4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2017 6:56 AM by PeteB

Building Edison Yocto image without Java

PeteB

I've been working on this for a few days. Does anyone know how to remove Java from the 3.5 BSP? I don't need Java, UPM, Javascript, NodeJS, tinyb, or any other Java dependency at this time. My project is strictly console C++ using QT5 and doesn't need all the extra stuff that Java and NodeJS brings with it. Basically, I would like to turn them off. However, simply editing recipes to remove references to those packages isn't doing it. I knowAnyone know what the root for this is? How do I simply remove Java from the latest Yocto image?

• 1. Re: Building Edison Yocto image without Java
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi PeteB,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel Edison Platform.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems removing undesired packages from your customize image. Have you already checked this guide Board Support Package (BSP) User Guide for Intel® Edison Development... ? Please refer to Section 4 where it explains how to remove packages from your image.

If you already followed the guide provided above, please let me know the steps that you are taking to customize your image, so that I can replicate your issue.

I will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
          -Jose P.

• 2. Re: Building Edison Yocto image without Java
            PeteB

I have, but the problem is you can't just directly "exclude" using local.conf something included by dependency in Yocto. So, in this case, I'm asking to know if anyone can tell me which packages depend on openjdk to see if I can just take them all out. Excluding a package is easy, excluding one with a variety of dependencies is hard.

• 3. Re: Building Edison Yocto image without Java
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi PeteB,

Unfortunately Yocto issues are out of the scope of our support, I think that the Yocto community will be able to provide a better assistance.

Yocto community: https://www.yoctoproject.org/tools-resources/community .

Now, that said, I found this thread Re: Building 20160606 from source  where a customer built an image without Java. If you read carefully throughout the thread, you will find that the recipe that the user configure was the icedtea7. I think that it might be worth the shot to remove this recipe and see if this deletes all the package dependencies on OpenJDK. 

We will be waiting for your results, hope you have a nice day!

Best Regards,
              -Jose P

• 4. Re: Building Edison Yocto image without Java
                PeteB

I would argue this isn't a yocto issue, it's an image issue. The image you provide requires Java out of the gate, which is nice, but not always necessary. It would be good to have a way to exclude those items which might pose a security or usage risk so users can build an image that suits the need. The referenced thread does seem to solve the issue, but is vague about it. I will work with that information to see if I can build it. In the meantime, I may just live with the system built, and disable services directly on the firmware to avoid running anything I don't need or want.

Anyway, I think I have enough now to do what I want to do. Thank you for the response.