11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2017 12:56 PM by Intel Corporation

How to drive a slightly big servo motor from intel galileo(a 7.5V servo)

mishra007

Hi I wish to implement my control algorithms in an indoor blimp and it has got a slightly big servo(which runs off a 7.5V battery). How can I drive this servo from intel galileo gen2? Do I need to buy any external drivers?Kindly help! Will L293D help?

• 1. Re: How to drive a slightly big servo motor from intel galileo(a 7.5V servo)
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi mishra007,

Thank you for contacting us. We’d like to help guide you with this case. When using the Galileo to control a servo, it’s important to take into account the following considerations. First, the Galileo is not meant to power the servo, nor any of the signals the servo requires. The Galileo is meant to provide control signals, so the servo knows how to operate, it’s not meant to power the servo. If you try to power the servo with the board you could end up damaging the board, because the servo requires more power than what the Galileo can provide.

The servo, on the other hand needs its own power supply, and the control signals from the Galileo need to be connected to external circuitry. This external circuitry is meant to amplify the control signals out of the Galileo into something that the servo can use to be moved.

You can implement this external circuitry with different motor drivers. I haven’t used the L293D you mentioned, but, you can try it out and report your results back to us. Make sure that it meets the power requirements your servo needs.

Let us know your results.

-Sergio A

• 2. Re: How to drive a slightly big servo motor from intel galileo(a 7.5V servo)
            FGT

mishra007 wrote:

Hi I wish to implement my control algorithms in an indoor blimp and it has got a slightly big servo(which runs off a 7.5V battery). How can I drive this servo from intel galileo gen2? Do I need to buy any external drivers?Kindly help! Will L293D help?

Hi mishra007,

Please send the data of the servo you are trying to handle. Please send the calbing connections you are using or plan to use (or tell us if you have never connected your servo to the Galileo).

The L293D is not meant to drive servos AFAIK, but DC motors.

Fernando.

• 3. Re: How to drive a slightly big servo motor from intel galileo(a 7.5V servo)
              mishra007

FGT wrote:

mishra007 wrote:

Hi mishra007,

Please send the data of the servo you are trying to handle. Please send the calbing connections you are using or plan to use (or tell us if you have never connected your servo to the Galileo).

Fernando.

Hi FGT!

I knew it would come to this,The problem is I cant find any servo specifications mentioned in RC zepplin's website from where I bought the blimp. All I could find out after dismantling the gondola was--that it runs off a 7.5V battery and that the servo is slightly bigger than the futuba servo I am used to!I mean this particular servo also has 3 wires--one PWM,another for gnd and last one for Vcc. So given these conditions how am I supposed to control it from intel galileo?

I guess the best bet is to power the servo separately and then feed the PWM pulses from intel galileo.That should do,perhaps?

• 4. Re: How to drive a slightly big servo motor from intel galileo(a 7.5V servo)
                FGT

mishra007 wrote:

FGT wrote:

mishra007 wrote:

Hi mishra007,

Fernando.

Hi FGT!

I knew it would come to this,The problem is I cant find any servo specifications mentioned in RC zepplin's website from where I bought the blimp. All I could find out after dismantling the gondola was--that it runs off a 7.5V battery and that the servo is slightly bigger than the futuba servo I am used to!I mean this particular servo also has 3 wires--one PWM,another for gnd and last one for Vcc. So given these conditions how am I supposed to control it from intel galileo?

I guess the best bet is to power the servo separately and then feed the PWM pulses from intel galileo.That should do,perhaps?

I think it should work, at least it would be what I'd try.

Remember that only the pins identified with ~ are capable of generating PWM signals.

If it does not work please tell us, sometimes it is necessary to initialize the servo library with some special value I do not have the reminder at hand right now.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 5. Re: How to drive a slightly big servo motor from intel galileo(a 7.5V servo)
                  mishra007

FGT wrote:

mishra007 wrote:

FGT wrote:

mishra007 wrote:

Hi mishra007,

Fernando.

Hi FGT!

Remember that only the pins identified with ~ are capable of generating PWM signals.

If it does not work please tell us, sometimes it is necessary to initialize the servo library with some special value I do not have the reminder at hand right now.

HTH,

Fernando.

16837766_1677118968982988_2116347209_n.jpg

16837823_1677118988982986_725853987_n.jpg

This is the gondola and that is the servo

• 6. Re: How to drive a slightly big servo motor from intel galileo(a 7.5V servo)
                    mishra007

FGT wrote:

mishra007 wrote:

FGT wrote:

mishra007 wrote:

Hi mishra007,

Fernando.

