled me into thinking nuc multi-channel sound worked under ubuntu.  I'm certainly feeling buyer remorse!

I've tried disabling pulseaudio and using alsa instead per this:

http://kodi.wiki/view/PulseAudio/HOW-TO:_Disable_PulseAudio_and_use_ALSA_(without_removing_PulseAudio)_for_Ubuntu

I certainly got different options in Kodi's system/settings/system/audio output, but Kodi starts up with a red 'no sound' icon in the upper right corner and no changes I can make will turn that off.  And no sound at all.

Edit: May 29 - 

With the stock config of pulseaudio, I never got anything higher than stereo via HDMI.

somehow, struggling with different settings, the volume in Kodi got turned off.  That's what the red 'no sound' icon means.  After turning the volume to max, I DID get 5.1 (dts and ac3) working via hdmi in Kodi.  I NEVER got optical Toslink working at all.

I disabled pulseaudio per above link, and chose the following in Kodi's system/settings/system/audio output/

Audio output device: "HDA Intel PCH, GSM LG TV on HDMI #0"

Number of channels: 5.1

Output configuration: optimized

Stereo upmix: not selected

Maintain original volume on downmix: selected

Resample quality: medium

keep audio device alive: 1 minute

play gui sounds: never

Enable passthrough: selected

Passthrough output device: "HDA Intel PCH, GSM LT TV on HDMI #0"

Dolby digital (ac3) capable receiver: selected

and everything else capable receiver: selected...

I suspect, unless you also own and LG TV, you might see your own device on HDMI #0.

While playing a video, press keyboard "Enter", select speaker icon to get "Audio and subtitle settings" dialog.  I chose the following:

Volume at: 0.0 dB

"Enable passthrough"  selected

Ken

• 7. Re: NUC6CAYH - 5.1 Audio not working via HDMI
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Some thoughts...

Have you checked for updated graphics/audio driver package(s)?

Have you tried installing the Ubuntu 17.04 release instead?

• 8. Re: NUC6CAYH - 5.1 Audio not working via HDMI
                        GeorgeS.Bear

No to updated graphics/audio driver packages - mostly because I haven't found anything nicely packaged that can be installed and removed via apt-get.  I'm not into fiddling around with low-level drivers manually.

No for Ubuntu 17.