5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2017 1:01 PM by Intel Corporation

Powering external devices using NUC6i5SYK

katemonster33

Hi,

I am working on a project that involves talking to Playstation controllers using digital I/O. My idea requires more CPU power than a Raspberry Pi can put out, so I decided to look into the NUC. It fits well in the enclosure that I'm trying to use, but I am concerned about the (potential) max power draw of all the things I plan to power with the NUC.

I heard about the Custom Solutions Header, which is what got me into the NUC, but without thinking, I bought one without it, so I added an Arduino and made up a quick serial comm protocol for sending the data to and from the NUC. I tested that and verified that it works, but now the problem is power. Currently, the controllers are powered from the front panel header, because powering them from the Arduino exceeds the 0.5A output of USB. I read another post talking about the power limits of the front panel header, so it sounds like I need to stay away from powering my stuff with it. I looked briefly at the NUC5i5MYHE, but not only is the processor a generation behind the one I have, it costs 100 USD more (I found the one I have for 300) and lacks an HDMI port, which I really need. I do like the thought of handling all my digital I/O directly from the NUC without needing a separate device, and it seems the headers have a nice and comfortable 2.0A output, but it doesn't seem like the boards available really fit the bill. I also don't want to completely break the bank with this project, so I'd like to avoid spending even more money. I also saw the DE3815TYBE NUC, but it's way too slow for me to even consider. Is there any other way for me to power my stuff while staying in the limits of the NUC board's power output capability?