Hi FGT!

HTH,

Fernando.

Also Fernando,What wifi adaptor shall I buy for my gen 2?Is there a way to increase the range of the wifi?Like using Lora modules or something? Can you suggest something that will help me increase the range of wifi--so that my intel galileo gen 2 remains connected to router all the time. I wish to have a range of something like 20-30m.

• 7. Re: How to drive a slightly big servo motor from intel galileo(a 7.5V servo)
                      FGT

mishra007 wrote:

[photos]

This is the gondola and that is the servo

Nice pictures, thank you. Is the servo working fine (controlled by the Galileo)?

Fernando.

• 8. Re: How to drive a slightly big servo motor from intel galileo(a 7.5V servo)
                        FGT

mishra007 wrote:

Also Fernando,What wifi adaptor shall I buy for my gen 2?Is there a way to increase the range of the wifi?Like using Lora modules or something? Can you suggest something that will help me increase the range of wifi--so that my intel galileo gen 2 remains connected to router all the time. I wish to have a range of something like 20-30m.

I've not used any "Intel Galileo compliant" wifi adaptor. There are some threads about it/them, you can look for in this forum. I did use the ESP8266 module (Wi-Fi module ESP8266 in Galileo ) taking advantage of Intel Galileo pins 0-1 are not used by the Serial Monitor or even to upload Arduino sketches.

I've not made any range experiments, but range should be about that provided by wifi (remember wifi is a norm). I thnk that 20-30m range should be covered inmost scenarios (it will depend of physical obstacles, wifi noise, etc., as in every standard wifi scenarios).

If I understand correctly, you are planning to use the Intel Galileo powered by some battery, so please take into account several power-related warnings Intel people has made, you can find them in this forum too. I'd suggest you open another thread specifically on Intel Galileo power source for your specific project. I've never used Intel Galileo without a wall wart.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 9. Re: How to drive a slightly big servo motor from intel galileo(a 7.5V servo)
                          mishra007

FGT wrote:

mishra007 wrote:

I've not used any "Intel Galileo compliant" wifi adaptor. There are some threads about it/them, you can look for in this forum. I did use the ESP8266 module (Wi-Fi module ESP8266 in Galileo ) taking advantage of Intel Galileo pins 0-1 are not used by the Serial Monitor or even to upload Arduino sketches.

I've not made any range experiments, but range should be about that provided by wifi (remember wifi is a norm). I thnk that 20-30m range should be covered inmost scenarios (it will depend of physical obstacles, wifi noise, etc., as in every standard wifi scenarios).

If I understand correctly, you are planning to use the Intel Galileo powered by some battery, so please take into account several power-related warnings Intel people has made, you can find them in this forum too. I'd suggest you open another thread specifically on Intel Galileo power source for your specific project. I've never used Intel Galileo without a wall wart.

HTH,

Fernando.

Hi Fernando!

I am planning to use intel galileo as a substitute(experimental) for a proper autopilot like erle brain,emlid's etc!I have got a 3300mah battery that powers dc motor,the servo and also galileo. I zeroed in onto intel galileo because of the flexibility and ease of usage--particularly itz ability to run python scripts(although at expense of time)!  I would like to inform you that I would be conducting my experimenting in my department's hall or auditorium hence there arent any obstacles.
                          These are the things I have already done with my intel galileo-
                          1)Implementing PubNub

2)Implementing Tornado
                          3)Implementing dweet
                          4)Implementing simple PID controller to control the servo.

This is the battery that I'd be using for my experiment-

16880877_1678278828867002_838854921_o.jpg
                          here are my own videos that you might find interesting!-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTTjkKsB2Kc&t=16s

2)
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Cp2aaK5GM

3)
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti2waMTKRLE

4)
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EVi3IkCdOg&t=37s

• 10. Re: How to drive a slightly big servo motor from intel galileo(a 7.5V servo)
                            FGT

Hi mishra007,

Nice videos, thank you very much,

Fernando.

• 11. Re: How to drive a slightly big servo motor from intel galileo(a 7.5V servo)
                              Intel Corporation
                              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Very interesting videos indeed. Thank you very much for sharing. Please let us know if you still need assistance with this case. Feel free to open a new community thread as FGT mentioned, if you wish to discuss a new issue.

Regards,
                              -Sergio A